Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:12:02 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Rookie wage scale being explored...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rookie wage scale being explored...  (Read 2994 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »

There's always been one thing in the way of a rookie wage scale: The NFL Players' Union.

For some reason that still escapes me, the NFLPA has turned 180 degrees and proposed... a rookie wage scale.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81581842

Needless to say, they're giving it some massive spin, calling it "the proven performance plan". That's all well and dandy, but why have they been against such a thing for so long then? Could the sudden change of heart be due to the owners opting out of the CBA and the Union getting a bit antsy about 2011?

Personally, I hate the idea of teams throwing millions at players who have proved exactly nothing. On the other hand, teams are getting sole contract rights to a player. That should be worth something. For a top pick, they are essentially getting 5-6 years of whichever player they deem most worthy... and the contract isn't guaranteed. Sure, there's some bonus money -- more than ever these days -- but still...

All that brings me to another point... should rookie contracts be guaranteed? (In the case of a rookie wage scale)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »

I'd like to see a more standardized pay scale.

There are things that bother me about the current system, especially with veterans. 

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:41:34 pm »

That big fat contract that usually goes to a #1 draft pick should go to an established veteran who has proven himself.  Additionally, rookie contracts should include insurance policies that will pay out seven figures if the player sustains a serious injury.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »

I don't like how veteran contracts are often designed not to be seen through to their completion.  It often puts a team in a position where they have a great player that is going to make too much money, so they get rid of him.  That's not in the spirit of the game.  You want to reward teams and fans with the good players that they acquired, especially ones that were drafted.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

i like the NBA does the rookie contracts and the raises and free agency
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:03 am »

Needless to say, they're giving it some massive spin, calling it "the proven performance plan". That's all well and dandy, but why have they been against such a thing for so long then? Could the sudden change of heart be due to the owners opting out of the CBA and the Union getting a bit antsy about 2011?

I would say that is part of it as well as the NFLPA having a new leader now.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »

The union supporting a rookie pay scale actually makes perfect sense and them opposing it never did. 

Who does the union represent?  Who will vote on approving the contract or not?  Current NFL players (not college recuits and FUTURE potential NFL players).

If we assume a "fixed pie" (total amount of money going to all players combined) then any move that decreases rookie salarys at the benifit of increasing veteran salaries benifits the current members of the union. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:24 am »

i like the NBA does the rookie contracts and the raises and free agency
That wouldn't work in the NFL.  The NBA has guaranteed contracts.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:03 pm »

not necessarily true .. Good players get guaranteed contracts, most others get either no guarantees, or partial guarantees, just like the NFL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray