Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 07:40:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Lions might be the most hated team in the NFL right now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Lions might be the most hated team in the NFL right now  (Read 9095 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: November 03, 2011, 07:01:34 am »

You got Suh mocking Matt Ryan's injury
You got Tulloch mocking Tebow's religion after a sack
You got Schwartz yelling/cursing across the field during games at opposing coaches
You got Schwartz running after Harbaugh trying to start something
You have Lions fans protesting the band Nickleback playing at halftime on Thanksgiving
You got Suh and all of his dirty plays

This team/franchise has gone from the feel good story to the most hated NFL team overnight. A franchise that has had about 6 good weeks in 30 years acting like this is a joke. GB can't beat them by enough on Thanksgiving in my opinion.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:48 am »

Detroit wouldn't even crack my top-10 most hated football teams now... I think that 5 of the 6 points you make there are non-issues, and my favorite team was on the receiving end of two of them. Only the questionable dirty hits by Suh are a real gripe.

Detroit is a hated franchise because fans are protesting a band playing at halftime? That's fucking hilarious... If you dig a bit into that story, you'll see that every blog post/report about this all stems from one source, a guy who writes under the pen name of "The Last Angry Fan." If Jesus brought a troupe of angels down from Heaven to serenade the crowd with golden harps, that dude would scream that he wanted the devil instead.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:14:57 am »

For me, Detroit still is a feel good story and I would be happy to see them win it all this year.  Like Stroke, I only have a problem with Suh's late hits.  As for the Tebow mocking, I think you are off base if you think this is about making fun of his religion.....it's about making fun of Tebow and all the hype he gets. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:17:52 am »

Suh is an ass, but he met with Goodell recently and at least on face value is appearing to change his tactics some. I don't think Tulloch's move was mocking religion, it was mocking Tebow. The two can be exclusive (although it seems no one can discuss Tebow without some mention of his religious zealotry).

The protesting of Nickleback, hell I might join up for that.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:34 am »

I don't see all the hatred for the Lions either but I have to disagree with Jim about the religion thing. People can't make fun of Tebow praying and say it's not about his religion.  They can bow down to him or mockingly wave their hands at him to make fun of his outragous "worshipping" by his fans but to immitate his obvious act of "worship" is a direct attack against his religion and the relationship he has with his God. That directly is his personal act of worship. Why not just pull out a Bible and pretend to pee on it and then say that's not about his religion either? It's about his fans worshipping him?

I get all the resentment for him being so popular for accomplishing absolutely nothing in the NFL but that certainly isn't where all the mocking comes from. Do you not think if he was Muslim or Hindu etc. there would be a huge outrage?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:45:11 am »

...Why not just pull out a Bible and pretend to pee on it and then say that's not about his religion either?

As extreme and ridiculous an example as I've ever seen from you.

By your non-logic, every time I offer up a salute to one of my coworkers, I am mocking the patriotism of every US serviceman, and I may as well pull out an American flag and piss on it.

See, if I try really hard, I can be that ridiculous as well...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:53 am »

^^^^^ I see what you are saying CF (except for the bible analogy), but I still think making that pose over Tebow had nothing to do with mocking his religion.  I'm sure that both players involved are Christians who pray before and after the game.  No player would openly mock Christianity.  It would be foolish and career limiting.  The NFL is about making money.  Alienating the majority of your fan base is not good business.  I guarantee you that the NFL would step in if any player were seen to openly mock any religion.  

When players or teams have a ritual pose they make after making a play, it's not uncommon to have the opposing team use that same pose to make fun of them when they fail to make a play.  Here's a comment from both players involved

From Tebow - "He was just celebrating, having fun with his teammates and I don't take offense to that,"

From Tulloch - "just trying to have some fun" and meant "no disrespect" when he mimicked it following a sack. Tebow, in fact, approached Tulloch after the game and wished him luck this season. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:06:18 am by Jim Gray » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:43:07 am »

People can't make fun of Tebow praying and say it's not about his religion.  

I don't think he was making fun of his religion, it was just showing a complete lack of CLASS.  All to common in the NFL.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »

^^This.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

Is it a complete lack of class to mimic Aaron Rodgers' "belt" move when a defensive player sacks Rodgers? Is it a complete lack of class when one player mimics another player's touchdown dance?

Or is it just classless when there's a religious theme involved?

~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:53 pm »

I agree that Tebow's mockery is NOT about religion.  That move is what Tebow does, they're mocking that move.  If someone were to mock JT's "heartbreaker" thing, it'd be the same.   ...or the mile-high salute, or the Lambeau leap, or whatever else.

I drink your milkshake!
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 01:52:38 pm »

This is hard time in our nation.  The fans in Detroit and those watching at home on Thanksgiving have been through too much to allow Nickleback to play at halftime.   Tongue
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:13 pm »

Is it a complete lack of class to mimic Aaron Rodgers' "belt" move when a defensive player sacks Rodgers?
Yes. Just as it's a lack of class when Rodgers does his "belt" move in the first place. I love the insurance commerical that makes fun of this and I give Rodgers props for at least being able to poke fun at himself.

Is it a complete lack of class when one player mimics another player's touchdown dance?
Yes, just as the touchdown dance itself is classless. Just spike the damn ball and quit trying to be different.

Or is it just classless when there's a religious theme involved?
No. I'm old school. I long for the days when players didn't try to come up with a "signature" move, they just did something that came natural to them or was accepted, like a touchdown spike. You can't tell me that Rodger's "belt" move just comes naturally to him. But on the other hand I accept the fact that it's what they do in the NFL now and I also accept the fact that the opposing player is gonna try to outdo him. Yes, it's a lack of class. Sorry, that's just me, I'm old and stuck in my ways.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:30:33 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:00 pm »

^^^ I know people so old they think the spike is classless. You just haven't gotten to that level of grumpiness yet.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:29:51 pm »

^^ Good to know.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray