Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 06:29:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: If you don't like Tim Tebow as a person....who is the ideal sports role model?  (Read 21160 times)
shamrock

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 01:06:12 pm »

I don't know if there is such a thing as an ideal sports role model,but I gotta say I think Aaron Rodgers is a class guy.He patiently waited his turn and kept his mouth shut during the Favre debacle in Green Bay,made the most of it when he got his shot(understatement),and I like the way he carries himself on and off the field.Rodgers is also a christian,and recently,when asked about all the Tebow craze and how he deals with his own personal faith,he referrenced the famous quote from St. Francis of Assisi,"preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words". nice.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »

EKnight, this may be hard to understand, but when you are saying that one thing is better than another, it is common to compare and contrast the two things you are evaluating.

So yes, every "attack" I have made on Tebow is for the purposes of showing that Warner has been a better role model, in the sense of working your way up from the bottom instead of having things handed to you.  If explaining all the advantages that Tebow has been given (and Warner has not) is upsetting to you... well, that's too bad.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 01:43:16 pm »

There are quite a lot of people who only listen to Christian music.

Yeah, that's weird.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »

I don't know if there is such a thing as an ideal sports role model,

Every "sports role model" debate begins and ends with Pat Tillman. There are a lot of good guys in sports, Rodgers as you mentioned is one no doubt.

But "role model"...Pat Tillman. Until someone can give me another that surpasses him, he holds the #1 spot probably forever!
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »

Every "sports role model" debate begins and ends with Pat Tillman. There are a lot of good guys in sports, Rodgers as you mentioned is one no doubt.

But "role model"...Pat Tillman. Until someone can give me another that surpasses him, he holds the #1 spot probably forever!

HM to Larry Fitzgerald

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 08:40:52 pm »

Tillman was an atheist, though, which automatically disqualifies him from many people's lists as a role model.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »

Tillman was an atheist, though, which automatically disqualifies him from many people's lists as a role model.

I wouldn't see it as an automatic disqualification.  It would make me look more closely at what a guy does in his spare time.  For example, does he give a lot of his money away to charity?  Does he do things in the community (not the nfl sponsored shit, but did he show up at a soup kitchen every week or drop a hundred grand on some poor widow's doorstep)  Things like that.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:07 pm »

He gave up and walked away from millions of dollars and an easy life and gave his life fighting for this country overseas. What does one's religion have to do with being a role model? It wasn't like the guy was preaching the word of Satan to kids in school yard.

I don't care what his religion (or non religion) is, the guy is a role model.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »

It's not even that I don't like Tim Tebow.  Even as a devout Baptist and former devout Catholic and 12 years of religious studies I don't get the guy.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

I don't care what his religion (or non religion) is, the guy is a role model.

I'm not saying that he's not.  I'm just telling you that much of the country would think he's not.  Atheists are the country's least trusted demographic.

I drink your milkshake!
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »

^^ This could potentially open up the biggest double standard argument ever

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 01:19:01 am »

I'm not saying that he's not.  I'm just telling you that much of the country would think he's not.  Atheists are the country's least trusted demographic.

Considering we have only elected "people with religion" I find this statement truly hilarious.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:53 am »

Dave's statement is 100% true.  The gays, the Muslims, the immigrants... all of them poll higher than atheists.

Thus, it is not surprising that Pat Tillman's family was attacked by an Army officer for their lack of belief.  This is also the reason why many conservatives reject the idea that Tillman was an atheist.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2011, 07:55:33 am »

Yeah, that's weird.
Being a geek is weird to most people too. Wierd is obviously a perspective thing. Listening to Christian music is no different than listening to classical or punk. It's a preference.

BTW ... I think the average person would say Tillman is a good role model. Regardless of his faith he chose to put money on hold to go and fight for this country.  If that's not someone to look up to in this country that was founded by men and women just like him then I don't understand the term "role model".

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2011, 08:55:21 am »

Anyone who is a pacifist, did not believe in the war, or who believes human life is sacred and looking up to people whose job it is to take that life would have a hard time with the Tillman argument. -EK
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray