Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2024, 09:15:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Shaq Barrett retires days before the Dolphins training camp
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shaq Barrett retires days before the Dolphins training camp  (Read 624 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« on: July 20, 2024, 09:09:08 pm »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/shaquil-barrett-retires-months-after-signing-with-dolphins-potential-options-for-miami-to-fill-defensive-hole/

Well, that much-hyped offseason signing to help replace who we lost didn't work out so well.
Sibster

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2024, 06:04:42 pm »

His daughter drowned, bro!!  He also just had another daughter.   When it comes down to it, family is worth more than any job.  And in a job like this where guys can make more money in three or four years than most of us will in a lifetime, he'll be able to take good care of his family assuming he makes good decisions with the money.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 08:00:39 am by Sibster » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 01:56:31 am »

He played a full season after his daughter drowned. It must have taken a while to sink in.
Sibster

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 07:58:32 am »

He played a full season after his daughter drowned. It must have taken a while to sink in.

And he clearly wasn't right during that season and it showed in his performance.  I watched him.   I live in Orange City and follow both the Dolphins and the Bucs as there's a mixed bag of fans in this area.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 04:50:32 pm »

i see what you did there.  Savage.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 08:43:45 am »

His daughter drowned, bro!!  He also just had another daughter.   When it comes down to it, family is worth more than any job.  And in a job like this where guys can make more money in three or four years than most of us will in a lifetime, he'll be able to take good care of his family assuming he makes good decisions with the money.

No malice towards Shaq was intended in my post starting this thread - it's more of a question of whether the team really did due diligence under the circumstances?

If he was intended to be a quick fix... then this wasn't what they anticipated. That's more of a poor reflection on Grier than anyone else.

Sibster

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 11:16:06 am »

No malice towards Shaq was intended in my post starting this thread - it's more of a question of whether the team really did due diligence under the circumstances?

If he was intended to be a quick fix... then this wasn't what they anticipated. That's more of a poor reflection on Grier than anyone else.

Not necessarily the fault of Grier.   At some point in a player's career, he feels refreshed and ready to go one day, and then a week later, he could feel so messed up that he might not make it through another practice.  It explains why Vontae Davis retired in the middle of a game and Andrew Luck retired just before the third preseason game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray