Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:01:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jays fire GM J.P Riccardi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jays fire GM J.P Riccardi  (Read 1732 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: October 03, 2009, 04:00:13 pm »

finally!!!!!!!!!

Ricciardi out as Blue Jays GM
Turbulent season marks end of eight years in Toronto

J.P. Ricciardi led the Blue Jays to four winning season and four losings seasons as GM. (AP)

By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com

10/03/09 1:06 PM ET

BALTIMORE -- The Blue Jays began an organizational shift on Saturday, parting ways with general manager J.P. Ricciardi after eight years at the helm. It brings an end to an era in which Ricciardi fell short of returning the Toronto franchise to its previous heights.

Effective immediately, assistant general manager Alex Anthopoulos -- expected to join the Blue Jays in Baltimore on Saturday -- will assume Ricciardi's role. Interim president and CEO Paul Beeston is also scheduled to be at Camden Yards to address the situation.

"This was a tough decision and a difficult one for me personally, as I have enjoyed J.P.'s friendship and his perspective on the game," Beeston said in a release. "J.P. has put an incredible amount of effort into improving the team and he has brought along a number of great young players. However, I feel that it is time for a change and accordingly we have decided to move on."

The decision comes with two games remaining in a disappointing and turbulent season for the Blue Jays, who will finish with a losing record for the first time since 2005. A poor economy led to a slash in team payroll last winter, Toronto's home attendance decreased this year for the first time since '03, and an in-house feud between a group of players and manager Cito Gaston was made public on Friday.

Ricciardi, who joined the Blue Jays in 2001, was the longest-serving general manager without a trip to the postseason on his resume. Toronto's best finish under Ricciardi came in 2006, when the club won 87 games and placed second in the American League East. In a division that includes the Red Sox, Yankees and Rays, though, that was not enough to clinch a playoff berth.

Beyond the decision about Ricciardi, Beeston also is expected to name a permanent president and CEO in the coming weeks. Now, there is also the touchy situation regarding the 65-year-old Gaston -- beloved by the Jays' fan base. A group of players indicated Friday that they want to meet with Beeston to discuss a variety of issues they have with the manager.

Gaston, who guided the Jays to back-to-back World Series crowns in 1992-93, has one year remaining on his contract, as did Ricciardi, as well as each member of the coaching staff. Also under contract through 2010 is ace Roy Halladay, who was floated in trade talks by Ricciardi in July and could be up for grabs again this offseason.

Ricciardi faced criticism for his handling of the Halladay situation earlier this year, adding to a list of off-field issues in the GM's time with Toronto. Ricciardi has been praised for players he drafted -- Aaron Hill, Adam Lind and Travis Snider are among those picked on Ricciardi's watch -- but free-agent signings and other decisions and issues often pushed the GM's good moves to the background.

Earlier this season, former closer B.J. Ryan -- signed by Ricciardi to a five-year, $47 million contract prior to the 2006 season -- was released due to persistent struggles, though Toronto is still on the hook to pay the pitcher $10 million in '10. In August, the Jays received nothing in return from the White Sox in a waiver claim that sent Alex Rios, and the $60 million left on his contract, to Chicago.

Anthopoulos -- born in Montreal -- joined the Jays as a scouting coordinator in 2003 after working in the Expos organization. The 32-year-old, who is highly-regarded for his creative work with player contracts, was promoted to the position of assistant to the general manager in '05, and was then named vice president, baseball operations and assistant general manager, in '06.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:57:21 am »

Oh happy day?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 03:19:16 pm »

I think he did a fine job with the farm system, but he was a shit GM when it came to trades and contracts. I think if he actually got a haul for Halladay he would still be the GM, but he botched that terribly. He pretty much lowered Roy's trade value by 50% because the trading team would be able to use him for TWO pennant chases, not just one.

I would have no problem with him joining the Yankees scouting department, as their farm system isn't really as great as it is made out to be sometimes.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:38 am »

I think he did a fine job with the farm system, but he was a shit GM when it came to trades and contracts. I think if he actually got a haul for Halladay he would still be the GM, but he botched that terribly. He pretty much lowered Roy's trade value by 50% because the trading team would be able to use him for TWO pennant chases, not just one.

I would have no problem with him joining the Yankees scouting department, as their farm system isn't really as great as it is made out to be sometimes.

Unfair to pin the Halliday thing on him alone.  All trade requests were run by ownership.  Riccardi approved two trades.  The first was a package submitted by Tampa.  That package included Upton and Carlos Pena.  Ownership said no.  Riccardi approved the trade package sent by Boston which was a monster - Buccholz, Lars Anderson, Masterson, Manny Delcarmen and Josh Reddick.  Boston would have received Halliday, Rios and a draft pick.  Again, ownership said no. 

Ownership took a look at the attendance numbers and decided the bump that they get when Halliday pitches at home was worth more than what he would net him in a trade.

Regarding the FA signings that Riccardi has made, he at least got some players to come north.  He had to overpay to get them to come to Toronto. 

I don't think it's fair to put all the blame of Toronto at his feet.  Let's not forget that had his entire pitching rotation except Halliday not gone down with injuries it would have been a much different season.  Offense was good, defense was good, bullpen was okay...starting pitching killed them.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:19:03 pm »

Upton and Pena is a terrible hail for Halladay, considering Carlos will make the big bucks very soon.

The Sox package was huge, but how could they have received a draft pick? I thought you couldn't trade those.

I don't blame him entirely, but he was in charge for a long time and they never once made a competitive wild card push. Even the Rays went to the World Series once. I am sure he is actually relieved, seeing as how to compete in the AL East against the Yanks and Sox, you essentially have to make one perfect decision after another.
bsfins
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 12:59:07 pm »

Hijack - Maine was that more of a money thing,the owner saying No? Wouldn't they have lowered their payroll?
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 01:15:47 pm »

The Sox package was huge, but how could they have received a draft pick? I thought you couldn't trade those.

You don't see the actual trading of a pick.  What you will see often are deals where the "player to be named later" turns out to be a late round draft pick made out of the previous year.  I should have been more clear.  No, you can't trade actual picks.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray