Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:21:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  abuse a mutt 22 months --- kill a human 1 month
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: abuse a mutt 22 months --- kill a human 1 month  (Read 18236 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »

- 2 YEARS of house arrest.
- 8 years of probation.

I want to know more about his house arrest and probation, before I consider them any sort of real punishement.  According to reports they won't prevent him from playing in the NFL. 

So a house arrest that doesn't require you to stay in the state (Florida), even if the "house" is the one in Ohio, he is allowed to leave 8 weekends to travel to different cities.  Doesn't sound like a real house arrest to me. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:57 pm »

I want to know more about his house arrest and probation, before I consider them any sort of real punishement.  According to reports they won't prevent him from playing in the NFL. 

So a house arrest that doesn't require you to stay in the state (Florida), even if the "house" is the one in Ohio, he is allowed to leave 8 weekends to travel to different cities.  Doesn't sound like a real house arrest to me. 

In most cases of house arrest, you are allowed to leave your house to go to work.  In his case, work is in different NFL cities 10 times out of the year (counting two preseason games).  What would probably have to happen is he has to stay confined to his hotel room when he is on the road with the team unless the team is participating in some sort of team function that is football related. 

Lifetime suspension of driver's license is what's really going to hurt him.  How will he be able to function after he retires from football??
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:36 pm »

How will he be able to function after he retires from football??

Maybe another board member can help out.

Janet -- can you think of any cities in which one can function without a car? 

run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 02:51:31 am »

This is a really good thread.  KUDOS everyone.

Stallworth's crime was an accident, but his driving-under-the-influence makes him more culpable in my opinion.  It's not really an "accident" when you're driving under the influence.  KUDOS to him for pleading guilty. 

What he did, drinking and driving, was stupid, but I don't think the results of that can be called a mistake.  Bad things happen when you drink and drive.  If you point a loaded gun at a crowd of people, but close your eyes before you pull the trigger, you can't claim that you shot someone by "mistake".

Did Stallworth really flash his lights and honk his horn before striking the victim?  If so, why didn't the victim get out of the way?  (Anyone old enough to remember the old commercials: "You may be the toughest kid on your block but you'll never win a fight with an automobile"?)

Stallworth going to jail for a long time won't do much for the victim's family.  Money will.  Somehow I think most father's would prefer their families being taken care of over a long jail sentence.

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:03 am »

^^^

Agree.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 08:58:36 am »

Lifetime suspension of driver's license is what's really going to hurt him.  How will he be able to function after he retires from football??

He is eligible to apply for a hardship license after 5 years I believe it said.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 09:03:31 am »

Micheal Vick spent 22 months in jail and 2 months under house arrest.  Godell said he won't even begin the process of considering Vick's reinstatement into the NFL until after the 2 months of house arrest have concluded.

I hope he remains consistant and waits until Stallworths house arrest has ended before considering reinstatement.  

If you point a loaded gun at a crowd of people, but close your eyes before you pull the trigger, you can't claim that you shot someone by "mistake".

While I agree with most of the rest of your post this is a bad example.  

What you describe is murder.  Specifically depraved heart murder, there is a famous case about 2 kids who were randomly firing a gun at a train.

Stallworth committed manslaughter.  

A closer anology would be if Plexico's gun had killed somone instead of simply injuring himself.  The reason laws against not bring a loaded unregistered gun into a night club using your sweatpants as a holster are similar to the reasons for laws against drinking and driving -- someone might get hurt or even killed.  

But even though Plexico didn't hurt anyone but himself he will likely get a stricter sentence.  

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 09:04:31 am »

He is eligible to apply for a hardship license after 5 years I believe it said.

Lifetime rarely means lifetime.  I have also heard his 30 days is really 22. 

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 12:29:09 pm »

Lifetime rarely means lifetime.  I have also heard his 30 days is really 22. 

That's because in jail, particularly state or county jails, you get time subtracted for a lot of things, from sweeping your cells to taking college courses.
Dphins4me
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 12:42:04 pm »

Micheal Vick spent 22 months in jail and 2 months under house arrest.  Godell said he won't even begin the process of considering Vick's reinstatement into the NFL until after the 2 months of house arrest have concluded.

I hope he remains consistant and waits until Stallworths house arrest has ended before considering reinstatement.    
Anyone trying to compare Vick & Stallworth.  Lets point out the big facts here.

Vick lied to the Feds & financed a felony for something like 7 Yrs.  He also lied to Goodell, something I'm sure is playing a part in Goodells lack of urgency in reinstating Vick.   Vick did not make a simple one-time mistake.

Stallworth called the police on himself & has been remorseful about what he did.  Stallworth made a one-time mistake & it cost a man his life.    Some are acting as if Stallworth was high fiving after hitting this man, because he just score mega points.  He has to live with this mistake & from the way he has acted I highly doubt its something he is taking lightly.

As far as the payout.  Chances are the family did not want to sit in a courtroom & listen over & over how their family member died.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 05:58:37 pm »

This is a really good thread.  KUDOS everyone.

Stallworth's crime was an accident, but his driving-under-the-influence makes him more culpable in my opinion.  It's not really an "accident" when you're driving under the influence.  KUDOS to him for pleading guilty. 

What he did, drinking and driving, was stupid, but I don't think the results of that can be called a mistake.  Bad things happen when you drink and drive.  If you point a loaded gun at a crowd of people, but close your eyes before you pull the trigger, you can't claim that you shot someone by "mistake".

Did Stallworth really flash his lights and honk his horn before striking the victim?  If so, why didn't the victim get out of the way?  (Anyone old enough to remember the old commercials: "You may be the toughest kid on your block but you'll never win a fight with an automobile"?)

Stallworth going to jail for a long time won't do much for the victim's family.  Money will.  Somehow I think most father's would prefer their families being taken care of over a long jail sentence.

Perhaps the victim was exhausted after a long shift and did not hear/recognize what was going on until it was too late. I have witnessed cars drive down the road with an emergency vehicle going code three on their ass and not "see or hear" them until they were passed.
RJINTAMPA

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 08:59:32 pm »

Very good post guys, I think the stallworth punishment is fair just as much as the punishment to vick was.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:01 pm »

I don't buy the honking and flashing thing.  If he had time to see a guy honk and flash and he ran him over anyway?  I think he SAID that to make it seem like he tried to warn the guy...  why not slam on the brakes or swerve to miss him.  I don't know about you but I'd rather drive my car off the road than run a guy over. 

But that's just me.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 09:19:49 am »

Give Stallworth some credit.  He stood up & took responsibility for what he did.  The case appeared to be so shaky that the prosecution felt it was their best option of punishing him..  There most likely was a high chance of him getting off without punishment.

Thank you.  Right from the start.  He did everything he was asked to do and he didn't seek out the sentence he received.  Right from the start he basically said "I can't bring the guy back, tell me how I can at least set up his family financially."  That was in the works before the sentence was handed down.

What makes more sense in this case? 

Choice 1:  The guy is dead.  Stallworth is in jail for 5 years.  The dead guy's family is broke, sues Stallworth and gets nothing because he spent his money on legal defenses and now can't play and earn more money.

Choice 2:  The guy is STILL DEAD.  Stallworth goes to jail for a period of time, loses his license for a dog's age, the dead guy's 15 year old daughter is set for life (as is the rest of the family) and Stallworth spends the next 20 years preaching to young people about what he did...owns it...and begs for it not to happen again.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:43 pm »

From PFW

Goodell Cites “Public Confidence” In Suspending Stallworth
Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2009, 5:31 p.m.
Plenty of people think that Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth got a slap on the wrist from the justice system, receiving 30 days in jail and two years of house arrest after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter.

The perception that justice wasn’t done apparently fueled Commissioner Roger Goodell’s decision to suspend Stallworth indefinitely, only two days after the guilty plea was entered.  Citing concepts like the integrity of the game and public confidence in the sport, Goodell moved far more swiftly than anyone expected.

“The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable,” Goodell wrote to Stallworth.  “While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL Commissioner to determine appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL.

“The conduct that led to your conviction plainly violates both the Personal Conduct and Substances of Abuse policies.  Either provides me with full authority to take appropriate disciplinary action against you, including a fine or suspension without pay, and to impose appropriate conditions on your continued participation in the NFL. In this case, there is ample evidence to warrant significant discipline under both policies.

“There is no reasonable dispute that your continued eligibility for participation at this time would undermine the integrity of and public confidence in our league. Accordingly, I have decided to suspend you indefinitely, effective immediately.  In due course, we will contact your representatives to schedule a meeting with you, after which I will make a final determination on discipline.  Pending my final determination, you will not be permitted to visit the club’s facility or participate in any team activities.

“Everyone associated with the league derives tremendous benefits from participating in our game and from the extraordinary support we receive from the public.  With these benefits comes, among other things, the responsibility to conduct ourselves in a lawful and responsible way, with no entitlement to or expectation of favorable treatment.”

Wow.

Somewhere, Mike Vick and Plaxico Burress just peed a little.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray