Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 07:00:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Maddux and La Russa won't have logos on HOF caps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Maddux and La Russa won't have logos on HOF caps  (Read 1710 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:01:02 am »

As Braves fan I'm disappointed Maddux won't be wearing the cap but I get it. It is cool that Cox and Glavine are going in as Braves so that makes it easier to take. Congrats to all these guys.

I'm not sure if its a strong class or just the fact I witnessed all of their careers but I can't say I wouldn't have selected any of them.

Cox and Glavine will represent Braves, Thomas the White Sox and Torre the Yanks
By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | 1/23/2014 2:32 PM

he Hall of Fame on Thursday announced cap selections that will appear on the plaques for the six-man 2014 class that will be inducted on July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y.

Left-hander Tom Glavine and manager Bobby Cox will be inducted as Braves, first baseman Frank Thomas as a White Sox, and manager Joe Torre as a Yankee. Manager Tony La Russa and right-hander Greg Maddux will have no team logo on their plaques.

Nine Hall of Fame players -- Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter, Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Taylor and Cristobal Torriente -- do not have cap logos on their plaques.

"The Museum staff works with each inductee by suggesting an appropriate logo option, or no logo at all," Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson said. "For those whose most compelling contributions clearly took place with one team, a logo makes sense. For those whose careers were built significantly among multiple teams, not having a team logo is equally acceptable. Regardless of the selection, a Hall of Famer belongs to every team for which he played or managed, as well as every fan who followed his career."

Each inductee explained his reasoning for their selections:

La Russa: "The Chicago White Sox gave me my start in the game as a big league manager for my first eight seasons in my 33-year managerial career. In Oakland, we recorded four first-place finishes in 10 years, winning three pennants and a World Series. And in St. Louis, our clubs won three pennants and two titles in 16 years. It's the totality of the success of each of those three teams that led me to Cooperstown, so I am choosing to not feature a logo so that fans of all clubs can celebrate this honor with me."

Maddux: "My wife Kathy and I grew up in baseball in Chicago, and then we had just an amazing experience in Atlanta with the Braves. It's impossible for me to choose one of those teams for my Hall of Fame plaque, as the fans of both clubs in each of those cities were so wonderful. I can't think of having my Hall of Fame induction without support of both of those fan bases, so, for that reason, the cap on my Hall of Fame plaque will not feature a logo."

Cox: "I was fortunate to manage 29 years in the Major Leagues in two wonderful cities in Toronto and Atlanta. I can't imagine two better places for me to spend my managerial career. With 25 of those years in Atlanta, my Hall of Fame election is a direct result of all the success of those great Braves teams that were assembled."

Glavine: "During the course of my Major League career, I had the opportunity to play for two great organizations. Though I spent five great years with the Mets, my baseball life has been defined by the city of Atlanta, from the club selecting me out of high school to where my family makes our home today. My path to Cooperstown was largely determined by my 17 Major League seasons in a Braves uniform. I'm proud my Hall of Fame plaque will feature a Braves logo."

Thomas: "I was drafted by Chicago in the first round, and for 16 of my 19 seasons, I was fortunate to play there. I had wonderful seasons in Oakland and Toronto as part of my career, but my Hall of Fame election is celebrated most by the fans of Chicago and the priceless memories I will always treasure on the South Side, which is why my plaque will feature a Sox logo."

Torre: "I was lucky that my career took me only to great baseball towns. Every place where I played or managed is special to me because of the memories and the friendships that each afforded me. When I became the manager of the New York Yankees, it was an opportunity to realize my lifelong dream of winning the World Series. We were fortunate enough to succeed in our first season in 1996, and in the years that followed, we wrote some great new chapters in Yankee history. I am honored that I will wear the Yankee logo on my cap in Cooperstown to represent what our teams achieved together."

Cash Kruth is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @cashkruth. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

In an odd way, this makes me smile. I have been a fan of Maddux since his early career with the Cubs, and was glad to see him become a Padre at the end of his career. 355 wins, not by overpowering, but by having surgical precision with his pitch placement and a brain for out-thinking hitters. For 23 years, Maddux was the definition of "winning pitcher." I'm glad 20 of his last 22 wins were in a Padres uniform, and when I see his logo-less statue in Cooperstown, I'll imagine it with a Padres logo. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »

Greg Maddux once threw a 72 pitch complete game. If he threw all strikes and the batters never swung, it would take 81 pitches.

He was ridiculous.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »

Maddox is the closest thing, at least in my life time, to being just a complete master of the pitcher's mound. Will there ever be someone less intimidating looking who is so good?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:49 pm »

Maddux was baseball's version of Yoda...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:24:29 am »

Maddux should get a baseball cap similar to the Jersey worn by Mrs. McCourty for the NE/Tenn game. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray