Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:47:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Oregon player punches Boise State player
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Oregon player punches Boise State player  (Read 8757 times)
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »

He needs to be Tazed.  (JUST KIDDING.........Relax )

Kicked off the team?  Thats a Battery and I would call Law enforcement. Arrested and Kicked off is more like it.

Since we are talking law here, many states have laws in place that if you make a comment to someone that could provoke a person to fight it is the equivilent to throwing the first punch.
We do not know what was said, but I agree with DB, if that punch had not planted him on his ass, this would not be nearly as big a story.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 01:26:42 pm »

what an an idiot one thing to puch the guy in the face... Good punch by the way.   But to go after the fans, come on he should have been using better judgment. He totally messed up his future. 

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »

Since we are talking law here, many states have laws in place that if you make a comment to someone that could provoke a person to fight it is the equivilent to throwing the first punch.
We do not know what was said, but I agree with DB, if that punch had not planted him on his ass, this would not be nearly as big a story.

Last time I checked words can't hurt. No matter what was said. But it looked friendly enough because the guy that got hit was smiling. I'd like to know of 1 state that has that Law. I can't even see Texas having such a dumb Law.

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 09:21:50 pm »

Watching ESPN right now.   They are reporting that Blount (The Oregon RB) has been suspended for the remainder of the season and cannot wear any Oregon attire for any college postseason games (Hula Bowl/Shrine Game). 

He's a senior coming off a 1002 yard ant 17 TD season.  This was his year to break out.  Although I think his actions are depolrable and I agree with the punishment, I feel bad for him in a way because this is going to mess up his NFL chances. 

IMO, they should have done this to Brandon Merriweather back in 2006 when he stomped on that FIU player. 

Feel Sorry for him? Can you imagine this guy in the Pro's? He would take up a teams Valuable draft pick , get the Team penilized and be a maggot in the Locker room. He's lucky he's not facing Legal charges. He should be.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »

I don't think that there is any state that has such a law.

What many states do allow for is a lessor offense if the comment was outrageous that a reasonable person in a similiar sitution would be unable to control themselves and there was no adiquate cooling off period.  

Calling a player on the losing team a loser would not quailfy.

Telling someone whose sister had been burtally raped and mudered and mutilated, "I was the person who raped your sister.  The best part was listening to her whimpers and beg for mercy as I chopped off her fingers one by one."  Would probably quailfy for the assaliant to get a lessor offense.  Lessor offense....not off scot free.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »

He needs to be Tazed.  (JUST KIDDING.........Relax )

LMAO...

Kudos when they are due.  You literally made me laugh out loud on this one, well done.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 09:41:15 pm »

Feel Sorry for him? Can you imagine this guy in the Pro's? He would take up a teams Valuable draft pick , get the Team penilized and be a maggot in the Locker room. He's lucky he's not facing Legal charges. He should be.

Gotta agree. 

Holy crap, that's twice in one thread.  Think the locusts are coming soon!  Wink

The guy had issues before this as well.  If he can't hack college how will he carry himself when you stuff his pockets with green?  He seems like a bad egg all around.  Case in point is Lawrence Phillips.  That cat should have never been given a shot in the NFL after the crap he pulled while a "student" in college.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 12:34:43 am »

I don't think that what he's done warrants expulsion from school. I think that's sort of a knee jerk reaction. Suspend him from the team this season, you betcha, but let him redeem himself next season, and keep an eye on him academically in the mean time.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 02:21:17 am »

I am under the impression that physical violence and verbal sparring aren't in the same ballpark of severity.

Hitting something is infinitely more objectionable to me, no matter what has been said.

I'm not condoning trash talk, but you don't hit.  Punching another player is never OK and doing so should result in serious, serious penalties.  In a case like this, where the guy didn't have a helmet on, I'd call the authorities and have the guy arrested.  I wouldn't take one iota of shit.

I drink your milkshake!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 02:32:48 am »

I'm not condoning punching  a rival ball player either. There's no room for that in competition.  But the opinions I've heard and read on this instance, calling for this kid's expulsion from school go, over the top for me.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 02:38:26 am »

I think he should be kicked off the team and his scholarship revoked.  If he decides to stay in school there, fine.

I drink your milkshake!
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 02:42:35 am »

Oh, he's on scholarship? Hmmmm.... I didn't even think about that. My bad.

Bibamus, moriendum est

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 07:52:32 am »

Oh, he's on scholarship? Hmmmm.... I didn't even think about that. My bad.

Yes, and if you get kicked off the team for that type of behavior or other misbehavior, your scholarship is revoked.  Doesn't mean you can't get it back later. 

Case in point:  Former Gators and current Patriots WR Jabbar Gaffney.  He was caught stealing stuff out of a teammate's locker as a sophomore and was kicked off the team by then coach Steve Spurrier.  He approached coach Spurrier later with the teammate he stole from, apologized for what he had done, and asked for a second chance.  Spurrier let him come back to the team as a walk on for his junior year, then put him back on scholarship for his senior year.

Now in the case of the Oregon RB, he's a senior, so his college career is likely over.  I don't think you can get a redshirt for being suspended like you can for injuries.
Gabriel
YJFF Member

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 09:01:29 am »

If I were the kid from Boise State, I would press charges.

I don't understand why this kid gets to keep his scholarship? I would have lost my academic scholarship if my GPA fell below 3.0. Why does he get to keep his athletic scholarship when he's no longer allowed to play?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40:24 pm »

If I were the kid from Boise State, I would press charges.

I don't understand why this kid gets to keep his scholarship? I would have lost my academic scholarship if my GPA fell below 3.0. Why does he get to keep his athletic scholarship when he's no longer allowed to play?

I don't think pressing charges would do anything to Blount.  Blount is in Oregon, and if he commited simple assault/battery in Idaho, I doubt the law would go after him for that.  The county in which Boise State is in would have to pay for Oregon to hold him until they come and get him, and most don't do that for crimes like battery.  So if charges are filed against him, all he'd have to do is stay out of Idaho and he'd be fine..

I'm trying to remember where Defense touched up on that.....  Oh yeah, I remember now  It's in the Carnie Folk thread.

http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/forums/index.php?topic=13803.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray