Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 06:21:12 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Favre to the Jets?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Favre to the Jets?  (Read 4363 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:34 pm »

Announced at 5:19 pm tonight on Maxim radio Sirius 108, Covino and Rich announced that Brett Favre has asked to be released from the Packers and is very close to a deal with the NY stinking Jets.

Stay tuned!
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:09 pm »

So do you bench Clemens and Pennington over an over the Hill QB ?
If Farve is close to contract with the jets isn't that illegal considering he is under contract with Greenbay ?

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:43:16 pm »

Sure sounds like tampering to me, but I'm sure there's some loop hole somewhere.
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:44:56 pm »

Farve wants release from Greenbay

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuYqshVGVjNoEITDGwL4OOk5nYcB?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

What's next for Packers?

Packers fans shocked
 More NFL Videos Brett Favre has asked the Packers to release him so he can return to the NFL with another team after apparently being told that his latest retirement reversal wasn’t welcome news in Green Bay.

The team said it would do “what’s right” in response to Favre’s request, which was first reported by ESPN..

“Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms,” the team’s statement read.

“We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion. Brett’s press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement. The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.”

The 38-year-old Favre retired March 6 after a 17-year career, but almost immediately began dropping hints that he was having second thoughts.

The Packers statement said Favre now has the right to petition NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to be reinstated, at which point he would return to the team’s active roster.

In this Nov. 11, 2007 file pho…

AP - Jul 9, 4:07 pm EDT
 But the statement did not specify what the Packers would do after that, beyond doing “what’s right and in the best interest of the team.”

If the team has committed to moving forward without Favre, their options once he was reinstated would include trading him to another team or releasing him so he would be free to sign with the team of his choice. The Packers already have committed to going at quarterback with Aaron Rodgers, a first-round pick in 2005 who has been sitting behind Favre for his first three seasons in the NFL.

Releasing Favre presents the possibility of him signing with NFC North rivals Minnesota or Chicago, where he would be an upgrade over the incumbent QBs. If the Packers traded him, there would be teams outside the division such as Baltimore or Tampa Bay and perhaps Washington that would be interested. There also has been speculation that he could go to Miami for disgruntled defensive end Jason Taylor, the 2006 defensive player of the year.

It would be an ugly end to what has been one of the most celebrated partnerships in recent NFL history.

“As with all Packers greats, Brett’s legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions,” the statement read. “Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.”

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Friday that sources close to Favre and the team told him agent James “Bus” Cook formally asked the Packers for Favre’s release in a letter because the Packers were not receptive about Favre wanting to play again.

(There also has been speculation that he could go to Miami for disgruntled defensive end Jason Taylor, the 2006 defensive player of the year.)
PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:49:01 pm by simeon » Logged

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »

So do you bench Clemens and Pennington over an over the Hill QB ?

That "over the Hill QB" was one of the top quarterbacks last year.

Pennington... let's just say my 3-year-old can throw the ball farther than him.

Kellen Clemens had a year on the bench to mature and still managed twice as many interceptions as touchdowns (and a 60.9 passer rating) in 8 starts.

There's no question who would be the starter of that bunch.

If Farve is close to contract with the jets isn't that illegal considering he is under contract with Greenbay ?

Unless being technically retired changes the rules, yes, it would be tampering.

However, tampering also requires that the player doesn't have the blessing of the team he is under contract with. I don't think it's unlikely at all that Green Bay would allow Favre to talk to other teams if he really wanted to come back.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 05:56:18 pm »

I wrote the tampering thing earlier in the other Brett Favre thread. Sounds like he already had something worked out with another team, otherwise why would he want to be released, not knowing what is out there, or if another team wants him.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »

Man Im so glad the Packers grew a spine & refused to bow down to this interception machine.
Waaaa I dont get to come back whenever I feel like it so just release me & let me choose where to play.
Ted Thompson please do not let up force this greedy phcker into a trade if he wants out so bad.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:04:29 pm »

Wow, this is like Jordan un-retiring for the 25th time then playing for the Wizards. Sad. Why can't these athletes stay retired...?
simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

Wow, this is like Jordan un-retiring for the 25th time then playing for the Wizards. Sad. Why can't these athletes stay retired...?
Because people like Farve are selfish, I guess he wants to make the interception record unreachable for anyone else.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »

Just saw this on ESPN.  The Packers will not release Favre and if he plans to play in 2008, he is welcome to rejoin the team..... as the BACKUP quarterback. 

simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 07:10:04 pm »

Farve is way to selfish and greedy to play backup anywhere.

Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 07:35:31 pm »

Just saw this on ESPN.  The Packers will not release Favre and if he plans to play in 2008, he is welcome to rejoin the team..... as the BACKUP quarterback. 

LMFAO !!!!!! Now they are going to try and rape anybody who wants him and finally shove it up the guys ass for his flip-flopping the last million years.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray