Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 11:46:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Condo Association Questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Condo Association Questions  (Read 6689 times)
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: October 22, 2008, 09:56:00 am »

I know a few of you guys have bought condos in the past few years. I've been shopping for a condo the pst few months and my offer was accepted. I'm just starting to get the condo docs, fill out the paperwork, pay all of the fees, etc. (Note: Everything is sitll kind of up in the air since the condo MUST be spot approved by the FHA for my loan to go through.)

Is there anything that I should be on the look out for when it comes to the association? Are there particular questions I should ask or things I should be on the lookout for?

I know that an assesment was just done since I put in an offer. (The dues went down.)

Would love any advice you guys have.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:04:43 am »

Ask for the minutes from every board meeting for the past three years.  These meetings will detail every little issue that has gone on in that association for the applicable amount of time that might seep into your life. 

Minutes are your friend.  And make the request mandatory, not optional.  But very wary if there seems to be missing minutes.

These things will give you insight on things from people that had leaky roofs to people that complained about other members to complaints about landscaping.  They are your window to that association.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:15:10 am »

Ask for the minutes from every board meeting for the past three years.  These meetings will detail every little issue that has gone on in that association for the applicable amount of time that might seep into your life. 

Minutes are your friend.  And make the request mandatory, not optional.  But very wary if there seems to be missing minutes.

These things will give you insight on things from people that had leaky roofs to people that complained about other members to complaints about landscaping.  They are your window to that association.

That's a great idea. I'm driving over there tomorrow to turn in my application. Is that the best time for me to ask for this stuff? I don't want them to think I'm a pain in the ass before I'm even approved.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:12 am »

You will hate the condo association.  People are crazy, and condo commandos are a definite.

Some of the crap that they do makes my head shake.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:23:31 am »

Condo associations suck.

I'd just say ask for a copy of their operating budget so you know what you're paying for.  I think its required by law that they have to provide it to you if you ask for it. 
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:30:44 am »

I just received all of the bylaws or whatever. The packet is HUGE and left a big lump in my throat. The closer I get, the more I question buying a condo. Unfortunately, I can't afford a house by myself. Nor do I really think that I can take care of a house.

However, if this falls through I will probably save a bit more money and go with a house in a year or 2. Or maybe a townhouse that is a little less restrictive.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:29 am »

I am very easy going, and I don't care about that stuff.  But even I've been pissed multiple times at the crap that this place pulls.  For example, I couldn't put a plant on my front porch, because they said I was using my front porch as storage.

It's not big deal type of stuff, but it sucks to feel like you've got a hall monitor watching your every move.  It's irritating, and you don't feel free.  If you can handle that, it's fine, but eventually, they will come knocking on your door over some ridiculous shit.  Be prepared.

I drink your milkshake!
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:52:06 am »

I am very easy going, and I don't care about that stuff.  But even I've been pissed multiple times at the crap that this place pulls.  For example, I couldn't put a plant on my front porch, because they said I was using my front porch as storage.

It's not big deal type of stuff, but it sucks to feel like you've got a hall monitor watching your every move.  It's irritating, and you don't feel free.  If you can handle that, it's fine, but eventually, they will come knocking on your door over some ridiculous shit.  Be prepared.

Yeah. I'm reading up on all that stuff. I'm positive I will mess something up.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:53 am »

Associations are as good or bad as you want them to be.  Understand the rules clearly.  Can you live with those?  Yes?  No sweat.  Are you a drama-free person?  Live by the rules and fly under the radar.  Pay your dues on time.

Condo living becomes hard when people make it hard.  Just go in with your eyes open.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:22:47 am »

For example, I couldn't put a plant on my front porch, because they said I was using my front porch as storage.

How dare you store all that paint on the outside of your condo as well...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:38:51 am »

Associations are as good or bad as you want them to be.  Understand the rules clearly.  Can you live with those?  Yes?  No sweat.  Are you a drama-free person?  Live by the rules and fly under the radar.  Pay your dues on time.

Condo living becomes hard when people make it hard.  Just go in with your eyes open.

I actually think I'll be ok. I've lived in apartments for a while. Not the big corporate types either. Little ones with my landlord living next door. I'm pretty quiet (though they might HATE the flute playing), my dog isn't loud, and I have common sense so we'll see.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03:33 pm »

I also have a problem with the tone that the place takes when they have issues.  They have no tact.  For example, if someone were to have just called up and said "hey, I know it's silly, but the laws say that you can't have a plant on your porch.  Please move it when you get a chance."   No problem.

But, instead, they give you a DO THIS OR ELSE notice about putting liens on your place and fining you and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:11 pm »

I also have a problem with the tone that the place takes when they have issues.  They have no tact.  For example, if someone were to have just called up and said "hey, I know it's silly, but the laws say that you can't have a plant on your porch.  Please move it when you get a chance."   No problem.

But, instead, they give you a DO THIS OR ELSE notice about putting liens on your place and fining you and stuff.

Seriously? That's what would get under my skin. If I violate some silly rule, let me know. No need to start threatening liens and stuff like that.

landlocked
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:09:25 pm »

Unfortunately Dave is right.Homeowners associations are just as bad,also.You get these retired assholes that have nothing better to do than walk around  and spy on you and see if you do something wrong.When my 1st wife and I were looking for a house(this is 20 years ago) it drove me nuts,we had a brand new pickup truck that looked as it had just rolled off of the showroom,and in at least 3 subdivisions we looked at,trucks were against the assoc. rules.You couldn't put a swingset or a basketball goal out for your kid,no dogs....or any doghouse must match the color of your house(I'm serious),garage doors must be kept completely closed except from 8am--4pm on saturdays........these are only a few of the ridiculous rules I can remember.Hopefully,your condo will be better,good luck.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 11:48:42 pm »

For every dumb ass rle, there's 30 pissed off residents bitching about people who break them.  I'll give an example:

I am the vice=president of my associations board of directors.  Due to a city screw up, we ended up having no means of trash collection.  So, I was put in charge of developing a system for waste removal for 196 condo unit residents.  We hired a company called Valet Waste (some of you might know them) to come 5 days a week and remove trash from everyone's door.

The month after Valet Waste started their service, people showed up at meeting bitching about trash cans out all the time.  "Why do we need 5 days a week?" they said.  That's the service, deal with it.  Its simple, tell your neigbors to bring their trash can in.

So, now, the property manager is forced (by the 30 complaining residents) to give people violation notices and $25 fines for leaving their trash cans out during "non-approved hours" Roll Eyes  We've waived a bunch of them so far, and we don't want to do it, but our hand is forced by the complainers.

So, before you complain about the stupid rules, realize that they're probably there because on of your neighbors, at some point, complained about it. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray