Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:30:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Will Peyton Manning ever win another Super Bowl?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Think he will?
Yes   -6 (31.6%)
No   -6 (31.6%)
It's about 50/50   -7 (36.8%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Will Peyton Manning ever win another Super Bowl?  (Read 2316 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:35 pm »

With Harrison and Dungy gone, will the Colts be able to rebuild under Manning, or will Manning go somewhere else and find success?

(edited to add the missing "L" at the end, just because it was bugging me)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:26:12 pm by Sunstroke » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:58 pm »

I doubt it.  Manning will be a Colt for the rest of his career.... which really isn't going to last too much longer.  Six more years at the most.  Right now, the Colts are on the downswing and may be in salary cap hell for years to come. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:58:21 pm »

I don't think he will either.  I think the Colts are going to get worse before they get better, and Manning was only able to win when he had an absolute powerhouse offense.  You don't see QBs jump to new teams and win the SB, especially late in their careers, and especially with big name guys who cost a lot of money to bring in.

It's far more likely for a bum QB (a Trent Dilfer type) to win a 2nd SB with a 2nd team, because he'd most likely be brought to a defensive team.  It's not likely that a team like the Bears would pay for a Manning late in his career, while they might pick up a Dilfer.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:44 am »

Right now, the Colts are on the downswing and may be in salary cap hell for years to come. 

We can debate the "downswing" (their defense arguably hasn't been better), but why the "salary cap hell for years to come"?

2009 is the height of Manning's cap hit. Dallas Clark's hit drops from from almost $14 mil this year to just over $6 next year. Marvin Harrison has been cut. Corey Simon's $6 mil a year cap hit (dead money, anyone?) has finally come off the books.

In fact, the only guy who's going to be a significantly larger cap burden going forward is Dwight Freeney, who I'm guessing will be forced to restructure or leave after the 2010 season (if not a year earlier).

Sure, there are going to be some rising stars that will require payment in order for the Colts to keep them, but that's the norm for any team.

Certainly, I don't see anything that would indicate the Colts being in WORSE cap shape in the future than they are today - quite the opposite.

http://www.coltscap.net/futures.php
bsfins
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:59:19 pm »

I think a Healthy Joseph Addai,and O line,were big reasons why the Colts weren't colt like this year (and Mannings knee) I think Gonzolez will fit fine as a starting WR....I say the chances are 50/50....He'll make it to another one....

Are we doing the southern redneck version of the super bowl with "Super Bow"?  Cheesy
Dphins4me
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:09:41 pm »

Nope, because the Dolphins are going to be representing the AFC for the next decade.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:25:18 pm »

I put in "yes" as the answer, because I believe that the Colts can retool rather quickly, and Peyton Manning's style of play is very conducive to performing well late in his career. I also agree with fyo's call about their defense never being better. Their D is also fairly young at key spots. I think they add some pieces and have another trophy within 4 years.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 05:38:25 pm »

I'm with B.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray