Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 04:54:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Evidence that preseason record does not matter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Evidence that preseason record does not matter  (Read 2103 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: August 31, 2012, 01:47:35 am »

The AFC East finished 1-15 in preseason play (NE got the lone win against NO, 7-6).
The AFC South finished 11-5 in preseason play.

Anyone think the AFC South will finish 10 games ahead of the AFC East in regular season standings?

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:57 am »

Not really news is it? Of course record doesn't matter- but no one said it did. Quality of play on the field absolutely does matter. A preseason filled with wins against back-ups because your starters stunk creates a record that is misleading- but the play on the field tells you what you need to know. The fact that the records is meaningless isn't exactly breaking news. That's why it's called preseason. -EK
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:52:24 am by EKnight » Logged
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:26 am »

Not really news is it? Of course record doesn't matter- but no one said it did. Quality of play on the field absolutely does matter. A preseason filled with wins against back-ups because your starters stunk creates a record that is misleading- but the play on the field tells you what you need to know. The fact that the records is meaningless isn't exactly breaking news. That's why it's called preseason. -EK

Exactly.  You're not looking at the scoreboard.  You're looking at the quality of play and for guys who make plays (or fail to do so).
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:04:34 am »

None of it matters. Records, quality of play....none of it! Most vets go half speed in these games. 

The 0-16 Lions, that year they were 4-0 in the preseason and their "quality of play" on the field that preseason was excellent. They looked like a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball. Go back and look if you think I am making that up! You cannot read anything in these preseason games. Scores, quality of play. Nothing!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:12:58 am by MikeO » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:25:49 am »

Eh. I'll be happy when they move the regular season to 18 and drop 2 of the preseason fiascos. -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:11 am »

Eh. I'll be happy when they move the regular season to 18 and drop 2 of the preseason fiascos. -EK

That we agree on! It is coming too. Might be in a few years but it is coming.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:40 am »

If i'm not mistaken weren't the 17-1 Patriots 0-4 in preseason?
Landshark
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:39:36 am »

None of it matters. Records, quality of play....none of it! Most vets go half speed in these games. 

The vets tgat are making millions and assured to start go half speed.  The bubble players go all out.  That's what these games are for, to evaluate the bubble players.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:11 am »

The vets tgat are making millions and assured to start go half speed.  The bubble players go all out.  That's what these games are for, to evaluate the bubble players.

bubble players who are cut by week 1 or aren't playing week 1 because they are buried on the depth chart.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:09 am »

If i'm not mistaken weren't the 17-1 Patriots 0-4 in preseason?
2-2 but the 1972 Fins were 3-3 (yes they used to play 6 preseason games)
Landshark
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »

bubble players who are cut by week 1 or aren't playing week 1 because they are buried on the depth chart.

Being buried on the depth chart isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're a bubble player.  It means you MADE THE TEAM.  It means you get PAID.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:22 pm »

Being buried on the depth chart isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're a bubble player.  It means you MADE THE TEAM.  It means you get PAID.

never said it was bad. Just don't care if those guys WIN the games in presason because when the games really count they don't play
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray