Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 06:22:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Dak Prescott Signs for 4 Years/$160 Million
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dak Prescott Signs for 4 Years/$160 Million  (Read 1986 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: March 08, 2021, 07:51:45 pm »

$126 Million guaranteed and a no trade but he wasn't going to be traded anyway.

Dak was very likely going to be a Cowboy this year regardless but take him off the list anyway for other teams looking for a QB.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 09:42:00 pm »

He is not worth that kind of money.  He is extremely inconsistent.  That's Patrick Mahomes money and he aint anywhere near the caliber of Patrick Mahomes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:48:58 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 10:19:02 pm »

So now they are stuck with him for the next three years.  Just a note as it relates to the other thread about the franchise tag. For 2020 Dak was tagged and was paid $31.4M, for playing a partial season due to being injured.  If he had been tagged again for 2021 he would have been paid $37.68M.  So, even though he got injured, he's getting paid more per season in his new contract than he probably would have got if he signed a contract last year, and it's really extended out a season with guaranteed payment.  In this instance I would have to say Dak actually benefited from the franchise tag.  Now if Dallas just let him walk I doubt he would have garnered such a big contract on the open market, he's just not a top 5 QB.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:54:36 pm »

So now they are stuck with him for the next three years.  Just a note as it relates to the other thread about the franchise tag. For 2020 Dak was tagged and was paid $31.4M, for playing a partial season due to being injured.  If he had been tagged again for 2021 he would have been paid $37.68M.  So, even though he got injured, he's getting paid more per season in his new contract than he probably would have got if he signed a contract last year, and it's really extended out a season with guaranteed payment.  In this instance I would have to say Dak actually benefited from the franchise tag.  Now if Dallas just let him walk I doubt he would have garnered such a big contract on the open market, he's just not a top 5 QB.

He's not even a top ten. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:34 am »

He is not worth that kind of money.  He is extremely inconsistent.  That's Patrick Mahomes money and he aint anywhere near the caliber of Patrick Mahomes.
Dak's contract is roughly 1/3rd of the contract Mahomes signed.
It's not even close to "Patrick Mahomes money."

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 01:48:20 am »

Dak's contract is not even 1/3rd of the contract Mahomes signed.
   5oo,ooo,ooo for ten years is 5o,ooo,ooo per year     Prescott is 4o,ooo,ooo per year.   

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:00 am »

Dak's contract is roughly 1/3rd of the contract Mahomes signed.

Patrick Mahomes- 10 years, $477 million  $47 million per year average

Dak Prescott- 4 years, $160 million  $40 million per year average

I'm sorry but that's close enough for me.  For $40 million a year, I want a top tier QB.  Dak isn't even second tier.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 09:30:49 am »

Cowboys didn't want to pay him this much but they didn't have much choice. You either pay him or lose him and they didn't want to lose him either unless they had another QB and they don't. This signing wouldn't sting so bad if they had just held their ground on giving Zeke Elliot the contract they gave him. Now they have spent so much on those 2 players, they won't be able to keep anyone else. Cowboys have maybe 2 years left to make a run at a title, if they don't they are going to be wishing they wouldn't have paid either of these players.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:38:46 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 09:32:16 am »

I'm sorry but that's close enough for me.  For $40 million a year, I want a top tier QB.  Dak isn't even second tier.

The annual salary is close, the total money is not and that's the main difference. It's almost exactly 3x bigger of a contract, but the guaranteed money is close because of the much shorter length. Dak is all but certain to get the full $160 Million unless he completely faceplants or has to retire.

You also have to factor in alternatives, in that there aren't many. Let's say they let Dak walk, now what? Sign Fitzpatrick for a year? Trade the world for Watson? They can't draft one of the top QBs in this draft without giving up a ton to move up. Flashing the cash was their best option.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 09:55:48 am »

Cowboys didn't want to pay him this much but they didn't have much choice. You either pay him or lose him and they didn't want to lose him either unless they had another QB and they don't. This signing wouldn't sting so bad if they had just held their ground on giving Zeke Elliot the contract they gave him. Now they have spent so much on those 2 players, they won't be able to keep anyone else. Cowboys have maybe 2 years left to make a run at a title, if they don't they are going to be wishing they wouldn't have paid either of these players.

That Zeke contract.....yeesh. He is a very good RB, probably Top 5 but as discussed in other places, the drop from #5 to #15 isn't statistically relevant. I feel bad for running backs because their careers are short due to the beatings they take, but financially speaking it never makes sense to pay top dollar for a running back.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 10:00:00 am »

I hear you, but the numbers aren't that black and white.  The contract length matters -- average matters some, but not solely.  On average, sure...but Dak might play those 4 years and then be taking backup QB money after that.   Mahomes will still be making huge money under contract. for another 6 years, unless they cut him or something and I imagine the cap hit is crazy for stuff like that.

It's just not apples to apples.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 03:59:42 pm »

+1

Dallas' only moves were to give up a slew of picks to get Watson, or maybe Wilson.  Now, they really have to hope that Dak improves to his rookie season abilities or it's going to be rebuild mode in two years.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 04:38:50 pm »

Dak may not be a $40 Million QB, but his 2019 season was excellent and before he got hurt he was improving upon it in 2020. Wrong time for the Cowboys, but he  isn't Sam Darnold. He can be a league MVP one day soon. They're just going to have to pay for what he can be and not what he was. It would be surprising if he didn't play out the whole 4 years without restructuring.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray