Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 04:39:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?  (Read 21072 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2011, 07:08:56 pm »

Power lifting means you are strong physically.

Not really, it just means they have "popcorn muscles." Just like with horses, their are "show horses" and "work horses". Power lifters are "show horses."

I joke about Tebow a lot, but I saw a behind the scenes thing where he was singing "My God is an awesome God" while he was mic'ed up and going onto the field.  That's just creepy, I'm sorry.

As far as the way he treats his teammates, his opposing players, fans, and children, he's perfect.  I envy that aspect of him.  He's a very nice, charitable guy.  I just get creeped out that he's so fully about Jesus with every waking breath and thought.  It wigs me out.  Even if I believed in Jesus, that would still creep me out.

I agree with this, the over the top Jesus stuff wigs me out a bit. But as I said, if that's the worst thing about him, he is doing pretty damn good and an OK guy and very good role model.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »

Not really, it just means they have "popcorn muscles." Just like with horses, their are "show horses" and "work horses". Power lifters are "show horses."
I believe "popcorn muscles" refers to the opposite: bodybuilders with huge "show" muscles that aren't actually strong.  In your horse analogy, bodybuilders would be the show horses, while powerlifters would be work horses (or, more accurately, race horses, as work horses do actual productive work).

It seems contradictory to refer to someone actually using their muscles as having them for "show."  And it bears mentioning that many powerlifters aren't much to look at.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:29:12 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2011, 07:34:31 pm »

I believe "popcorn muscles" refers to the opposite: bodybuilders with huge "show" muscles that aren't actually strong.  In your horse analogy, bodybuilders would be the show horses, while powerlifters would be work horses (or, more accurately, race horses, as work horses do actual productive work).

It seems contradictory to refer to someone actually using their muscles as having them for "show."  And it bears mentioning that many powerlifters aren't much to look at.

You are right. I got that backwards. People with those over the top kind of muscles whether power lifters or bodybuilders  freak me out.  Although aren't most powerlifters just big heavyset/fat guys with giant arms? Who knows. Something not wired right about those people to want to look like that. I paint with them one broad stroke, they are all the same to me...lol
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2011, 04:05:58 pm »

the extremist stance taken by the US in WWII led to the death of over 200 THOUSAND innocent men, women, and children in an act so horrific no country has used the technology since then.
While it was definately a horrific act, it also saved the lives of a lot of Japanese soldiers. Japan was completely ready to fight till the death of every last Japanese soldier until the US dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Only then did the Japanese surrender and it still took a month before Japan's soldiers finally quit fighting.

It was a horrific act done in desperation to end a brutal, bloody and costly war. Maybe the ends didn't justify the means and then again maybe the reason there hasn't been another nuclear attack is because of the first 2.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »

I don't want to get too far into a WW2 discussion, but the fact that it was even necessary to drop the second bomb on Nagasaki pretty much proves that Hiroshima was not excessive.  The Allies killed over 100,000 people at Hiroshima in an instant, and the Japanese simply shrugged it off.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2011, 03:02:22 am »

I don't want to get too far into a WW2 discussion, but the fact that it was even necessary to drop the second bomb on Nagasaki pretty much proves that Hiroshima was not excessive.  The Allies killed over 100,000 people at Hiroshima in an instant, and the Japanese simply shrugged it off.

People always bring up the atomic bomb, yet they never mention the firebombing of either Dresden or Tokyo.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray