Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 07:44:58 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Lions might be the most hated team in the NFL right now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Lions might be the most hated team in the NFL right now  (Read 9099 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »

^^^ I know people so old they think the spike is classless. You just haven't gotten to that level of grumpiness yet.

Well I guess I'm in the same boat.  IMO at some point things became less about a "celebration" or an entertaining moment, to an egotistical "hey look at me".  Nothing annoys me worse than to see a defensive player jumping around after making a tackle when his team is down 20 points and he's been getting beat all day long.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »

It may not be meant to mock his religion but I'd argue that if you are mocking his "act of worship" then you are directly mocking his religion. Intent really doesn't matter as every good ACLU fighter will tell you.

Again, if Ahmad Brooks had something he did to honor Allah everytime he got a sack and then Jake Long mocked it then it would be perceived as a personal attack against his religion and not him.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

If he was mocking poses that Tebow strikes while at church, then I'd buy that whole "act of worship" ploy...but he isn't. Tulloch was mocking Tebow's "act of celebration."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »

Nothing annoys me worse than to see a defensive player jumping around after making a tackle when his team is down 20 points and he's been getting beat all day long.

That bothers me to, but in a back and forth battle or in the case of leading the game I don't mind some enthusiasm.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:57:33 pm »

It may not be meant to mock his religion but I'd argue that if you are mocking his "act of worship" then you are directly mocking his religion. Intent really doesn't matter as every good ACLU fighter will tell you.

Again, if Ahmad Brooks had something he did to honor Allah everytime he got a sack and then Jake Long mocked it then it would be perceived as a personal attack against his religion and not him.
CF,

Should the NFL simply prohibit all players from "giving thanks" on the field?
Should they determine, case-by-case, which ones are sincere and which ones are "obviously" insincere?
Or should there just be a rule that no one else is allowed to use the particular method of prayer that Tebow does?

You are opening an ugly can of worms.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »

Pretty easy to discern mocking though I couldn't care less what the NFL recognizes. The fact remains he was mocked because of his "worship" or "giving thanks" ... which is an act of worship for the semantic lovers. It's not an act of celebration. I also don't care that Tebow is mocked ... For a reason most wouldn't understand.... All I'm saying is there is a double standard in society against Christians and the public.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »

exactly
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

Pretty easy to discern mocking though I couldn't care less what the NFL recognizes. The fact remains he was mocked because of his "worship" or "giving thanks" ... which is an act of worship for the semantic lovers.
Yes, he was mocked because of the... conspicuousness... of his particular choices of time and place to give thanks.  I find it strange that you seem to think it's somehow explicitly anti-Christian, as if a Buddhist would never drop to one knee to pray or a Muslim would never point at the sky.

If Tebow was a Jew and carried himself in exactly the same fashion, do you think the response would be any different?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:50:16 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 06:15:29 am »

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/low_blows_on_tebow_effkuiTBivtro7ZPZSVilJ/0
Garrett

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:03 pm »

It's not classless to mock someone's religion. It doesn't matter how "intelligent" you are, if you believe in God, Santa, or the Easter Bunny, you're technically retarded. You deserve to be mocked.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:11 pm »

It's not classless to mock someone's religion. It doesn't matter how "intelligent" you are, if you believe in God, Santa, or the Easter Bunny, you're technically retarded. You deserve to be mocked.

Insulting the general population of the world that believe in some sort of religion.  Way to go winner!  Take your opinions on religion to the off topic section buddy. 
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »

Yes. Just as it's a lack of class when Rodgers does his "belt" move in the first place. I love the insurance commerical that makes fun of this and I give Rodgers props for at least being able to poke fun at himself.
Yes, just as the touchdown dance itself is classless. Just spike the damn ball and quit trying to be different.
No. I'm old school. I long for the days when players didn't try to come up with a "signature" move, they just did something that came natural to them or was accepted, like a touchdown spike. You can't tell me that Rodger's "belt" move just comes naturally to him. But on the other hand I accept the fact that it's what they do in the NFL now and I also accept the fact that the opposing player is gonna try to outdo him. Yes, it's a lack of class. Sorry, that's just me, I'm old and stuck in my ways.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

Wow. I'm not religious but that's a stupid comment. If only there was a mute button.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »

How are you technically retarded? I believe in the Easter Bunny, so you may have to explain it to me in a way a techincally retarded person can understand, but I just HAVE to ask about your narrow-minded logic here. -EK
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 11:37:12 am »

I don't believe that religion deserves any more protection from open mockery than any other unfounded belief, like ghosts or bigfoot.  People are free to believe it, but I think that others are free to ridicule it.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray