Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 05:59:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?  (Read 21147 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

I know it won't cure all ills and it isn't like one discussion would do it either. It is more complex than that and revolves more around how the kids are raised their entire lives. Parents don't sit down and have these types of discussions nearly enough. In fact many parents I know don;t even try to be role models themselves.

In combination and over a period of time it will help to create a mindset. That is more what I'm trying to say. Some will listen, some won't Some will understand, some won't. Kids can still admire their these athletes and entertainers talents. They can act like them on the playground or in front of a mirror. They need to understand that these talents don't make them role models though.

I agree with that.  But given that entertainers ARE role models and that is unlikely to change.  My question is who amoung them are better role models, given all the hate against Tebow for his actions. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:00:45 pm »

I'd say it is hard to find one better. Tebow is one of the few examples of an athlete I think people should consider as a role model. Limiting the universe of selection to athletes though makes it a rather short list of possible choices though.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »

EK, your multi-page-long quote of one Tebow press conference would be an awesome retort if I had said, "I really disliked how many times Tebow referred to Jesus in the Chicago post-game press conference."  And as far as his fans go, that's the point: that is an off-the-field factor that contributed to his success, not unlike if he happened to be Phil Simms' son or came from a rich family.

I think my citation of Warner is valid as someone who works through adversity and pulls himself up by his bootstraps.  But maybe I misunderstood the question: if we are just asking, "Who is the best model citizen that happens to be employed as a pro athlete?", ability be damned, I'd say the reigning Walter Payton Man Of The Year (Madieu Williams of the 49ers) is a good choice.  I'm sure there are similar humanitarian awards for other pro sports leagues.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:01 pm »

Warner brought it up all the time.  The first thing out of his mouth, post game, every time, was to thank his personal Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I guess memories are short around here.

Anyone ever watch a Nascar race?  These guys win and they rattle off "I'd like to thank.." and then go on a 3 minute shopping list of all their sponsors.  Somehow that doesn't bother people as much as the thanking Jesus stuff does.  I guess as long as you're thinking Home Depot, Dr. Pepper and Quickie Lube it's okay.

Personally, I tune it all out.  I don't care what any of these guys have to say.  I just want to watch them play.

The truth is when Tebow thanks Jesus it makes people feel uncomfortable. That isn't Tebow's fault but those upset act like it is. If he was thanking Gatoraide and doing the Gatoraide boogie in times of "rally" or thanks then it would be a funny non isssue.  

My opinon is this. If people really didn't care about Jesus as much as they say they don't it would be a non issue. The fact is the mere mention of his name helps people to see thir own faults and that is uncomfortable to them.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 03:06:01 pm »

/Thread. -EK
tubba marxxx
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

Larry Fitzgerald
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »

A Jewish person (Hoodie) considers Tebow a great role model. I think that speaks volumes about him as a person.  I do realize I align with him as a Christian but seriously, who would you rather have your daughter date?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »

The truth is when Tebow thanks Jesus it makes people feel uncomfortable. That isn't Tebow's fault but those upset act like it is.
As was pointed out elsewhere, if Tebow was making it a point to repeatedly thank his (hypothetical) wife and proclaim how much he loves her and is devoted to her, the reaction would be pretty damned similar; see Doug Christie as an example.

If he was thanking Gatoraide and doing the Gatoraide boogie in times of "rally" or thanks then it would be a funny non isssue.
That's because people understand that when you thank a sponsor or promote a product, you are doing so in a professional capacity (read: you are making money).

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 03:14:51 pm »

As was pointed out elsewhere, if Tebow was making it a point to repeatedly thank his (hypothetical) wife and proclaim how much he loves her and is devoted to her, the reaction would be pretty damned similar; see Doug Christie as an example.

How is he "repeatedly" doing it? As per YOUR example, Warner did it just as much, which has been pointed out already. I already posted an example of a press conference in which he DOESN'T do what you're accusing him of. -EK
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »

How is he "repeatedly" doing it?
Ever heard of the "Tebow Rule"?

Oh, yeah, and the whole Tebowing thing.

As far as Warner goes, um, yeah, he took the same heat for his Jesus praising.  So what?  But he wasn't being propped up because of his beliefs, which is more than I can say for Tebow.

I already posted an example of a press conference in which he DOESN'T do what you're accusing him of.
That's great.  Say, if I show a clip in which Michael Vick does not drown a dog he was using for pitfighting, does that prove he's never done it?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:34:45 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:10 pm »

A ha ha ha ha ha! Seriously? You posted pics of him in college to prove a point about how he is a role model as a professional? Tebowing? He's a bad role model because of Tebowing? Guess you must've REALLY hated the Ickey Shuffle. And I would rather not take up the whole thread with every press conference he doesn't do it in. If he's SOOOOOOOO pro-religion, I shouldn't have been able to find that one as the very first one I clicked on. What's really your beef with this guy? Did he steal your gf? Beat you up in middle school? I mean seriously, I get if you dislike his fans for their blind adoration or whatever you think of it as, but what did he ever do to you personally to cause such hate? -EK
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »

Yes, I posted evidence of him publicly referencing his religion (repeatedly) to prove that he has publicly referenced his religion (repeatedly).  BTW, you know messages on eye black were already banned in the NFL, right?  So it's not like he's given up the ghost voluntarily on that one.

I mean, all you have to do is ask Tebow what he thinks on the subject of his publicly displayed faith (emphasis added):

"If you're married, and you have a wife, and you really love your wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife 'I love her' the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and every opportunity?

"And that's how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ is that it is the most important thing in my life. So any time I get an opportunity to tell him that I love him or given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I'm gonna take that opportunity. And so I look at it as a relationship that I have with him that I want to give him the honor and glory anytime I have the opportunity. And then right after I give him the honor and glory, I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory.

"And that's how it works because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates. I respect Jake's opinion, and I really appreciate his compliment of calling me a winner. But I feel like anytime I get the opportunity to give the Lord some praise, he is due for it."

So don't take it up with me, take it up with him.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 03:52:43 pm »

Sorry, explain to me again how that's wrong? How that makes him a poor role model? Among his peers who shoot themselves in the leg, rape 16 year old girls, get busted for drug possession, go to jail for killing someone while DUI, run dog-fighting rings, cheat on their spouses, and get popped for failed PED tests, you find HIS behavior regarding religion to be the most acrimonious? Am I the only one here who sees a problem with this equation? -EK
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »

Am I the only one here who sees a problem with this equation? -EK
Nope. But you do know what they say about arguing with crazy people?  Wink Cheesy

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »

Sorry, explain to me again how that's wrong? How that makes him a poor role model?
When did I say that makes him a poor role model?  I said I thought Kurt Warner (who is also a Soldier of Christ!) was a better role model and your first response was a novel.

I can't tell if you are rabidly defending Tebow because you are also on Team Jesus or if you are just another UF alum.  I specifically chose Warner as my example to ward off the former, so my guess is the latter.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:02:07 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray