Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 06:06:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  TDMMC Fantasy Football
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: TDMMC Fantasy Football  (Read 15156 times)
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 07:22:14 pm »

I'm down with keeping it for bragging rights like always.  Even if I won, nobody around here would give a rat's ass about it.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »

did you get my invite yet, STL?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »

Yeah, thanks.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »

I'm down with keeping it for bragging rights like always.  Even if I won, nobody around here would give a rat's ass about it.
Ya, like nobody around here cares that I won it last year.  Speaking of which, to all the competition:  I'm better than you.  Nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo. Cheesy
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

WHOSE GONNA AIM FOR MY CROWN!  CAN'T WAIT!
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

By "around here" I meant where I live, but it applies to here on the board also.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:21 pm »

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:53 am »

Just to clarify - people play fantasy football across the country for thousands of dollars every year and no one goes to federal prison for it.

The difference between this and your chess tournament is that here, everyone would chip in $1 to buy a prize for the group, and the winner gets the prize. 

I'm pretty confident that you can't be put in federal prison for giving out a group-owned t-shirt as a prize at the end of a game.  But hey, I'm no expert...
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 09:54:52 am »

I'm pretty confident that you can't be put in federal prison for giving out a group-owned t-shirt as a prize at the end of a game.  But hey, I'm no expert...

I'm in multiple fantasy football/basketball/baseball leagues every season that either give out small prizes from a group pot, or cash that is collected from the league members. I've been doing those types of leagues for a verrrry long time. Nobody "ever" goes to prison/jail/the Gulag for awarding a prize in a fantasy football league.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 10:41:57 am »

My guess is that if the prize is substantial enough AND not partially funded by yourself, the IRS might wanna know about it.  So, having the winner fill out tax papers would be required.

However, I doubt the IRS cares about a t-shirt.

But, its your league, your world.
Landshark
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55:02 am »

no, there are legal complications with that.

I remember I went to a chess tournament where they guy paid out the winner without him filling out anything and he said he could have gone to federal prison for that.

I'm not going to federal prison.

Sorry guys, it's just for pride this year.

There was nothing wrong with winning that money.  The problem is, he needs to report that money to the IRS.  Granted, he doesn't have to fill out anything at that moment, but he must report it by the end of the year.  Unless he won a huge amount, he probably won't go to jail.  However, he could be looking at a major fine, plus interest and penalties if he failed to report it.

My guess is that if the prize is substantial enough AND not partially funded by yourself, the IRS might wanna know about it.  So, having the winner fill out tax papers would be required.

However, I doubt the IRS cares about a t-shirt.

But, its your league, your world.

You're right.  According to the IRS website, gambling winnings are fully taxable.   However,  I'm pretty sure the monetary value of a t-shirt is something the IRS won't pursue because it will cost them more to go through the legal process of recouping the interest and penalties from the value of the t-shirt than to just let it go.  They've got bigger fish to fry.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:13:09 pm by Landshark » Logged
bsfins
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »

Sure we do,rat's ass ok,possum,raccoon,small dog...You're pushing your luck.... Cheesy Wink
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »

B, are you in?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »

Anybody who is in, PM me your email address

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »

To clarify it was not the winner the TD (tournament director) said could go to federal prison.  It was the TD himself he was referring to.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray