Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 12:20:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Kurt Warner: Hall of Famer?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Kurt Warner: Hall of Famer?  (Read 15290 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

LOL, 99-01 are not the greatest years of any qb ever.  lol.
Name any QB, ever, that has had a better 3-year stretch.

He has only started 85 games in the NFL, yet has over 200 fumbles and interceptions.
And he also has 182 TDs and 48 300-yard passing games in that same time frame.  What is your point?

the 99-01 rams had so much offensive talent you could take any average qb and he would have put up as numbers similar to Warner.
The '90s Cowboys offensive line was so overpowering that any RB could have walked through those gaping holes.  Therefore, Emmitt Smith is really a bum.

Steve Young had Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens.  He sucked before he got to SF.  Therefore, he was really just an average QB.

Yea, he has brought the Cardinals to the super bowl, but he hasn't put up that great of numbers this year even though he has larry fitzgerald and anquan boldin.
Yeah, his numbers sucked.

Warner (with Fitzgerald and Boldin) in 2008:
401/598 (67.1%), 4583 yds, 30 TD, 14 INT, 96.9 rating

Manning (with Harrison, Wayne, and Clark) in 2008:
371/555 (66.8%), 4002 yds, 27 TD, 12 INT, 95.0 rating ...and an MVP trophy

If Fitzgerald and Boldin are supposedly this automatic win button that makes any scrub QB look like the Football Jesus, why is Matt Leinart on the bench?

StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »

Kurt is a fine human being, but one of the greatest ever?  Not now but maybe later.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:33:18 pm »

Kurt is a fine human being, but one of the greatest ever?  Not now but maybe later.

I'd stop way short of calling him the greatest ever.  However, I would say he's got the greatest storyline on how he busted his ass to get to where he is. 

He signed with the Packers in 1994 as a undrafted FA and was quickly cut after two preseason games he never played in.  He was stocking shelves at a local supermarket at one point, then played Arena Ball and in NFL Europe.  Then he basically rode the pine for the Rams for a couple seasons. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 05:22:36 pm »

I'd stop way short of calling him the greatest ever.  However, I would say he's got the greatest storyline on how he busted his ass to get to where he is. 

He signed with the Packers in 1994 as a undrafted FA and was quickly cut after two preseason games he never played in.  He was stocking shelves at a local supermarket at one point, then played Arena Ball and in NFL Europe.  Then he basically rode the pine for the Rams for a couple seasons. 

He has a great story.  So do we put Wes Welker in before Randy Moss because one was an UDFA and the other was drafted in the first round?  Does Doug "to short to be a QB in the NFL" Flutie get inducted? 

While I like the story lines of Kurt Warner, Wes Welker, Greg Camarillo, and Matt Cassel, better than the story lines of Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, or  LaDainian Tomlinson the story line doesn't make a compelling reason for induction. 

Was the player one of the greatest of all time? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 05:24:04 pm »

He has a great story.  So do we put Wes Welker in before Randy Moss because one was an UDFA and the other was drafted in the first round?  Does Doug "to short to be a QB in the NFL" Flutie get inducted? 

While I like the story lines of Kurt Warner, Wes Welker, Greg Camarillo, and Matt Cassel, better than the story lines of Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, or  LaDainian Tomlinson the story line doesn't make a compelling reason for induction. 

Was the player one of the greatest of all time? 

I didn't say that his storyline alone should get him into the Hall of Fame..... but as far as heart warming storylines go, that's the best I've heard.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 05:32:18 pm »

I agree with Tommy and Jtex.  Warner's story is part of his HOF appeal.  He's worked his way up from the bottom, more than once.  He's had success at different levels, on different teams.

I don't like Warner, but I think that he's a HOFer.  He's got the total package -- multiple winners, Rings, MVP Awards, TD numbers, etc.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 05:42:59 pm »

I agree with Tommy and Jtex.  Warner's story is part of his HOF appeal.  He's worked his way up from the bottom, more than once.  He's had success at different levels, on different teams.

I don't like Warner, but I think that he's a HOFer.  He's got the total package -- multiple winners, Rings, MVP Awards, TD numbers, etc.

Not to mention that he sat on the bench in favor of a more "stud" QB (Trent Green and Matt Leinart).... then when he got his chance, he made the team into a contender.
Orlando Rays

You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:44 am »

If Warner wins this one, he's in for sure.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:15 am »

We should just induct every player of every team that has ever won the super bowl into the hall of fame instantly.

Why does the QB get all the credit?  Is Torry Holt a hall of famer?  He won a super bowl.  What about Trent Dilfer?  Brad Johnson? 

You can't just say "so-and-so won a super bowl, he deserves to be in the hall".  You have to have more than that.  Similarly, you CAN get into the hall without winning a super bowl.

So, why all the attention on Super Bowl performance?  Its one freakin' game, and it requires a strong TEAM, not a great player.
Dphins4me
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:09 am »

only 2 qbs who played after 1970 who are in the hall of fame started less than 150 regular season games.  Roger Staubach had 114 and Joe Namath 130.  Warner has 85.  I don't think there is any reason he should be in the hall of fame.
I do not think number of games played is a huge factor.  Dwight Stephenson only played in 114 games & he is in.  His career cut short by the knee injury.  Gale Sayers only played 4 full seasons.  Warner got a late start at age 28.  

Also, where are you getting 85 games?  NFL.com has him at 109.

Warner will get consideration, especially if the Cards win the Super Bowl.  He is in no way a 1st ballot HOFer.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:53 am »

Warner will get consideration, especially if the Cards win the Super Bowl.  He is in no way a 1st ballot HOFer.

Peter King (who holds one of the 44 votes) doesn't think Warner is HoF material (yet, anyway), but believes he'll be one of the sole "nay" votes.

Whether or not Warner makes it on his first shot, probably depends on who else is up that year. It's not unrealistic that Favre and Warner could be up for the HoF in the same year. Favre is (and no amount of pointing to interception statistics will change this) a first ballot HoF'er.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 10:44:22 am »

Peter King (who holds one of the 44 votes) doesn't think Warner is HoF material (yet, anyway), but believes he'll be one of the sole "nay" votes.

Whether or not Warner makes it on his first shot, probably depends on who else is up that year. It's not unrealistic that Favre and Warner could be up for the HoF in the same year. Favre is (and no amount of pointing to interception statistics will change this) a first ballot HoF'er.
Agreed about Favre, but not because of his super bowl rings.  Its because he broke all of the major career passing records (because he doesn't know when to hang up the cleats - anyone can break the records if they play enough seasons).
Tepop84
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 05:15:08 pm »

Also, where are you getting 85 games?  NFL.com has him at 109.

I got the number from pro-football-reference.com and the regular season game started had not been updated for 2008.  He has 101 games started.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 06:42:16 pm »

We have to get away from this mentality that people who win super bowls automatically deserve to be in the hall of fame.  Its not how you measure greatness of an individual.
At least it shouldn't be ....

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »

Agreed about Favre, but not because of his super bowl rings.  Its because he broke all of the major career passing records (because he doesn't know when to hang up the cleats - anyone can break the records if they play enough seasons).

I don't know about the anyone bit.

I'd have to take a good look at what Warner did between the Rams and Cards but he's not on the  first ballot. 

Also, Warren Moon was a stud in the NFL which is why he's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame...college, Arena, NFL Europe, that stuff is just filler.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray