Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 06:04:29 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Seahawks make history.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Seahawks make history.  (Read 5946 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: January 02, 2011, 11:34:43 pm »

The first losing franchise to go to the playoffs. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »

How funny would it be if they advance?

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:26 pm »

^^^ I will be rooting for them over the Saints next weekend. 

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:34:18 am »

It's pretty crazy that 2 teams in their conference had 3 more wins than they did.  That's substantial.  I think that this is an anomaly.  If it were to continue happening, the league would have to do something about it.  You can't have crap teams making the playoffs, while good teams miss out.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:19:11 am »

the biggest waste of a playoff spot ever.  The only way this is a good thing is if it gets that asshole Pete Carroll one more step into the hall of shame.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:56 am »

It's pretty crazy that 2 teams in their conference had 3 more wins than they did.  That's substantial.  I think that this is an anomaly.  If it were to continue happening, the league would have to do something about it.  You can't have crap teams making the playoffs, while good teams miss out.

I don't have problem with it.  Nor did I have a problem with the 8-8 Chargers hosting the 12-4 Colts (2nd best record in the NFL) while the 11-5 NEP sat it out (3 more wins than the Chargers)

Changing the system would make the divisional rivalries much less meaningful.  And the divisional rivalries are an important part of the fun.   

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:47 am »

I'm with Hoodie on this. I was rooting for the Seahawks just for the shear fun of watching the talking heads explode, but the bottom line is that if you want DIVISIONS to stay meaningful, division winners should not only make the playoffs, they should host in the WC round.

Right now, teams are proud of division titles. Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year, so it's not a realistic expectation / goal for most teams. Winning your division, however, is.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 09:43:28 am »

The only thing that bothers me about this is Pete. It really bothers me to se him accomplish anything. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »

I don't have problem with it.  Nor did I have a problem with the 8-8 Chargers hosting the 12-4 Colts (2nd best record in the NFL) while the 11-5 NEP sat it out (3 more wins than the Chargers)

Changing the system would make the divisional rivalries much less meaningful.  And the divisional rivalries are an important part of the fun.  

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it either, because I think it's a weird, rare case.  The salary cap helps with this, because teams get good or bad pretty quickly.  I could see where you might have dynasty situations otherwise, where a few good teams are in one division and one keeps getting screwed over and over.

Divisions make so many games more interesting and builds rivalries.  If that means that a 7-9 team makes the playoffs every 40 years, I'm okay with it.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:09:43 am »

ESPN had some guy saying in the offseason the NFL will be discussing going to only 2 divisions and having the playoff seeds based totally on record in the future.

Obviously with fewer division champs, stuff like this won't ever happen again.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:42:11 am »

ESPN had some guy saying in the offseason the NFL will be discussing going to only 2 divisions and having the playoff seeds based totally on record in the future.

If you want to increase the number of franchises, the current 2x4x4 alignment has to go. Personally, I really like it, but it does limit the league to 32 teams (great number).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

Yeah, they'll discuss it all right:

"Hey, do you think we should go to a 2-division format and wreck our perfectly formatted schedule?"
"No."
"OK, then."

bsfins
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:16:44 pm »

IMO "the guy" doesn't realize,it goes against one of the reasons for the current format,So you don't get "Well these teams have only played each other once in the past 10 years"....2 divisions means 16 out of the 18 game schedule goes to division games,that only leaves two "non divisional games"  and you go back to a long wait between playing every team in the league...

Fixed typo,made it tad bit more readable....for me atleast Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:38:36 pm by Lil B » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »

Personally I don't have a problem with Seattle being in the playoffs.  What I DO have a problem with is them hosting a playoff game.  There's a pretty simple solution that is a bit of a compromise.

Shuffle the playoff positions once you get the teams.  Best record is #1 seed, worst record is #6 seed.  That way Seattle is still in the playoffs, but they are headed to New Orleans rather than hosting the game.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:37:53 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »

^ I like it the way it is.

What's wrong with Seattle hosting a game?  They won their division.  It's pretty cut and dry.  If they're so bad, like everyone says, they'll lose anyway.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray