Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 10:15:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Phoenix Coyotes might be gone.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Phoenix Coyotes might be gone.  (Read 2430 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 01:39:06 am »

Now that the Oakland A's are moving to Las Vegas should they leave the "A's" name behind?  I don't see Oakland getting another major league franchise from any sport; heck they are only getting 2,500 people to show up for games.  In this case I'd be alright with them taking their name with them, especially since the Raiders moved to Las Vegas already.  But it really should be up to the people in Oakland to decide.
Late response, but the people in Philadelphia and Kansas City didn't get a choice when the A's left them.

I am much less concerned with preserving the history of a team that previously existed in a different city with the "same" name.  So fans of the Oakland A's, the San Diego Chargers, or yes, even the LA Rams do not have the strongest claim to holding on to the team history in a move.  However, in the case of the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes, although they were previously the Winnipeg Jets, if they were moved from AZ they should leave the Coyotes' history behind (and return the Jets' history to the current team, while they're at it).  I would say the same thing if the Chiefs moved, despite them originally being the Dallas Texans.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2023, 01:50:40 pm »

Late response, but the people in Philadelphia and Kansas City didn't get a choice when the A's left them.

I am much less concerned with preserving the history of a team that previously existed in a different city with the "same" name.  So fans of the Oakland A's, the San Diego Chargers, or yes, even the LA Rams do not have the strongest claim to holding on to the team history in a move.  However, in the case of the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes, although they were previously the Winnipeg Jets, if they were moved from AZ they should leave the Coyotes' history behind (and return the Jets' history to the current team, while they're at it).  I would say the same thing if the Chiefs moved, despite them originally being the Dallas Texans.

That make sense.  A's is actually a team name that moves well.  It makes no sense that LA has a team named for the 10,000 lakes of Minnesota and another named for the pedestrians of Brooklyn.  Likewise San Fran shouldn't have a team named after the tall buildings of Manhattan.  I am glad Carolina has hurricanes instead of whalers and there are no Tennessee Oilers.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray