Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:05:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL news 3/20
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFL news 3/20  (Read 3379 times)
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« on: March 20, 2006, 09:38:43 am »

Defensive end John Abraham is intent on playing for the Falcons, his agent, Tony Agnone, confirmed Sunday. The contract agreement he reached Friday with Atlanta and his word are his bond. But Abraham might not have the final say. The New York Jets, who own the three-time Pro Bowl selection's rights, have thwarted Abraham's relocation by treating the Falcons' trade offer of a second-round draft pick as insufficient. Instead, the Jets have agreed to trade him to the Seattle Seahawks for a first-round draft choice, and that decision has left Abraham "not happy," according to Agnone.

San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson is scheduled to visit the Dolphins' facility in Davie this afternoon. The Dolphins also have expressed strong interest in linebacker LaVar Arrington. Both players are represented by agent Kevin Poston.

The Bears entertained Brian Griese over the weekend and are sending offensive coordinator Ron Turner to Florida to meet with the free-agent quarterback. Griese spent his 31st birthday Saturday dining downtown with general manager Jerry Angelo and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, then spent Sunday at Halas Hall in what was described as a very positive meeting, leading multiple sources to suggest something could happen soon.

The Dolphins will bring in former Pittsburgh Steelers backup quarterback Tommy Maddox for a visit Tuesday as they try to find someone to fill the same role after losing Gus Frerotte to the St. Louis Rams. Agent Vann McElroy said Maddox has received interest from the Oakland Raiders and Cincinnati Bengals, but the Dolphins' situation might be the most intriguing because of Maddox's relationship with new offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.

The Bears on Monday will have further internal discussions on whether to match the four-year, $8.2 million offer sheet that defensive end Israel Idonije signed with Buffalo. The Bears are leaning toward doing so.

Tampa Bay receiver Ike Hilliard, a 10-year veteran who turns 30 next month, visited with Texans coach Gary Kubiak and his offensive coaches on Sunday. Denver tight end Jeb Putzier, Minnesota middle linebacker Sam Cowart and Detroit fullback Paul Smith will be in town today meeting with the coaches. The Texans canceled a visit with Minnesota receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent who could be involved in an expensive tug of war with the Vikings and Seattle Seahawks.

Pat Kirwan of NFL Network said Vikings coach Brad Childress hinted about the possibility of moving up in the draft. "He already told me, 'We're looking at that trade chart, we're seeing if we have enough firepower to move up,' " Kirwan quoted Childress as saying on NFL Total Access. "I asked him if it was for a quarterback, and he said, 'We're intrigued with those three quarterbacks,' " referring to Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler.

That leaves Adam Vinatieri and Mike Vanderjagt, neither of whom will come cheap. The Dolphins might release Olindo Mare, whom the Cowboys might find more affordable.

A report that New England Patriots offensive lineman Tom Ashworth would be visiting the Titans is apparently inaccurate. “I talked with Floyd Thursday, but we don’t have any visits planned,” agent Tom Mills said. “I think he wants to let his young guys [David Stewart, Daniel Loper] have a chance at right tackle.” Ashworth has visited Tampa Bay, the New York Jets and Miami, with trips to Seattle and Houston upcoming.

The Tennessee Titans already know Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler quite well. Today, they will get to know the quarterback even a little bit better. Cutler, whom the Titans coached at the Senior Bowl in January, watched at the NFL Combine in February and assessed Friday at his Pro Day workout, will spend today with the Titans coaches and staff in a get-to-know interview where the sides can get together and talk football and further evaluate the Commodore star. “He’s going to come over to the facility on Monday, and we’re going to spend the entire day with him Monday,” said Titans General Manager Floyd Reese, whose responsibility it is to decide what direction the team goes with the No. 3 overall pick.

Expected to arrive today in Miami for a free-agent visit is 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson.

The Dolphins are receiving lots of interest from agents of kickers who are waiting to see whether the team and Olindo Mare can resolve their contractual differences. Last week Colts free-agent kicker Mike Vanderjagt, the NFL's most accurate kicker, stopped in to team headquarters for a meeting. Ken Harris, agent for free-agent Vikings kicker Paul Edinger, also called the Dolphins to gauge their interest.

New Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper's former teammate, Cris Carter, now an analyst on HBO's Inside the NFL, believes the Vikings made a drastic mistake in trading a Pro Bowl quarterback in his prime. "You don't trade franchise quarterbacks," Carter said during an interview on Sirius NFL radio. "The reason we have jobs is because guys in executive positions make decisions on quarterbacks. Because every week, what do we talk about on Monday? "Man, they can't win because they don't have a quarterback.' And you have one. You have a proven commodity, and now you're going to give up your proven commodity for a second-round pick? I don't know what these people are thinking about.

Green Bay Packers backup Craig Nall, who visited Winter Park last Monday, agreed to a contract with the Buffalo Bills, his agent Robb Nelson said Sunday evening. Although the Vikings were interested in Nall, they apparently didn't want to meet his financial asking price. "Minnesota made a run at Craig (on Sunday) but Craig couldn't turn down the deal from Buffalo," Nelson said.

Brian Griese continued his free-agency tour Sunday, visiting a Bears team eager to conduct a thorough medical evaluation on the veteran quarterback's left knee. Griese severed the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments Oct. 16 against Miami, ending his season after leading Tampa Bay to a 5-1 record. Griese, who turned 31 on Saturday, has maintained he will be healthy by training camp. The Bears were comfortable enough with Griese's medical condition to schedule the visit, which is likely to spill into Monday. Griese visited Cincinnati on Friday and Saturday and left without an offer. But a source said the Bengals intend to contact Ralph Cindrich, Griese's agent, on Monday morning, indicating they're not conceding he will be a Bear.

NFL rules prevent the Cowboys conditioning program from being mandatory, but in many ways it is a must. Players are (ahem) asked to get 40 workouts in between now and July. They get paid for working out, around $500, and some have workout bonuses in their contracts. Overseeing the program is strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek, who is entering his 10th season with the Cowboys. "Here's what I tell them: Each day you're making a deposit. The more deposits you make, the bigger checks you can write," Juraszek said.

RB Julius Jones: His injuries have not been a result of poor conditioning, but Jones needs to be as strong and as flexible as possible heading into his third season. He has shown he can be a dynamic player, and the Cowboys need him in a big way.

Cowboys OLB DeMarcus Ware: He has been told to get up to 260 pounds, about 10 pounds heavier than he finished last season. He does not believe it will sap him of quickness, and the bulk will help him stand up to the run.

LT Flozell Adams: Much of Jerry Jones' optimism comes from having a healthy Adams back on the field. His rehab from a torn anterior cruciate ligament is on schedule. With Adams, the Cowboys can be a top offense. Without him, they struggle.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:42:52 am »

If you're going to post an article from NFL.com or ESPN.com up here...why don't ya just put a link? Or at least tell us where you're copying it from so we can gauge the validity of the information...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:45:40 am »

If you're going to post an article from NFL.com or ESPN.com up here...why don't ya just put a link? Or at least tell us where you're copying it from so we can gauge the validity of the information...

99 times out of 100 i post a link. The one time i don't you are right there. Are you the internet gustapo ?

Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:53:28 am »

99 times out of 100 i post a link. The one time i don't you are right there. Are you the internet gustapo ?

It's actually "gestapo." ...and nope, I just ask the question when the question needs asking.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:58:17 am »

It's actually "gestapo." ...and nope, I just ask the question when the question needs asking.

I was flip/flopping between the u or the e in GESTAPO. I should have asked you for a link to spell check....

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:03:29 am »

I should have asked you for a link to spell check....

I don't really use a spell check program...so I wouldn't be able to provide a link to one. I am still looking for a link to the original source of this information though. Can I ask you again to please post that source up here? Thanks...

~ Micah Leggat
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:20:09 am »

So he busts you for the post AND the spelling.  NICE!

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Komrade Conrad

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:10:31 am »

edited from Bears evaluate QB Griese By John Mullin and K.C. Johnson Cicago Tribune March 19, 2006, 11:11 PM CST

Brian Griese severed the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments against Miami D, ending a season leading Tampa Bay to a 5-1 record. Overall, he's started 72 games for 3 teams in 8 seasons and the last 2 on a team using similar terminology as the Bears.

The question for Griese is, which team offers the best chance of eventually starting? His best option is a 1-year deal that allows him to demonstrate his recovery, and play his way into a better deal. Baltimore and Oakland are other possibilities.

After they had no luck restructuring his contract for the second year in as many seasons, Tampa Bay released him rather than pay him a $2.6 million roster bonus they had promised. Instead they committed to Chris Simms in a 1-year deal for $2.1 million.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:11:43 am »

So he busts you for the post AND the spelling. NICE!

Geez...I just want to know where the news came from. Look at my first response...I just wanted the source that he was referencing. Was it ESPN.com? NFL.com? The Loxahachee Sports Report? Did a well-informed platypus whisper it in D_B's ear while he was sleeping?

I didn't mean to "bust" on anyone...I was just curious. Can ya dig the cheese on them burgers?

~ Micah Leggat
BJL
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:29:07 pm »

I'm very interested to see what Craig Nall does in Buffalo. He did well in NFL Europe, and in the very little game time he has seen in Green Bay.

Trade for Brian Griese? Yay, another washed up veteran QB...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray