Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:24:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Will Cam Cameron get another shot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Will Cam Cameron get another shot as an NFL head coach?
Yes.  He deserves another shot.   -1 (4.5%)
Yes.  Teams get desperate and forget the past.   -10 (45.5%)
No.  Nobody will take a chance on him again.   -11 (50%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Will Cam Cameron get another shot?  (Read 6265 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:06:02 am »

Cam is having success as an O-coordinator again.  Is he done as a head coach?

I drink your milkshake!
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 12:09:02 am »

I voted the second choice. I think that some team will offer him another HC job...maybe in 3 seasons. And, he'll do exactly what he did in Miami.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:13:23 am »

Jesus, if Norv Turner can keep getting HC gigs, surely Cameron will get one more shot somewhere...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:40:51 am »

Jesus, if Norv Turner can keep getting HC gigs, surely Cameron will get one more shot somewhere...

I agree..Look at Wade Phillips. Another good example.

...And don't call me Shirley.  Wink

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:09:01 am »

Norv Turner doesn't lose teams the way Cam Cameron lost the Miami Dolphins. 
bsfins
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:04 am »

I think it's more than likely....Dennis Erickson and Dave Wannstedt Had two jobs,and Even Mike Mularkey is getting his name batted around as a Head coach...Al Groh, and Pete Carroll made it in College...
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:24 am »

He will probably get a second chance, if he wants it. 

While some retreads still suck the second time (Herm Edwards) the person who is generally viewed as the best HC currently in the NFL got fired from Cleveland after going 36-44.  There is some reasons to believe that HC can be better the second time around.

If Cam is successful as an OC and can articulate to another owner why the Dolphins were not successful and what he needed to do differently in his next HC coach, I don't see why he wouldn't get another bite at the apple.  And if in fact he learned enough from last season he might even be a good one. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tepop84
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 11:00:09 am »

I am not sure Cameron will find a way to cheat like Belichik did.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:04:32 pm »

I think he'll be back as a head coach some day. I am not very optimistic about how well he'll do when that time comes, however.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:33 pm »

I don't think so. The stench of 1-15 is really tough to overcome (and don't you dare compare Camoron to Jimmy Johnson). It's well beyond being 1-15. In 1 season with Miami, he drafted absolutely atrociously (taking a mediocre kick returner 9th overall cannot be over-stated), and he was completely out of touch and out of control (very bad) with his team. A first year coach, midway through his very first season, was completely out of command and control of his team, and the players already completely had no respect for him. That's VERY bad, and owners / GMs are very well aware of this.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »

If Cameron can completely make over Baltimore's offense, then his time will come sooner rather than later.

I am not very optimistic about how well he'll do when that time comes, however.

Part of me wants to agree, but I try not to ever underestimate a human being's ability to learn, adapt and change. If Cam approaches the next job with another "fail forward fast" mentality, then he'll never have success as a HC. He is a damned intelligent person though, so maybe the smack in the face that was his Miami experience can flip the right switches and make him a better coach.

If I had to drop a dollar on it though, my george says that Cam will never be a successful HC in the NFL.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »

I said it once and I'll say it again. Forgetting about the Quinn vs Ginn argument for a second, it doesn't matter if Ginn or Quinn turnout successful. the fact is when the Fins got a Top ten pick and we are in desperate need of a QB you do not take a Punt returner/reciever.  After that he made several more mistakes over and over including trading his best reciever in Chris Chambers mid season.  That signaled to the team to just give up which they did. Why not keep Chambers and take something you need like a QB to actually throw the ball . And John Beck............Fucking OUCH. 

He is done like a piece of burnt Toast. He might be under the hood, but no one will trust him with the keys to the ferrari again. Never.  Although I would love it if the jets , Bills, or Pats proved me wrong and took a chance on him again!  He is the Rich Kotite of the new Millenium! Grin look at Dave Wannabe..........After the Bears who thought anyone would take a chance on his sad ass again?  We actually gave him an extention! Roll Eyes

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:26:26 pm »

It's well beyond being 1-15. In 1 season with Miami, he drafted absolutely atrociously (taking a mediocre kick returner 9th overall cannot be over-stated), and he was completely out of touch and out of control (very bad) with his team.
1) Drafts are laid at the foot of the GM.  Cameron had input, but it wasn't his call to make.
2) Here is the aforementioned draft class:

1st/9- Ted Ginn
2nd/40- John Beck
2nd/60- Samson Satele
3rd/71- Lorenzo Booker
4th/108- Paul Soliai
6th/181- Reagan Mauia
6th/199- Drew Mormino
7th/219- Kelvin Smith
7th/225- Brandon Fields
7th/238- Abraham Wright

Satele and Fields are unquestionably solid picks.  Soliai was given a 4-year contract by Parcells, so that pick seems to be solid as well.  Booker was drafted with a 3rd and traded for a 4th, so that pick was marginal.  Mauia, Mormino, Smith, and Wright are the only unqualified busts, but how much can you expect from 6th and 7th round players?

The unknown picks are Ginn and Beck.  Ginn is still arguably the best WR on the team (he has clearly been the designated #1 WR by this regime), and Parcells chose to keep Beck around instead of McCown, so you can't exactly call those two picks complete busts (yet).

I personally think the 2007 draft was pretty damn good.  You can't really evaluate it until we see how well Quinn plays, and so far he didn't exactly look to be lighting the world on fire.  If Quinn ends up anywhere remotely comparable to Beck, then Mueller made a damn good decision not to pick him.

Tepop84
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:20 am »

Beck is terrible and Satele isn't that good.  Ginn is ok, but not really that great for a number 9 pick.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 05:14:13 am »

Beck is terrible and Satele isn't that good.  Ginn is ok, but not really that great for a number 9 pick.

Cassel looked like shit his first games, despite being on a really good team that HADN'T given up. Orton looked like shit his first whole season starting, despite being on a good team that HADN'T given up. Drew Brees looked like shit his first season starting, despite being on a good team that HADN'T given up.

Is Beck a good quarterback? Will he ever be a good quarterback?

Hell if I know, but there's just no way you can make that call now. The people (fans) who insist on doing so anyway... well...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray