Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 03:56:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How was the Super Bowl officiating?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How was the Super Bowl officiating?  (Read 5258 times)
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:47:35 am »

I have been listening to people whine all morning about how the Cardinals were robbed by the refs.  To me, this is no more than sour grapes.  I thought the refs did a good job.  The Cardinals committed a lot of penalties and the refs can't be held to blame for calling them.

I would like to know what people who had no particular stake in the outcome thought of the officiating.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Dphins4me
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:52:35 am »

I have been listening to people whine all morning about how the Cardinals were robbed by the refs.  To me, this is no more than sour grapes.  I thought the refs did a good job.  The Cardinals committed a lot of penalties and the refs can't be held to blame for calling them.

I would like to know what people who had no particular stake in the outcome thought of the officiating.
I thought for the most part they let them play.   Nothing jumped out at me, but as with most games I do not put much weight into blaming the refs.  Even if the refs made a bad call or two against the Cards.  They were in the lead with 2+ minutes to go & Pitts had to drive the field to win.

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:55:43 am »

It was horrible.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

I thought it was atrocious, as well.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »

Could you be more specific?

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Rick
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »

The officiating was FINE.  Their may have been a bad call or 2 but you have this in every game.  Stop WHINING (Cardinals fans) and play defense! Wink

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »

The only one that was defeinitely bad in my opinion was the roughing the passer. Other than that ... they were at least a judgment call.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:54:22 pm »

There were a few bad calls, but nothing that altered the outcome of the game.

Warner's INT in the endzone was a 10 point game-changer.  When you make mistakes like that, you lose football games.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »

I thought the officiating was pretty bad - i.e. perfectly in line with most of the games I've seen this year.

I didn't really have a stake in the game. I don't like either team, but neither do I dislike them. I don't mind the Steelers playing "dirty". Sure, there's a limit, but overall most of it comes from just playing the game with a lot of energy and edge - and that makes for an exciting spectacle and, usually, good results. I wish the Dolphins would play a little closer to the edge on D. Anyway, point is, I think I was about as neutral as you can get.

My main gripe is consistency. If bumping the quarterback 1-2 steps after he releases (with the defender's head down) is a roughing penalty, slamming the other quarterback 2-3 steps after he releases (with the defending looking right at the f'n pass) should have been one as well.

Continuing with the consistency gripe, the refs allowed VERY rough play for most of the game - both during the play and after - without throwing a flag. Then all of a sudden they start throwing flags for minor shit. Really, I don't care what "line" the refs take, but they need to stick to it. (OK, so I do care - I'd rather they allow more physical stuff, especially all the stuff that isn't likely to cause an injury).

I thought a lot of the flags thrown were for ticky-tack crap, but mostly my gripe is just the consistency of the officiating.

Bad game, bad year. (With regards to refereeing - great game, great year otherwise!)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:44 pm »

There were a few bad calls, but nothing that altered the outcome of the game.

How can you say that when you also raised the question about the last cardinals play? Time was still on the clock. One more play may have been the game winner.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »

How can you say that when you also raised the question about the last cardinals play? Time was still on the clock. One more play may have been the game winner.

I only raised the question of why it wasn't challenged by the booth.  I don't think the challenge would have been overturned, and it was ultimately the right call.  But it seems everything even remotely questionable goes to the booth for a 2 minute review.

The one call that was a no-call and could've made a difference was the excessive celebrating by Santonio Holmes.  He clearly used the ball as a prop after his TD and it was on TV and everything.  That would've been 15 yards on the kickoff.  ...that could've been a game-changer, because you're not in a position to have to go hail-mary as quickly.

I drink your milkshake!
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:47 pm »

^ Was he still on the field then or had he returned to the sidelines? (I don't know the exact rule but maybe it made a difference.)

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 06:55:46 pm »

^ Was he still on the field then or had he returned to the sidelines? (I don't know the exact rule but maybe it made a difference.)

Hmmm....not sure.  I think he was on the field.....at least in the corner of the endzone.  He used the ball like a shaker, sprinkled talcum on his hands, and then threw his hands up, like Lebron James does.

I think it's an undisputed 15 yards.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 07:49:04 pm »

and it was ultimately the right call. 

You and I disagree on that. The Steeler had his hand on the ball but it did not come lose from Warner until after a forward motion from what I saw. That is why it looked like a shotput. Both hands are on the ball as Warner was trying to throw it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 07:54:07 pm »

OK...fine -- either way.

Even if it is overturned, they didn't have the time to get downfield, short of a miracle hail-mary.  I don't think it would've changed the outcome was my whole point.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray