Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:26:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  abuse a mutt 22 months --- kill a human 1 month
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: abuse a mutt 22 months --- kill a human 1 month  (Read 18238 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:44 pm »

Stallworth got 30 days in jail.

This is fucking unbelivable.  What stallworth did is 1000 times worse than Vick. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:12:11 pm »

not in florida .. apparently the victim was walking in the middle of the road and in florida that transfers responsibility from the driver to the pedestrian
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:26:37 pm »

This is fucking unbelivable.  What stallworth did is 1000 times worse than Vick. 

One was an intentional act (Vick's dog abuse)...one was a stupid mistake (Stallworth's drinking and driving, victim's walking down the middle of the fucking road) that resulted in one of the people's death.

I am a little surprised at how light the sentence is for Stallworth too, but not really shocked by it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:36:05 pm »

One was repeated offense and deliberate, the other was a one-time accident against a moron in the road.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:05:38 pm »

Stallworth pled guilty.  Correct me if I am wrong, but if someone agrees to plead out, isn't the sentence usually less than if they went to trial and were found guilty? (like Vick?) 

Leonard Little was driving drunk and ran a red light and struck another vehicle, killing Susan Gutweiler (yes, I have committed her name to memory).  He got 90 days in jail, served during the off season.  A similar thing happened to my cousin's friend and he got no jail time. 

There is a laxity in our legal system when it comes to killing someone while driving.  If you want someone dead, just run them down with your car.  You will get off easy.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »

Get off the back of the victim in this. Calling him a "Moron" and saying things like "walking down the middle of the fucking road" are uncalled for. The guy was crossing the road just as any of us have done and was hit by a car that had enough visibility to flash his lights and honk his horn as a warning. If I have the time to do that, I have the time not to hit a pedestrian.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

They let Stallworth plead out because they knew their case was shaky against him.  The guy was not in the crosswalk, jumped out in front of him, and apparently had also been drinking. 

A short jail sentence, and taking care of the victim's family at the same time is a Godsend for Stallworth.  After he serves his time, he can put this ugly incident behind him.  I hope he learns from this. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:45 pm »

and apparently had also been drinking. 

No he wasn't. He had just clocked out of work and was walking to the bus stop to get home. The building he works in was so close to the accident the other employees heard it and ran outside.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »

What they fail to mention is that he also got a lifetime driver's license suspension and 10 years of probation.

That's pretty significant, too.
Dphins4me
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:11:43 pm »

In terms of who died, yes it is worse.  In terms of moral character it is not.

When you can sit & do the things Vick did then it speaks to the morality of a person.  The soullessness.

Give Stallworth some credit.  He stood up & took responsibility for what he did.  The case appeared to be so shaky that the prosecution felt it was their best option of punishing him..  There most likely was a high chance of him getting off without punishment.

He also agreed to a settlement with the family.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 08:01:49 pm »

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, a construction worker struck and killed early on March 14 by Stallworth, driving drunk in his black 2005 Bentley. The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

I bet the Victim is resting peacefully knowing that his family sold him out. 

Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:54 pm »

WOW just read this!! Thats fucked up!!

SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:07 pm »

It's called comparable negligence. The same can be applied if you're in a car accident, injured but were not wearing a seatbelt. It means that you, as the victim, played into your becoming the victim. The victim here was jaywalking, an illegal act no matter how common.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »

It's called comparable negligence. The same can be applied if you're in a car accident, injured but were not wearing a seatbelt. It means that you, as the victim, played into your becoming the victim. The victim here was jaywalking, an illegal act no matter how common.

Comparative negligence was never discussed in my crime law class.  And that is because it is NOT a criminal law concept.  It it a tort concept (the civil suit.) Compartive negligence is a very valid reason for the victim's family to get little or no money, but is not a reason to reduce his criminal sentence.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »

I bet the Victim is resting peacefully knowing that his family sold him out. 

If I were struck and killed by a car, I would want the person responsible punished, of course, but I would also want my family taken care of. I would rest perfectly peacefully in the situation as described.

Do note that it was apparently the 15-year-old daughter who wanted to put the matter behind her. Doesn't sound like a money-grabbing move, but rather a sincere wish to move on. Can't say I blame her.

As for the punishment, I don't think it's that unreasonable. Had Stallworth not been famous, he could easily have gotten off without prison time. In cases where the defendant has no criminal record, is an "upstanding member of the community", didn't drive off, and cooperated fully from the very beginning, that's not an uncommon outcome - judging by the few cases I know or have heard of.

As is, he got:

- 30 days in jail.
- 2 YEARS of house arrest.
- 8 years of probation.
- 1000 hours of community service.
- Lifetime suspension of driver's license.
- Drug and alcohol testing.

I don't know... I think that's a significant punishment and not at all unreasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray