Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 07:26:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Why Biden won't close our southern border
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why Biden won't close our southern border  (Read 1450 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 07:21:52 am »

But you don't have any data indicating that immigrant Somali gangsters are causing "falling school standards."  It's just something you call "common sense" because you prefer to blame immigrants.
Are black babies more frequently given up for adoption because of their race?
Are Asians more successful because of their race?
No need to sugar coat your answer; speak freely.

When I said, "It's the same meal, just reheated for a new generation," I meant that nothing you're saying is new.  There have been people saying, "It's no coincidence that white people are more successful than black people, just look at the data" for centuries.  And the kind of people who think that's "just common sense" have a very particular world view.
Thank you for proving my point. I honestly don't understand the people who see race in everything. It seems to me it's just some sort of attention getter because no one is noticing them kind of thing to me. People are bad or good and when describing them their race is one thing you notice. Cracks me up when you see them reporting crime and never mention the guy being black or Arabic or whatever ... but they will quickly tell you to be on the look out for a white male as if it's only important to describe white people. There is a reason why things like Brady's roast or comedy from politically incorrect comedians are getting so popular. People are tired of putting up with people who they know don't believe in the political correctness they are spewing.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 09:18:41 am »

Politically incorrect comedians have always been popular.  Comedy has pretty much always been the bastion of being able to break the rules of polite society, so long as you can manage the audience.  It's when you aren't funny enough and the audience turns against you that things become problematic.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 10:30:28 am »

Politically incorrect comedians have always been popular. 

And controversial.  And many comedians/shows that today seems real bland today was extremely edgy in there time.  A rerun of Fred Rodgers sharing a pool with François Clemmons is a nothingburger today, when it first aired it was called it shoving integration down children’s troughs.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 11:19:05 am »

I responded to someone on facebook today and said this:

The art of comedy is to say the wrong thing, but in a package where it is reflective or ironic or makes the audience recognize something about themselves that they might not have otherwise or to confront an uncomfortable truth. Then, you laugh in spite of the joke. I've laughed at truly horrific shit before, but it was in a greater context.

The reality is that the context changes. You can watch Archie Bunker and think it's funny. But it came out in a time where it was mirroring back something to its audience that was biting commentary. Those same jokes, if put on primetime CBS today, wouldn't work. It's not just because we're too PC, but it's because they wouldn't be funny because the world has changed.

These comedians are missing the point of why their jokes are failing. We can do and say so much more now than ever before. Lucy and Ricky couldn't even sleep in the same bed. Those same premises wouldn't work on a show now and it's not because we're more uptight about content. It's just that we have evolved and for comedy to still be funny, it has to evolve with us.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 11:23:50 am »

I saw a white comedian use the n word the other day, in a way that I thought turned the joke on its head.

I'm going to butcher the delivery, but he was talking about it in a very careful way that seemed like he was about to say something offensive, but he was dancing around it, and then the joke was basically about how he hears black people call each other the n-word and how that's acceptable, and you're expecting it to go kinda racist, but then it's about how honored he is when a black guy calls him the n-word, and I found that true to life and funny.  But his set up played with the word's expectation and then he subverted it.

It was funny, he flipped the script, but he still said the "offensive" thing.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 02:40:22 pm »

I think there is element in comedy where it works best if you are making fun of yourself.  Jeff Foxworthy “you might be a redneck”is hilarious but if Jerry Sienfeld made the same jokes they wouldn’t have been as well received. 

Most of Brad Williams jokes won’t work if told by a 6 foot tall comedian. Josh Sundquist can make fun of amputees the rest of us shouldn’t.

I consider Gary Owens a particularly brilliant comedian because he is able to break out of of that confide and remain humerus rather than offensive.

I didn’t see the entire roast of Brady, but of the clips I did see the only joke I found cringe worthy was Brady’s joke referencing 9/11.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2024, 02:48:22 pm »

I am a defender of comedy and I literally don't think any topic or word is off-limits.

It's all about how you use it, the context, and the subversion.  ...and whether it's funny.  You can get away with a lot when people laugh.

I think when guys like Jerry Seinfeld get themselves in trouble for complaining, it's because they're complaining about things you can't do today, then he releases a movie about Pop Tarts.  Robert Downey Junior killed it doing blackface in a movie not THAT long ago, in a time where you weren't able to do blackface.  But the joke turned in on itself and rode the wave.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 04:31:56 am »

Thank you for proving my point.
I thought your point was, "This isn't racism, it's cold hard data," but apparently not?
Again, you don't have the data.  You're simply declaring that immigrant Somali gangs are a common-sense explanation for Sweden's problems.

I honestly don't understand the people who see race in everything.
Literally in back to back posts, you went from "Black babies are given up for adoption more often and Asians are more successful, it's just facts" to "I don't understand why other people see race in everything."

People are tired of putting up with people who they know don't believe in the political correctness they are spewing.
The people who are "tired of putting up with political correctness" are the same people who think schoolchildren need to be protected from books that mention a family with two dads, or a teenaged girl who kisses another girl... to say nothing of the books that discuss the history of slavery in the US.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 03:48:37 pm »

I saw a white comedian use the n word the other day, in a way that I thought turned the joke on its head.

I'm going to butcher the delivery, but he was talking about it in a very careful way that seemed like he was about to say something offensive, but he was dancing around it, and then the joke was basically about how he hears black people call each other the n-word and how that's acceptable, and you're expecting it to go kinda racist, but then it's about how honored he is when a black guy calls him the n-word, and I found that true to life and funny.  But his set up played with the word's expectation and then he subverted it.

It was funny, he flipped the script, but he still said the "offensive" thing.
I think I saw one that too. Didn't he start off by saying he was called a "Cracker" and it was kind of offensive because of the way the black guy said it?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 03:51:20 pm »

I am a defender of comedy and I literally don't think any topic or word is off-limits.

It's all about how you use it, the context, and the subversion.  ...and whether it's funny.  You can get away with a lot when people laugh.

I think when guys like Jerry Seinfeld get themselves in trouble for complaining, it's because they're complaining about things you can't do today, then he releases a movie about Pop Tarts.  Robert Downey Junior killed it doing blackface in a movie not THAT long ago, in a time where you weren't able to do blackface.  But the joke turned in on itself and rode the wave.
Many people complained about him wearing blackface but he and Ben Stiller have never backed down from it that I know of. I think its kind of like Dave Chappell bashing trans people. The fact he hasn't backed down has actually helped him overcome all the attacks.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 03:55:21 pm »

I thought your point was, "This isn't racism, it's cold hard data," but apparently not?
Again, you don't have the data.  You're simply declaring that immigrant Somali gangs are a common-sense explanation for Sweden's problems.
Literally in back to back posts, you went from "Black babies are given up for adoption more often and Asians are more successful, it's just facts" to "I don't understand why other people see race in everything."
The people who are "tired of putting up with political correctness" are the same people who think schoolchildren need to be protected from books that mention a family with two dads, or a teenaged girl who kisses another girl... to say nothing of the books that discuss the history of slavery in the US.
I love how you exaggerate everything to the point of it being just silly.  You really need to get out of San Francisco and see that people of different races, religions, or lack thereof, function just fine together in the real world.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 11:37:25 am »

Many people complained about him wearing blackface but he and Ben Stiller have never backed down from it that I know of. I think its kind of like Dave Chappell bashing trans people. The fact he hasn't backed down has actually helped him overcome all the attacks.

I don't think I agree.  I haven't seen widespread complaining about RDJ.  If anything, it's more just people being surprised in hindsight that a bigger deal wasn't made of it.

Chappelle is a different case.  He's one of my favorite comedians of all time.  He is still funny on occasion, but his recent specials have felt more like one man shows than comedy shows.  He still has some funny parts, but I have been kinda cringing through his trans sets for the last several specials.  It's not like I hate the guy, but those bits definitely aren't funny to me, but also they're kind of uncomfortable and I don't feel a connection to the message.

I feel that way about stand up comedy a lot, though.  I watch old stand up specials of Eddie Murphy and it's hard for me to find it funny, since it seems so dated.

Chappelle is at his funniest when he's talking about class struggle with the black community and white people comingling.  Police, drugs, growing up poor, etc.  Now that he's rich, he's way less relatable.  That happens all the time.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray