Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2024, 09:29:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Good move, Houston. It all makes sense now!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good move, Houston. It all makes sense now!  (Read 2872 times)
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:14:11 am »

HOUSTON (May 8, 2006) -- The Houston Texans agreed to terms with running back Antowain Smith, giving the team a backup for starter Domanick Davis.

Last season with the New Orleans Saints, Smith filled in for Deuce McAllister after he suffered a season-ending knee injury and ran for 659 yards and three touchdowns.

The 34-year-old unrestricted free agent, who attended the University of Houston, has 6,881 yards rushing and 54 touchdowns in nine NFL seasons. He has also played for Tennessee, New England and Buffalo.

After passing on Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush in favor of defensive end Mario Williams in the draft, the Texans were in need of another running back. Davis missed five games last season with knee inflammation.

Also, Houston re-signed offensive lineman Zach Wiegert.

Wiegert started five games at right guard and seven games at right tackle last season. The 6-foot-5, 296-pounder missed four games with an ankle injury. He has started 128 games in 11 NFL seasons and has been with the Texans since 2003.

Terms of the deals were not released

Roll Eyes

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:45:52 am »

This makes no sense at all...the Texans weren't "in need of another RB."  Houston already had two backups for Dom Davis who are better than Antowain Smith... Jonathan Wells and Vernand Morency. Younger and healthier too...

Far be it from me to criticize a new NFL HC before he coaches his first game, but so far Kubiak hasn't done much to impress me with the way he's handling the personnel side of things.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 10:51:08 am »

Jonathan Wells got shipped out of town.

I thought it was more telling that they re-signed that offensive lineman.  Don't know much about him, but their O-line hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire lately.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 11:21:43 am »

Jonathan Wells got shipped out of town.

He was an unrestricted free agent, but he hasn't signed with anyone else to this point. I'd say that signing Antowain Smith to go with Morency behind Dom Davis certainly points to Houston "not" re-signing Wells though.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:09:37 pm »

Great, so instead of Reggie Bush, the Texans have two bum back-up RB's in Antowain Smith and Domanaick Davis.  Great Roll Eyes

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:39:02 pm »

Great, so instead of Reggie Bush, the Texans have two bum back-up RB's in Antowain Smith and Domanaick Davis. Great Roll Eyes

I don't get anyone calling Dom Davis a bum. Injury-prone, yeah, but he has as much or more talent than half the RBs in the game today. Running, catching out of the backfield, blocking in pass protection...Dom isn't a "bum" in any area of RB performance...except health.

~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:47:43 pm »

He was an unrestricted free agent, but he hasn't signed with anyone else to this point. I'd say that signing Antowain Smith to go with Morency behind Dom Davis certainly points to Houston "not" re-signing Wells though.
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant, especially since he's in Buffalo for tryouts now.  They're pretty safe to assume they're not interested in taking Wells back.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 05:15:02 pm »

Well unfortunately health is a big factor in the game, and you have to have that area covered as well.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 05:22:02 pm »

Well unfortunately health is a big factor in the game, and you have to have that area covered as well.

Not having perfect health doesn't make you a bum, Joe...it makes you a talented but injury prone player. I can't believe you even came back with that kind of response...  Roll Eyes

~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 06:12:38 pm »

Fred Taylor is a premiere back but he injures his ovaries annually.  He's still a good runner, just not dependable.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 07:01:48 pm »

Not having perfect health doesn't make you a bum, Joe...it makes you a talented but injury prone player. I can't believe you even came back with that kind of response...  Roll Eyes

I'd hate to say this, but I agree with Jtex on the fact that you have to have dependable backups as insurance in case your starter goes down. 

Case in point:  the 2002 Miami Dolphins.  5-1, rolling on offense.  Ricky running all over the field while Jay is hitting everything in sight.  Jay had just led the team to a come-from-behind win over the Broncos in Denver and broke his thumb and would be out six weeks.  Ray Lucas comes in, and singlehandedly flushes the 2002 season completely down the toilet by going 2-4 as a starter. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray