Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:23:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sal "Loser" Alosi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Sal "Loser" Alosi  (Read 25190 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2010, 06:52:16 pm »

You can not prove intent based on location of standing if no actions are taken.
When you are staring at an opponent running at you at full speed, and you make no attempt whatsoever to get out of the way, that shows your intent.

Furthermore, as explained by Mike Golic, Alosi's particular wall was breaking the rules, anyway.  There are two lines in the sideline box, one for coaches only, and one (further back) for players and coaches.  Alosi's wall (which consisted of S&C coach Alosi and 5 inactive players) was in the coaches-only section of the sideline.  It's a clear violation.

In any case, I don't think Alosi is going to be fired, as the Jets don't want him rolling over on Westhoff and, ultimately, Rex Ryan.  Look for Alosi to "resign" within the week, which should leave him with a nice, fat, and undisclosed going-away present to make sure he doesn't give any interviews.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:56:03 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2010, 07:12:01 pm »

Upon further reflection, I partially see Brian's point in that there would be no flag thrown during a game for forming a wall until an opponent actually ran into it.

However, that says nothing about whether the league would drop a piano on you AFTER the game, which (now) they almost certainly would.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »

Im sure the competition committe will look into these tactics this offseason and I expect some minor rule change with this before next season.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »

Secret Transcript between Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum and Woody Johnson.

RR: *You're Goddamn right I did!*

Damn that's funny Hoodie!!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:29 pm »

This story is like the Christmas gift that just keeps on giving.  Like most stupid acts the cover up that follows turns out to be worse than the actual initial action.  After the Jets fail to make the playoffs they will look back upon the loss to the Pats and this stupid trip, and lament.  For the next couple years every time the Fins play the Jets they will replay this trip clip, and hopefully it will add a little distraction to their play in the game.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2010, 10:33:54 am »

They weren't outside the rules, though.  Make a wall, but stay inside the lines.

If the NFL doesn't like it, they can move the lines.
Looks like you have your wish.  The league sent a memo to all the teams detailing the rules regarding the sideline and only coaches and "a small amount of situation substitution players immediately ready to be sent into the game" are allowed in that first box just outside the white border that seperates the field of play.  There were at least 5 inactive players in that box.  Since they were inactive there's no way they could have been situation substituion players.  Only Alosi himself was within the rules by standing there.  All those inactive players should have been behind a solid yellow line that is 6 feet further back.  What's worse is that each team must designate a "getback" coach that is responsible for enforcing these rules.  Alosi is that coach for the Jets, so although he was within the rules by standing there, he was responsible for making sure that those inactive players were not standing there.  Not only did he fail to move them, he's admitted he told them to stand there.  They were outside the rules just by standing there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cf665f/article/nfl-reiterates-sideline-rules-restrictions-in-memo-sent-to-teams?module=HP_headlines
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:37:38 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2010, 11:08:13 am »

It keeps getting better......

The league is checking into whether Westhoff violated a league rule by publicly calling out the Patriots. A 2008 league memo from commissioner Roger Goodell, printed in the San Francisco Chronicle and brought to light Thursday by ESPNBoston.com, warned every team that making false claims against other clubs could result in penalties.
ion PollCenter

The memo read: "Any club or individual reporting a violation is expected to do so in good faith, to have a reasonable basis for believing a violation occurred, and to produce (or to identify) evidence to substantiate the claim. In the event I determine that a claim is made in bad faith, is frivolous or that the club or person making the complaint is unable to produce evidence to support the charge, I will impose appropriate sanctions."

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2010, 02:21:53 pm »

This is an excellent break down of Alosi's presser

http://www.newyorkshockexchange.com/content/view/313/37/

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2010, 03:17:42 pm »

The ball continues to roll:

NFL reviewing Jets for Tripgate, ESPN Boston

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Tripgate isn't over for the New York Jets, who could be subject to sanctions by the NFL for using inactive players in an illegal wall and publicly accusing the New England Patriots of the same tactic.

"All of these matters are under review," league spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday night in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com, responding to specific questions about the team's use of the wall and the Patriots-related remarks by special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff.

A league representative is expected to meet with Jets officials as part of the investigation, and that meeting may occur as soon as Friday.

The controversy stems from Sal Alosi, the Jets' strength and conditioning coach, tripping Miami Dolphins player Nolan Carroll in Sunday's game at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

The Jets suspended Alosi for the remainder of the season without pay, but they increased the penalty to an indefinite suspension after determining Alosi instructed five inactive players to stand shoulder-to-shoulder along the sideline. The wall formation was designed to act as a deterrent to Carroll, the Dolphins' gunner on punt coverage.

The NFL sent a letter to the 32 teams Thursday reminding them of the rules and restrictions for the bench area and sidelines.

Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president for football operations, emphasized the responsibilities placed on each team to appoint a "get-back coach" to ensure that players, coaches and other staff are in compliance with league rules.

Both head coach Rex Ryan and Westhoff said they had no knowledge of the wall until they reviewed the tape, claiming Alosi acted alone. But Westhoff may have inflamed the matter Wednesday, telling Chicago sports radio station ESPN 1000's "Waddle and Silvy Show" that the Patriots also have used it.

The league is checking into whether Westhoff violated a league rule by publicly calling out the Patriots. A 2008 league memo from commissioner Roger Goodell, printed in the San Francisco Chronicle and brought to light Thursday by ESPNBoston.com, warned every team that making false claims against other clubs could result in penalties.

The memo read: "Any club or individual reporting a violation is expected to do so in good faith, to have a reasonable basis for believing a violation occurred, and to produce (or to identify) evidence to substantiate the claim. In the event I determine that a claim is made in bad faith, is frivolous or that the club or person making the complaint is unable to produce evidence to support the charge, I will impose appropriate sanctions."

A Jets spokesman deferred to the league for comment.

Westhoff, in his 28th season as an NFL assistant, spoke to the Chicago radio station on the same day the Jets announced they had discovered "new information" on the Alosi matter -- information that he had organized the wall. He was part of that formation and extended his left knee as Carroll sprinted by.

"If you watch carefully, there is a pretty good team up north that lines up their whole defense when they do it, so it's something that just kind of happened," Westhoff told the radio station, confirming that he meant the Patriots.

Later in the day, addressing reporters at the Jets' facility, Westhoff said, "I'm not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong. Maybe they're doing something smart. That's up to you. Just watch the tape. You tell me. I know one thing, I don't teach it."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick doesn't meet with the media on Thursdays and was unavailable to comment.

Presumably, the league will investigate whether Alosi acted alone or whether he was instructed to organize the wall.

Ryan's old boss, Brian Billick thinks there's no way Ryan didn't no about the wall.

"Of course Rex knew about this," Billick, an NFL of FOX analyst, said Thursday on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" radio show. "Players crowding the sideline, a gunner running down the sideline, has always been an issue, and I think what you're going to see with the league is the proverbial, 'We have a rule in place, it is going to be enforced.'"

One of the Jets inactive players, tight end Jeff Cumberland, said Alosi had been instructing them from the start of the season to form the wall on punts.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said Wednesday he welcomed a league review.

"The league is going to look into this, as well they should," he said.

Tannenbaum also said he'd meet with Ryan and owner Woody Johnson for "a full and complete review of the facts." He didn't expect it to take long to determine Alosi's fate.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow him on Twitter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

--

So now outside of Alosi's trip (which is already a fait accompli), we have two potential sanctions for the Jets organization:

1) a Jets coach instructing inactive players to stand in a restricted area
2) a Jets coach making an accusation against another NFL team without providing evidence

If both of those stick, I think we could see the Jets lose a draft pick.  Keep hope alive!

edit: There's also a third option on the table.  So far, Rex and Westhoff have been pleading ignorance of the Alosi wall.  If it turns out that they had knowledge of it and attempted to cover it up, Goodell will detonate the Jets.  But for now, that's a pie-in-the-sky, cupcakes-and-rainbows best-case-scenario that's just too delicious to imagine.  So I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:22:37 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2010, 03:29:04 pm »

--

So now outside of Alosi's trip (which is already a fait accompli), we have two potential sanctions for the Jets organization:

1) a Jets coach instructing inactive players to stand in a restricted area
2) a Jets coach making an accusation against another NFL team without providing evidence

If both of those stick, I think we could see the Jets lose a draft pick.  Keep hope alive!

You missed one.  Alosi was the "get back coach" for the Jets.  The Ryan and Westoff have no idea why players would be listening to Alosi regarding where to stand.  BULLSHIT.  You told those players  that they need to listen to Alosi regarding where to stand.

Lying about what happened and the cover up is always worse than the actual deed. 

And keep in mind in Camaragate, BB never lied about anything factual.  His entire defense was as he read the memo what he was doing was legal and he should have gotten clarification.  We  can disagree if that is BS or not.  But he never attempted a cover up or lied about what he instructed others to do.  The guy with the camera was not suspended by the Patriots nor fined.  The man on the top took full responsibility.   

3. Making factual lies about Alosi's responsibilities. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

You missed one.  Alosi was the "get back coach" for the Jets.  The Ryan and Westoff have no idea why players would be listening to Alosi regarding where to stand.  BULLSHIT.  You told those players  that they need to listen to Alosi regarding where to stand.
Although I had already amended my post to include the lying option, I think you micharacterize Rex and Westhoff's position.  They are not saying that they don't know why the players would be listening to a coach (which is a transparently dumb claim to make); they are saying that they were paying no attention to the nature of that coach's instructions.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

Marino on CBS defending Westoff was funny. He looked like he was about to cry when Boomer called Westoff is a liar (not in those exact words)

It was odd seeing a Dolphins QB defend a Jets coach. And seeing a Jets QB ripping the Jets coaches!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray