Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 04:30:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Terry Bradshaw was all 'roided up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Terry Bradshaw was all 'roided up  (Read 2563 times)
simeon
Uber Member

« on: June 25, 2008, 01:19:30 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Terry-Bradshaw-was-all-roided-up?urn=nfl,89945

I doubt that it's going to cause much of an uproar or that anyone will be calling for asterisks on the four Super Bowl trophies that the Steelers won in the 70s (although Patriots fans might want to leave it in their backpocket as kind of a trump card), but Terry Bradshaw admitted last week that he used steroids during his playing career.

If you're detecting a lack of surprise in my tone, congratulations on being perceptive. I already looked at the 70s Steelers as doing for steroids what the Bill Walsh 49ers did for the west coast offense. The 'roids were legal then, no one was testing for it, and there's no way the Steelers were the only ones. At the time, no one knew any better.

Here's what Bradshaw said on Dan Patrick's radio show:

“We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing. My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and thought nothing of it. … It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn’t to get bigger and stronger and faster.”

That may not have been the intent, but according to Jim Haslett, that's what it did. And while we're on the subject of unintended side effects, now might also be an appropriate time to mention that 70s Steelers are are dying off like NYC construction workers in The Happening.

Gracias, Larry Brown Sports.

Related: Pittsburgh Steelers

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:26 pm »

Didn't everyone use back then?  Now too, for that matter.  Undecided

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »

I doubt everyone was on it then or now, however I thought this would be a great subject.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:27:08 pm »

In the first Super Bowl against Dallas, he separated his shoulder, then came back in the game. 

Now we know why he was able to come back in so quickly. 

Fuck off Bradshaw.  Go away. 
BJL
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

In the first Super Bowl against Dallas, he separated his shoulder, then came back in the game. 

Now we know why he was able to come back in so quickly. 

Or they shoot him up with painkillers and crap like they do today.

Trade for Brian Griese? Yay, another washed up veteran QB...
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:01 am »

It was legal, why are you blasting him for that?

Btw, what he got to get back in the game was almost certainly a shot of cortisone, which is exactly what players get TODAY as well. It's a steroid (oh no! steroids!!! arghh!!!) and perfectly legal. The banned steroids are primarily so-called anabolic steroids, which is what people typically refer to when they're talking about players who take steroids. Or they might even be referring to hormones like Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which is not a steroid, but is anabolic. Creatine, which is neither a steroid nor a hormone (but rather an organic acid), is also anabolic. Unlike the others, Creatine is not banned and is likely used by most pro football players.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:25:51 pm »

Or they shoot him up with painkillers and crap like they do today.

There is a difference between pain killers and steroids.  And  just because you took a little juice you still needed to work your butt off. Steroids didn't make him Tough.....Terry made terry Tough.  I'm sorry but I gotta give the 70's generation a Big Pass on anything Steroid related.  Just didn't have the information that they do today like Lyle Alzado and his brain turning into Applesauce.  No one saw it as anything other then Vitamins or sports medicine.  Can't even compare it to what the Pats did by cheating their asses off stealing other teams signals and plays.

Kid Dynamite

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:23 pm »

First off there is no cited link between Lyle Alzados death and his drub use. I know he claimed that his tumor was caused by roids but there is no proof and no credible doctor will come out and say it was caused by roids.

The NFL in the 1970's was filled with steroids. This has been said by many former ball players. The effects were well known back then. They were legal so it was pretty much out in the open. Steroids is even bigger now in the modern NFL. They are legal and they do get tested but there are a lot of masking drugs and if you just lay off roids for a short while they you can easily pass a test. I have many friends who roided up in High school and college football.

In the 1970's a lineman was big at 250 pounds and they were juiced to the gils. The lineman now a days are in the 300's and faster yet many people believe that the use of roids is minimal in today's sports. I always thought that was kind of interesting.

Jimmy "The Snake" Johnson for the Hall of Shame.
Banshee

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 09:32:56 pm »

Terry made Terry tough ...

Athletes today certainly appear more "athletic" and powerful than those of the past.  But what about toughness?  Your thoughts?   I certainly think today's athletes are faster, but yesteryear's players were more brutal.

Kids don't need another friend; they need someone to look up to.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray