Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:21:57 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Pre draft signing question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pre draft signing question  (Read 2237 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: April 27, 2008, 11:37:57 pm »

lets say the team picking first signs a player before the draft, can the team that is second also talk to a different player and sign them before the draft, or does the team picking first only have that opportunity.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:44 am »

Yes, the second team is then considered "on the clock".  If the Rams had wanted to, they could have signed a player after the Dolphins signed Long.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:43:10 am »

A few days prior to the draft, the NFL actually told the Rams they couldn't sign their pick if they reached an agreement. There is also talk about, for future drafts, not letting the #1 team make any official announcement until the draft.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:07:43 am »

Its all about the benjamins.  I'm sure a lot of casual fans didn't tune in because the drama surrounding the #1 pick was over before it started.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:03:08 am »

Yes, the second team is then considered "on the clock".  If the Rams had wanted to, they could have signed a player after the Dolphins signed Long.

Nope. Incorrect. They can talk to players, but can't sign them. As Tommy said they may change that, but probably won't. They asked the Commissioner about this on NFL Network, and he basically said exactly what Guru just said- if you allow the second team to do it, you then will have the third team wanting to do it. If you allow them, you then have the fourth team wanting to do it, and so on and so forth. It then takes away from the draft itself.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray