Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 10:32:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Kurt Warner: Hall of Famer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Kurt Warner: Hall of Famer?  (Read 15183 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »

If Joe Namath is in, with one superbowl ring, a carreer completion percentage of 50% and more interceptions than touchdown passes, Warner should be a lock.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 12:41:15 am »

Joe Namath was a not-insignificant factor in the AFL-NFL merger.  He is not a good measuring stick.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 01:03:54 am »

Joe Namath was a not-insignificant factor in the AFL-NFL merger.  He is not a good measuring stick.

Joe Namath is a worthless pile of gator shit.  No redeeming value whatsoever.

I disagree and say he is an accurate measuring stick because the Hall of Fame is for the best ever regardless of when they played.  So if the worthless pile of gator shit is in the hall of fame, Kurt Warner, who actually has some redeeming value as a player and doesn't repeatedly embarrass himself publicly, and who has the same number of superbowl rings should also be in the hall of fame. 

Dphins4me
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 03:53:05 am »

Namath is in, because guaranteed the SB 3 win & he was the QB of the Jets when they beat the Colts to provide the AFL as a legit league which lead to the merger.  Using his stats & compare them to today players is not a fair gauge..  Back then DB could basically tackle Wr during their routes.

The HOF is not only about being the best players, but meaning to the league.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 11:23:15 am »

The HOF is not only about being the best players, but meaning to the league.

Wait...you mean it's actually the NFL Hall of "Fame," rather than the NFL Hall of "Statistical Achievement?"

Who would have guessed?  Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

Joe Namath is a worthless pile of gator shit.  No redeeming value whatsoever.

I disagree and say he is an accurate measuring stick because the Hall of Fame is for the best ever regardless of when they played.
If you use Joe Namath's career statistics as a measuring stick for the HOF, then they will need to build another wing to accommodate all the extra QBs.

He did not get in based on his career statistics; he got in based on the guarantee of a win that basically facilitated the AFL-NFL merger.  This is why he is not a good measuring stick.

run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 05:38:19 am »

Wait...you mean it's actually the NFL Hall of "Fame," rather than the NFL Hall of "Statistical Achievement?"

Who would have guessed?  Wink
Amen.

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »

All of this further underscores my point.  Joe Namath is in the hall of fame for ONE WIN.  And he's not responsible for the AFL NFL merger as much as Lamar Hunt and Pete Rozelle are.  He happened to be in the right place at the right time, with a head coach who was going against essentially his own players in Weeb Eubank.

So if Namath can be in the hall of fame for ONE WIN and being in the right place at the right time, why can't Warner be in the hall of fame for (ignoring his entire body of work) the Greatest Show on Turf and the Superbowl win over the Titans in 1999?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:06 pm »

If Tommy Maddox led the Los Angeles Xtreme to a win over the New England Patriots, facilitating an XFL-NFL merger, then we would be comparing apples to apples.

Otherwise, you're wasting your breath.  There is no point in using Namath as a measuring stick because no other QB has won a game of that historical magnitude.  Namath got in based on Super Bowl III, plain and simple... if there's another game with similar significance, the QB that wins THAT game will probably get in, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:38:28 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:38 pm »

All of this further underscores my point.  Joe Namath is in the hall of fame for ONE WIN.  And he's not responsible for the AFL NFL merger as much as Lamar Hunt and Pete Rozelle are.  He happened to be in the right place at the right time, with a head coach who was going against essentially his own players in Weeb Eubank.

So if Namath can be in the hall of fame for ONE WIN and being in the right place at the right time, why can't Warner be in the hall of fame for (ignoring his entire body of work) the Greatest Show on Turf and the Superbowl win over the Titans in 1999?

The reason the NFL and AFL merged was player salaries.  Namath signed an ungodly contract worth nearly half-a-million dollars including $30k each for his brother and brother-in-law.  The big wigs got together and said it's time for a merger.  Namath was the catalyst.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780375725067&view=excerpt
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 11:53:31 am »

Joe Namath does not belong in the hall of fame, Kurt Warner does. 

Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »

There is no point in using Namath as a measuring stick because no other QB has won a game of that historical magnitude.  Namath got in based on Super Bowl III, plain and simple... if there's another game with similar significance, the QB that wins THAT game will probably get in, too.
Namath led them to whopping 16 pts. Maybe every guy on defense from that Jets team should be in the hall of fame instead of Namath.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 08:58:35 pm »

He was the MVP of the Super Bowl.  What more do you want?

Dphins4me
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:16 pm »

It may have only been one win, but it was a hell of a win.  Yes, Hunt & Rozelle played the more important roles, but it was the Jets win that helped sell & validate the AFL.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 10:49:57 pm »

It may have only been one win, but it was a hell of a win.  Yes, Hunt & Rozelle played the more important roles, but it was the Jets win that helped sell & validate the AFL.

Al Davis had a big hand in that too.  He was the original commissioner of the AFL.  This guy was dynamite when he was young and lucid.  He signed enough players from the NFL to make NFL team owners VERY nervous about what the AFL could do in the years to come with their gaudy looking uniforms and their tendency to throw the ball a lot.  That's another big reason why the merger took place.   

Here's a trivia question.  Which three AFC teams were originally in the NFL prior to the merger, but agreed to move to the AFC when the merger took place?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray