Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 08:41:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  History made in NFL officiating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: History made in NFL officiating  (Read 5519 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »

Just how tough is it to blow the whistle when a trainer is telling you they have an injured player? This is being blown WAY out of proportion. There will be some mistakes made, but lets be honest, the regular refs make their fair share of mistakes too. This is nothing but a ploy to get the NFL to cave and it's not going to work.

These replacement refs have been beyond awful though. I know its preseason so nobody cares and its no big deal. But when the games count. When people got $$$ riding on games. You will hear an uproar WHEN mistakes are made. When teams are cost wins.
Landshark
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:47:05 pm »

Just how tough is it to blow the whistle when a trainer is telling you they have an injured player? This is being blown WAY out of proportion. There will be some mistakes made, but lets be honest, the regular refs make their fair share of mistakes too. This is nothing but a ploy to get the NFL to cave and it's not going to work.

Sometimes a player may be concussed and want to keep playing, but the trainer doesn't see it because they are on the sideline but the official has a better ability to notice because he is right there.
Landshark
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »

If the safety issue is not a reason to get rid of these scab reds, that pass interference call on Quentin Lawrence surely is.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

Sometimes a player may be concussed and want to keep playing, but the trainer doesn't see it because they are on the sideline but the official has a better ability to notice because he is right there.
I can't remember a time when an official stopped a game because he thought a player had a concussion. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I just think it's exceedingly rare. I have however seen players call the trainers onto the field tons of times to look at a player when they "didn't look all there" in the huddle for example. It's a very weak point. Very weak.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »

I can't remember a time when an official stopped a game because he thought a player had a concussion. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I just think it's exceedingly rare. I have however seen players call the trainers onto the field tons of times to look at a player when they "didn't look all there" in the huddle for example. It's a very weak point. Very weak.

There was a game last year where a ref refused to let a player return to the game even though the team said he was OK. I want to say it was Buffalo-NYJ but I may be mistaken. I just remember it happened once last year.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:31 pm »

These replacement refs have been beyond awful though. I know its preseason so nobody cares and its no big deal. But when the games count. When people got $$$ riding on games. You will hear an uproar WHEN mistakes are made. When teams are cost wins.

The replacements have been nothing short of awful.  The regular refs aren't perfect by a long shot, but these folks look like they have no idea what's going on.  Did the NFL pick them up from Pop Warner?

The NFL needs to bite the bullet and bring back the real refs...and make them full time employees to help decrease their mistakes as well.  It's about the integrity of the game.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 12:32:01 am »

The replacements have been nothing short of awful.  The regular refs aren't perfect by a long shot, but these folks look like they have no idea what's going on.  Did the NFL pick them up from Pop Warner?

The NFL needs to bite the bullet and bring back the real refs...and make them full time employees to help decrease their mistakes as well.  It's about the integrity of the game.
Not Pop Warner but DIV IAA

The regular refs don't want to be full time, they got better high paying jobs they do all year round. They just want some pension stuff. That is what the bulk of the whole argument is over.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:08:06 am »

http://deadspin.com/5939113/we-can-only-hope-nfl-referee-don-kings-incompetence-will-bring-about-labor-peace

Get ready for more of this. The video speaks for itself!
bsfins
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:53 am »

Anyone know if she only worked the one game?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 11:24:38 am »

As far as this thing goes, both sides are being a bit unreasonable.

The NFL wants referres to be full time employees. I just do not see that as reasonable. The current system works fine. I know these guys go through a lot of off the field training but maybe we can compromise and make a few more demand of their time but expecting them to commit a full week to nothing else just seems wasteful. What would the NFL have them do all week?

The referres want pensions. Most of the United States do not have pensions anymore. Take a 401K plan and keep your mouth shut about it. Much of our workforce does not have that.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:18 am »

As far as this thing goes, both sides are being a bit unreasonable.

The NFL wants referres to be full time employees. I just do not see that as reasonable.

Actually that is not what they want.  They want 7 refs to become full time with duties beyond just reffing the games but also training, quaility control, recuitement, etc.

The referres want pensions. Most of the United States do not have pensions anymore. Take a 401K plan and keep your mouth shut about it. Much of our workforce does not have that.

It is even further than that.  How many part time employees have pensions? If the NFL was looking to have all the refs become full time (which they are not, dispite claims otherwise) than I would agree with the refs wanting expanded benifits (better health care, pension, etc).  But pensions for part-time employess seem silly.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

I agree 100%.  For the most part player safety isn't the issue, quaility of calls is. 

If you want to make a safety issue, it would be the possiblity of the ref being late blowing the play dead when a QB is being sacked when he is in the grasp of another player and in danger of being hit by a second player.   (A rule many NFL fans have trouble understanding)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:21 pm »

Did anyone see the Cowboys broadcast of the game last night? Apparently new this year the trainers have a video booth on the sidelines much like the replay officials where they can watch replays as well to determine injuries to players. If they think for instance a player was "out" before hitting the ground for example, they'll take them out of the game to check for a concussion etc. Or if they just want to see what happened on a play so that they can better diagnose an injury for example.

With this technology there's really no reason why a trainer wouldn't be able to spot a player who might need medical attention.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »

Earlier in pre-season I thought people were exaggerating how bad these refs are. After watching some more games, wow was I wrong. If the NFL starts with these replacement refs it is going to be an absolute joke.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray