Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 02:48:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the game - Patriots
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shame of the game - Patriots  (Read 2260 times)
Denver2

Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 04:35:43 pm »

McDaniel for that dumb challenge and a few questionable calls. Sanders gets the HM, but McD should have punted if anything in that situation.  Try and pin them with a D that was getting pressure.
AQNOR

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 04:42:29 pm »

McDaniel for that dumb challenge and a few questionable calls. Sanders gets the HM, but McD should have punted if anything in that situation.  Try and pin them with a D that was getting pressure.

You got it there.  That was one of the dumbest challenges I've ever seen.  It was clear that the call was correct.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 05:16:21 pm »

I thought McDaniel coached a good game.  I hate the decision to punt.   I can understand going for it, but punting is asking to lose.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2023, 05:38:21 pm »

In his career, Sanders has been OK.   But he has been bad for a couple of years.

Also, your stat about 50% seems made up.

From 2022:
Players under 50% from 50-59
Austin Seibert (0/1)
Cameron Dicker (0/1)
Mason Crosby (1/4)
Ryan Succop (2/7)
Jason Sanders (2/6)
Harrison Hutker (2/6)
Greg Joseph (3/9)

Players at exactly 50%:
Ryan Bullock
Greg Zuerlein

Players above 50%:
There are 24 of them

Hold on. How much above 50%? If half of those 24 are above 70% then I'm wrong, if the vast majority are between 50% and 70% then I think I nailed it. I was basically shooting in the dark at that 50% number. Hell even Sanders has been above 50% for his career.

Also, when you miss matters.  And compounding misses matter. This is two weeks in a row where Sanders can put a game away and doesn't.  It starts to affect your coaching decisions if you can't put a guy out there when you need the points.
I'd say it's a combination of when and from what distance. Asking a guy to seal a game from 55 is asking for miracles from heaven. Honestly I thought Miami should have punted there especially getting one blocked earlier. Let's not lose sight of the fact we had a very makeable 3rd down just before that play that Tua fumbled. Good chance of getting a 1st down there if we don't fumble the snap so that Sanders isn't asked to make a 55 yard field goal and we're blaming Sanders for coming up short? I think that's a bit short sighted.

It's not like this happened in a vacuum.

In the last 3 seasons, Sanders is 4 of 13 from 50-59.  That's probably the worst in the league, or close to it.
He's also 49-56 from inside 50 which is 88% during that time. That's actually pretty good. You can probably find some kickers for the last 3 years that are better from over 50 and a lot worse from inside 50. His kickoffs are pretty much automatic touchback as well. Pick your poison.

If you want Sanders cut then who do you replace him with?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:31:19 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 05:53:46 pm »

everyone wants to crap on the kicker for missing a 55 yarder?  but no one wants to talk about the Center, Connor Williams, for three bad snaps that directly led to killing drives?

for me its Williams with HM to Eli Apple.
That last one at least was not a bad snap. That ball went right through Tua's hands. That one was on Tua. The others I didn't get a good enough look at to really see who it was on.

Edit: Oh, I thought you were referring to a different play, the play right before the failed FG. You're talking about the snap when Tua was in shotgun. Ok, yeah that was a bad snap and yeah he's had his share, but honestly that's a tougher snap to get right then the ones under center. Basically the exchange under center should NEVER happen in an NFL game in my opinion and we've had 3 in 2 weeks. 3 in a season is 2 too many.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:59:02 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 05:59:39 pm »

Hold on. How much above 50%? If half of those 24 are above 70% then I'm wrong, if the vast majority are between 50% and 70% then I think I nailed it. I was basically shooting in the dark at that 50% number. Hell even Sanders has been above 50% for his career.

I'm not talking about Sanders' career.  You'll get no complaints from me on his full body of work.  I'm just saying that in the last few years, he isn't the same player.  Maybe he has the yips or something.

Before he started sucking, he was 8 of 9 that year.

I'm not suggesting cutting him.  Everyone just needs to chill.  I'm just saying that he was my Shame of the Game.  But yes, you need to replace him in the off-season with another free-agent or a drafted player if he doesn't improve.  He might need a change of scenery.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 06:02:14 pm »

Well there have been some calls to cut Sanders, maybe that wasn't you. There was mention in this thread to bring in other kickers, which I'm pretty sure Miami has done and stuck with Sanders.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2023, 08:30:01 pm »

The extra point last week was inexcusable. But I'll cut him some slack for both FGs yesterday. The blocked one wasn't his fault. And the missed one was more than likely due to the fact that the Patriots did the same silly shit again. To me it looks like when he kicked, he pulled it left to avoid another block. Also, it's probably distracting as hell to have some random dude running full speed unblocked at you while kicking a 55 yard FG.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray