Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 03:37:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  For those clinging to hope..................
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: For those clinging to hope..................  (Read 3907 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »

draft Jake Locker if he falls to us in the first round.

Is the Dolphin's only hole at QB?  You do realize you don't have a second round pick?  Is the teams most pressing need a THREE way competition for QB? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »

Jay Glazer is already reporting that McNabb who lives in Arizona will likely sign there in the offseason as he wants to be closer to home anyway. And Zona needs a QB. Match made in heaven.

But $$$ talks so maybe if Miami throws enough at McNabb he comes here.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 07:12:58 pm »

Do you think it's worth it to throw a bunch of money at a QB in his last years?  To me, that only makes sense if you think you are close (like the Vikings did with Favre).  Maybe we're closer than I think.  Outside of poor QB play, we have a lot of pieces in place.  Our special teams also has had a rough go, but I think that that's a matter of coaching.

I drink your milkshake!
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 08:09:33 pm »

I think I've seen enough of Henne.

TOO MANY PICKS.

We need to bring in somebody who will do for us what Pennington did in 2008.   

Me too, but it's the same old story with me. I just wanna see something different this year even if we lose, the year is gone anyhow in reality. The way I see it, Thigpen would be the perfect change up against the bills and lions. Everyone knows how to get to Henne, but Thiggy is sort of an unknown commodity in this system, at least for these 2 opponents.  Give him the 1st quarter of each game and see how it goes, if he can win let him. If not put Henne in. We have the D to handle it against these 2 teams, if not we need to lose anyhow. If Henne is gonna be our QB of the future he should be able to beat these 2 bottom scrapers after a quarter or two of shit play from Thigpen, if indeed that happens. That would be the best practice for Henne anyhow. Give Thigpen a shot then see how Henne responds under pressure. Hell, Rex was gonna pull dirty sanchez last week and Henne didn't do any better. Yet was there any talk of pulling Henne ?

So, if we have a better player than Henne on our roster, let's play them.  Unfortunately, we don't. 

I guess that I'll have to disagree again. If Thigpen had some more snaps and more than 5-6 quarters in 2 years in this system he might excel, or he might not. I don't want him to get away though. I would rather have someone that can improvise than a robot. I could be wrong and I probably am. I just want to be sure because the more I see Henne the more I want to vomit. And Makers Mark is too expensive to be vomiting up every Sunday, Bwahahaha !!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:17:54 pm by badger6 » Logged
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 01:47:39 am »

who the hell wants McNabb?  That's all we need is another loser QB who is too old,  will get sacked repeatedly and throw a ton of interceptions.  The dipshit didn't even understand the concept of overtime until somebody explained it to him.  Shanahan and Reid effectively run the same offense and he can barely make a first down. 

You're liable not to get a quarterback in the first round anyways if we end up picking later in it.

I'd rather they drafted a nasty running back or a killer ILB in the first round.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 02:00:42 am »

I guess that I'll have to disagree again. If Thigpen had some more snaps and more than 5-6 quarters in 2 years in this system he might excel, or he might not. I don't want him to get away though. I would rather have someone that can improvise than a robot. I could be wrong and I probably am. I just want to be sure because the more I see Henne the more I want to vomit. And Makers Mark is too expensive to be vomiting up every Sunday, Bwahahaha !!!

I don't believe in the politics of football.  If Thigpen were better, he'd be playing.  If he were better, he'd have started elsewhere.  It seems to me that the only (and I mean ONLY) reason to think that Thigpen is good is that Henne is so bad, that we get tricked into thinking that anything is better.

What have you seen out of Thigpen in all his years of playing that makes you think he's a viable NFL quarterback?

I drink your milkshake!
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 03:16:44 am »

What have you seen out of Thigpen in all his years of playing that makes you think he's a viable NFL quarterback?

Sorry Dave,  the only thing I want to see is progress. There is no progress with Henne this year. He has regressed. Thigpen isn't the answer in my opinion. But he should at least have a chance in my opinion. We have nothing to lose except face time.

Yea, let Henne stumble thru the Bills and Lions. What good is that gonna do ? Better yet, answer your own question. What have you seen out of Henne that makes you think he's a viable NFL QB Huh If the season is gone what does it matter Huh
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 05:54:17 am »

Thigpen had a shot vs Chicago.  He was god awful!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:41 pm »

You're liable not to get a quarterback in the first round anyways if we end up picking later in it.

Yeah...after the first 15 picks there are never any decent QBs left just look at some of the bums drafted where Miami will be drafting or later.

Brady #199
Marino #27
Brees #32
Romo undrafted
Favre #33
Montana #82

And of course drafting one at the top of the first round guarantees success:

Leaf #2
Sanchez #5
Russell #1

I am not saying the Dolphins ought draft a QB, but don't pretend that good ones can't be found late in the first round or later.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »

Didn't say you couldn't get any the late rounds, Hoodie, I don't think the draft class this year at quarterback is that deep to get one later in the draft.  And what they have is pretty hit and miss anyways.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 03:19:01 pm »

Didn't say you couldn't get any the late rounds, Hoodie, I don't think the draft class this year at quarterback is that deep to get one later in the draft.  And what they have is pretty hit and miss anyways.

How could any NEP fan ever claim you can't get a good QB in the late rounds? 

As for this particular draft class I don't know what is out there.  I doubt there is anyone as good as Brady falling to the 6th round.  But I am willing to bet there is someone as good as Cassell somewhere in the late rounds.

But I don't even think the Dolphins should be drafting a QB unless there is someone in the 4th round that the Dolphins scouting depart is saying, "how the hell is he still on the board, he should have gone in the 1st or 2nd round?"

You can't draft a QB every year.  If you're scouting department and QB development team can't make it work thru the draft it is time to consider FA/trade instead.  Where you are dealing with a more well known entity. 

But I would give Henne another year and if not then Thiggy.      How much money and draft picks can you tie up in one position. 

Or maybe you can find one in the CFL.  You didn't do so bad there with a linebacker. 

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 05:59:01 am »

Wrt drafting quarterbacks late in the draft, the successful ones pretty much always have one thing in common: Not a lot of playing time at a big college, making it hard to judge their talent. That means those quarterbacks aren't really on most people's radar since they're not getting a lot of national attention.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 08:32:00 am »

Wrt drafting quarterbacks late in the draft, the successful ones pretty much always have one thing in common: Not a lot of playing time at a big college, making it hard to judge their talent. That means those quarterbacks aren't really on most people's radar since they're not getting a lot of national attention.

After reading that...I realized there it is probably a lot easier for a team with a good QB and doesn't need one to draft a good QB in the late rounds than a team that actually needs a good QB.

For example. 

When the Patriots drafted Tom Brady they didn't need a starting QB, they had pro-bowl QB, Drew Bledsoe.  Heck they didn't even need a third string QB. In 2000 he was 4th on depth chart.  So it was pretty easy for the Pats to burn a 6th round pick on a QB that there wasn't a ton of tape on that might be good, but might be crap.  The neither long term plans nor short term plans for the Patriots necessitated them drafting a QB or Brady not being a camp cut down causality.   

Likewise, when the Patriots spent a 7th round on Matt Cassel.  Patriots already had a starter and a backup.  They were drafting their third string QB.  If he got cut at the end of camp, big whoopee.  If it turned out that he was decent that that is just a bonus. 

Patriots have brought in about a dozen QB thru the draft or UDFAs under BB and hit gold twice...Or maybe more accurate found the Hope Diamond once and hit silver once.  But BB can spin the QB roulette wheel each year cause he already has a franchise QB, first Bledsoe than Brady. 

And it is not just the Patriots. Fitzpatrick with the Bills who is better than Edwards or Losman or Sanchez or Henne was the only one of the five brought in to be a backup and not a starter.  Likewise Romo wasn't brought in to be a starter. 

But I do think it is a lot more likely to find diamonds in the rough at QB than any other position.  You can be a damn good QB and not play in college, just so long as the coach thinks another QB on the team is slightly better.  OTOH if are a good WR, RB, DB, DL, OL etc you will see the field even if another player on the team is better than you at your position.  And the odds of a college team having five NFL quality level DBs is almost nil, so there isn't gonna be an NFL quality DB that only plays the nickel.   

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray