Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2024, 09:09:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Are hard hits against the rules?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are hard hits against the rules?  (Read 1546 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Broncos-rookie-safety-Rahim-Moore-defends-devast?urn=nfl-wp5513

Look at the first clip.  It shows a player getting laid out, but right after a ball bounces of his hands in what could've been a catch.  The defender hits the guy really hard, but it's within a reasonable hit window.  The ball is right  there...no time to react and judge that it was dropped.  The defender hits with the shoulder, and not into the opposing players' head.

Why the flag?

Was it simply a bad call?  Or is the NFL trying to regulate hard hitting, even if it pertains to making a play.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:07:42 pm »

You can't lead with your shoulder anymore either. The NFL is really trying to get away from using a "hit" to break up a pass. Either you swat the ball away or you tackle the guy, hitting a receiver trying to make a catch to try to dislodge the ball is being discouraged. Once the receiver catches the ball and starts to run, then it's a different story.

So yes hard hits are against the rules, if it's while a receiver is trying to make a catch. The receiver is unable to defend himself against such hits.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray