Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 03:49:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sal "Loser" Alosi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Sal "Loser" Alosi  (Read 25252 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 07:17:35 pm »

according to PFT Jets announced.  Unclear if imposed by league or the team. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 08:09:43 pm »

Those 4 jokers were all lined up like wooden soldiers as close to the field as they could be.  Not one of them moved a muscle to get out of the way when a player came running at them.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if fat Rex told them to stand there to clog the path.  I don't think he told them to trip someone, though.  Even he's not that sleazy (or is he?).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 08:17:51 pm »

^^^ not only that none of them ever looked at the ball carrier.  They were focused on Nolan.  They had a job to do. And they did it. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:21 pm »

If that can be proven that these were orders from above (which I highly doubt), then not only should this guy be fired, but those that gave the orders should be given the boot, as well, all the way up the ladder.

But, I don't think that will happen, and I don't think that this was pre-planned.  At this point, from the evidence we have, it seems like conspiracy theory to suggest anything else.  If new evidence comes forward, I'll re-evaluate.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/23160/jets-deliver-strong-statement-on-sal-alosi

The NFL will not add to the sanctions, but ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported the league is looking into the incident to determine if Alosi and the Jets' inactive players were instructed to station themselves on the extreme edges of the sideline to inhibit Carroll from using that area to cover a punt.

As you can see in the still shot of the video below, Alosi and some inactive Jets players stood in a military-style phalanx, foot to foot, with their toes right up against the boundary. Alosi is stationed as close to the corner of the sideline box as allowable. That doesn't look like a coincidence.

Two punts before Alosi's trip, Dolphins safety Reshad Jones was flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for running out of bounds for about 30 yards. Players often get knocked out of bounds by defenders, but they must get back into the field of play as quickly as possible.

One of Alosi's game responsibilities is to make sure the Jets' sideline is clear, that their own players don't creep too close to the field. That person is called the get-back coach because he's often yelling at his players to do just that.

--

So the person whose responsibility it is to keep the players away from the field just happens to be standing at the exact maximum allowable distance towards the defender, with four other personnel standing shoulder-to-shoulder with him, toes on the sideline?

Get ready for this sh*t to blow up.  Alosi fell on the sword because of his overenthusiasm, but you can be sure that a) he's being taken care of under the table and b) this goes way deeper than just him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:39:53 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »

It makes no sense that Jets are the ones punishing him and not the league.  Had he tripped a Jets player during practice yeah then that is a team matter.  Just like I see Cable getting into a fight with another Oakland Raider a team matter not a league matter. 

But if Crowder grabs an opposing team players face mask does Sapano get to decide his punishment or set his fine?  Why should this be any different.  This employee attacked a player on the team of a division rival.  This is a league matter not a Jets team matter. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:20 pm »

The league would have stepped in if the Jets did not, but the Jets are certainly free to punish their own personnel for "conduct unbecoming."  If the league feels like the Jets' actions are harsh enough, they won't pile on.

If the Steelers chose to fine James Harrison $25k for a helmet-to-helmet on a QB, I doubt the NFL would add a fine to that, either.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 07:11:45 am »

I want to see the NFLPA step in and raise some hell now!

I think they should.
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 07:22:38 am »

It's fairly obvious that the way they are lined up on the sideline and their actions in not "scattering" at the first sign of an approaching player as stated by one of their coaches was their practice is a deliberate attempt to interfere with the team on the field.

If as has been suggested this practice is not limited to use by the Jets to assist their punt team on the field the league needs to look into it for player/staff safety and ethical reasons. I have to say if I thought unkitted team members were trying to stop me doing my job as a gunner by forming awall to stop me running their way, I'd be sure to have an accidental high speed collision with them on the sideline.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:17 am »

I am not sure if drunk driving is a great analogy cause there you aren't trying to harm someone.  It is more negligent than intentional

This is more like murder vs. attempted murder.  Or kids throwing rocks trying to break a neighbors window and hitting the wall vs actually breaking the window. 

He did it on purpose.   

It wasn't a particularly good analogy that I used.  That is why I wrote that I was having trouble putting into words what I was trying to say.  It made sense in my mind.    Grin
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 10:19:22 am »

They weren't outside the rules, though.  Make a wall, but stay inside the lines.

If the NFL doesn't like it, they can move the lines.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2010, 12:18:58 pm »

So Brian, suppose NYJ is driving down the field trying to win the game.  Sanchez scrambles for a first and runs out of bounds.  Mike Nolan is standing at the precise boundary of the Dolphin sideline and blocks (think NBA foul of "blocking") Sanchez to the ground as he crosses that boundary.  Oh well, guess Sanchez should have stayed in bounds?

Give me a break.   This kind of stuff is prohibited by rule.  From page 92 of the 2010 NFL Rulebook:

Rule 13-1-8: Non-player personnel of a club (e.g., management personnel, coaches, trainers, equipment men) are prohibited from making unnecessary physical contact with or directing abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures at opponents, game officials, or representatives of the League.

Intentionally (<--- this part is important!) obstructing opposing players, even on your own sideline, clearly falls within the realm of making "unnecessary physical contact."

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2010, 02:13:38 pm »

I agree, but that's not what I was saying.  They have a line they are instructed to stay behind.  They have the right to stand behind such line and they are not required by NFL rules to move out of the way.  By the same token, if Nolan Carroll wanted to tackle their asses inside that line, he could do so as well.

They don't have to move out of the way, and they're allowed to stand there.  The line is crossed when they start sticking limbs out beyond the line.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 02:38:49 pm »

...they are not required by NFL rules to move out of the way.
Yes they are.  He just pointed out in the rules where they are.  They are prohibited from making uncessary contact with the players.  I'm pretty sure that everyone agrees Alosi made unnecessary contact with a player.  He could have moved out of the way and he should have moved out of the way.  He saw him coming.  He moved into his way when he saw him coming.  You can stand there, but if a player is coming, you are by rule to get out of his way, you can't just stand there and you certainly can't move into his path.  The only thing the line does is dileniate where you must stand to not be flagged for interference on the play.  If he would have crossed that line he would have been flagged for interference.  There was no interference, but that doesn't mean he did nothing wrong.  Just like how the NFL imposes fines after games for play on the field, they can certainly impose fines for things off the field as well.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:49 pm »

I agree, but that's not what I was saying.  They have a line they are instructed to stay behind.  They have the right to stand behind such line and they are not required by NFL rules to move out of the way.
That's where you're wrong.  They ARE required by NFL rules NOT to intentionally stand in a location so as to cause "unnecessary physical contact".

They can stand anywhere in the box that they like, but they can't pick a location with the express purpose of interfering with opposing players.  Do you understand the distinction there?  Intent matters.

By the same token, if Nolan Carroll wanted to tackle their asses inside that line, he could do so as well.
Wrong again.  Nolan Carroll cannot tackle a coach, no matter where they are standing.  It is not his job to enforce the rules; that is the job of the officiating crew.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:44:05 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »

That's where you're wrong.  They ARE required by NFL rules NOT to intentionally stand in a location so as to cause "unnecessary physical contact".

They can stand anywhere in the box that they like, but they can't pick a location with the purpose of interfering with opposing players.  Do you understand the distinction there?  Intent matters.

I think you are going too far with this.  The must stand behind the white line.  Purposefully standing on the whiteline  starting before the kick cause they know the Dolphins player like to run out of bounds is quite a bit different than purposefully getting in the way once the play is underway.   

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray