Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 10:30:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins have no RB on the roster for next year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dolphins have no RB on the roster for next year  (Read 996 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: January 27, 2023, 12:00:24 am »

Pending free agents this offseason include:
- Raheem Mostert
- Jeff Wilson
- Miles Gaskin
- Salvon Ahmed

(I think Ahmed is a pending RFA)

With none of these guys under contract for next season, what do you see the Dolphins doing to address the RB position for 2023?  I've seen some rumor mill articles implying that Saquon Barkley is on the Dolphins radar. 

What do you think will happen?  What would you like to see happen?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 03:18:43 am »

I've seen some rumor mill articles implying that Saquon Barkley is on the Dolphins radar. 

Last thing MIA needs is to chew up a bunch of cap space on a big-name RB.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 05:13:27 am »

Barkley is asking insane money. He has already turned down an extension with the Giants at $12 million a year, which is what the Dalvin Cook / Nick Chubb / Derrick Henry contracts are at. Word is he's looking for Christian McCaffrey money. Even at $12 million, he would seem too expensive for a cap-strapped team like the Dolphins.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 09:57:32 am »

I think we resign both Mastert and Wilson. Money should be reasonable and it's beneficial for all parties. They can split duties again and that should help keep Raheem healthy.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 10:08:29 am »

I like both the guys we had.  The running game wasn't producing huge numbers, but it seemed like it's because we had better options to pass.  But they were good enough, IMO, especially after we brought on Wilson and made those changes.

I am (and have historically been against) bringing in high priced RBs, unless they are transformative types of players.  And in today's NFL, I'm not even sure that's possible anymore.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 10:28:17 am »

I like both the guys we had.  The running game wasn't producing huge numbers, but it seemed like it's because we had better options to pass.  But they were good enough, IMO, especially after we brought on Wilson and made those changes.

I am (and have historically been against) bringing in high priced RBs, unless they are transformative types of players.  And in today's NFL, I'm not even sure that's possible anymore.

Basically all GMs are against high priced RBs, that's why Saquon is probably wrong for turning down the Giants offer. The only time I can see going for $15 Million a year for a few years is if you are a legit Superbowl team but your running game is atrocious. Other than that, not worth it.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 11:48:06 am »

Henry a few years ago may be the last RB we see that can truly change a game, but the window is so small you can’t really justify huge numbers on them these days when it’s been shown not go be a necessity.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 01:00:27 pm »

The running game doesn't mean as much, in general, but also, you don't have workhorse backs anymore.  There's always a stable of guys.  New, fresh guys over a single guy with 20+ carries, getting beaten up.

It's still possible for a guy to have a great season.  Zeke Elliot was one just a few years ago....but they fall off.  He's just not getting the same touches and production.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 01:03:45 pm »

RBs don't matter.

If you have a great Oline it doesn't really matter how good the RB is, anyone half decent can run through the hole.

If you have a horrible Oline it doesn't really matter how good the RB is, even a great RB is going to get stuffed.

Focus on improving the Oline and don't sweat who is carrying the ball.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 01:15:07 pm »

It's not in the shannahan school of offence to have a big priced RB. Look at denver for all those years where they'd pull out the random RB out of this air that would run for 1k yards.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 01:51:11 pm »

I think we resign both Mastert and Wilson. Money should be reasonable and it's beneficial for all parties. They can split duties again and that should help keep Raheem healthy.

I'm for this...

It's not in the shannahan school of offence to have a big priced RB.

Depends on the RB. The 49ers have spent years just running our any RB. But when McCaffrey was made available, SF jumped at the chance to use all that versatility.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 03:55:46 am »

There are going to be a lot of RBs hitting free agency this year, and quite a few high profile ones at that. Add in the usual influx of draftee prospects that become available after the first round, and we can afford to cherry pick. We also have arguably more pressing positions of need to fix.

That said, we can't sit on our hands and basically wind up with nobody of any quality at the position. The first thing they have to do is evaluate what they have, so are Mostert, Wilson and Ahmed what they want going forward? (I'm not counting Gaskin in the conversation because of his lack of action this season - if he was in McDaniel's plans, he'd be on the field more)

I was impressed with Mostert, a bit less so with Wilson, and Ahmed should be relatively cheap. I'm not sure if Saquon Barkley (or for that matter Ezekiel Elliott) would be a particularly good fit for for us? On the other hand, Kareem Hunt & Cam Akers seem to be on the outer with their teams and may potentially be a relatively young, low-mileage but high impact addition playing with something to prove (if available for the right price).

Anyone got a bead on the draft prospects coming up? On first glance over the list it doesn't seem particularly deep?  (at present we have picks 51, 77, 84, 164, 216)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray