Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 08, 2024, 12:32:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?  (Read 32429 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: December 06, 2012, 06:58:23 pm »

I don't think there is anything concrete as of now, but certainly an idea that is being discussed. Doesn't really seem like a good idea to me but others may like it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8720551/roger-goodell-floats-idea-end-kickoffs-report-says

Commissioner Roger Goodell recently discussed a proposal to eliminate kickoffs with Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, Time magazine reported.

More telling than the NFL's PR hocus-pocus of health and safety ads are the numbers on weight, the injuries and the PED suspensions, writes Howard Bryant. Story

Goodell and McKay discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if it failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

"The fact is, it's a much different end of the play," Goodell said during the meeting, according to Time.

Schiano discussed his idea earlier this season in an ESPN The Magazine story.  Schiano, who was the coach at Rutgers in 2010 when Eric LeGrand was paralyzed on a kickoff, has seen first-hand how the play can adversely affect the safety of players.

LeGrand broke two vertebrae and suffered a serious spinal cord injury in October 2010 during a kickoff return against Army. He became an inspiration to his college teammates, eventually being able to stand upright with the help of a metal frame.

Schiano told ESPN The Magazine in September that he believed kickoffs eventually would be eliminated from pro football.

"I believe that day will come," he said. "Unfortunately, it will probably take more players being seriously hurt. But I think there's another way to do this."

The NFL already has been working to make kickoffs safer.

Last season, the NFL moved kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35 and required the coverage unit to start within 5 yards of the ball, closing the distance between the teams. Both rules had their desired effects. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, 16.4 percent of kickoffs led to touchbacks in 2010; last year it was 43.5 percent. The NFL found that players suffered 40 percent fewer concussions on kickoffs in 2011, McKay told ESPN The Magazine.

"I see where they are coming from as far as trying to look for different ways to make the sport a little safer," Chicago Bears punter Adam Podlesh said Thursday. "Do I think that is going to make it safer or are kickoffs the worst part of the game right now? I would be skeptical on that right now, especially considering they moved it up to the 35-yard line and you see so many fewer returns now.

"You take a look at the touchback percentages now and that's gone up so much and they got rid of the three-man plus wedge and leaving it to a tandem of two guys that can only come together. Maybe doing something with that or even eliminating the two-man tandem might help a little more."

Schiano's plan, however, would eliminate kickoffs altogether. Goodell admitted to Time magazine that the proposal is "an off-the-wall idea."

"It's different and makes you think differently. It did me," Goodell said.

Bears kicker Robbie Gould said the proposed changes would impact teams' strategies.

"You're talking about starting off a game with a punt, not that there is anything bad about that, but if you have a strategy in getting the ball because you have a really good kick return team, now you are taking that out of the equation," Gould said. "You're talking about a whole different type of football game. You're talking about returners meaning more and less, punters are going to mean more and less, kickers are going to mean more and less.

"So the value of a player is going to go down drastically and the overall game will decrease if they change the kickoff rule to what they are thinking of."

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Jones, ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:36 pm »

Devin Hester's agent is firmly against it...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:23 pm »

Devin Hester's agent is firmly against it...

Marcus Thigpen's agent should be too.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »

Soon: the NFFL ( National Flag Football League)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:16 pm »

I heard about this today, and was going to post it but couldn't find the article.

I am pretty against this, but I think it could add another element to the game.  I see the plus and minus, but I think kickoffs are fine as they are.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »

This confirms every suspicion I've ever had about Roger Goodell. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:27:40 am »

Interesting the idea comes from Schiano, isn't he the guy who has his players charge the line on an end of game kneel down?
Landshark
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:07 am »

I've always wondered, why are kickoffs considered to be unsafe and punts are not?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 07:39:14 am »

I've always wondered, why are kickoffs considered to be unsafe and punts are not?
Hang Time

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:33 am »

It's an interesting idea, high-risk heigh-reward (a form of make-it-take-it in basketball), but it just rubs you the wrong way in that they're turning the NFL into a non-contact league. Just upsetting.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:10 am »

It's not going to happen. I think is all talk but with the amount of touchbacks now by moving the kickoff up 5 yards the risk has been reduced greatly I don't see them doing something drastic like this
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 10:13:19 am »

I get both sides of the argument. As a fan, kickoffs add a fun aspect, but as we see more and more retired players now "coming out" as it were about conclusions and post-concussion brain issues, I would not be opposed to it. How many concussion related suicides could be prevented? The image of Seau's family on the news after his death is a haunting one and one I could so without. Of course concussions, and safety in general, ate not limited to kickoff returns, but if there is evidence eliminating them would improve player safety, it should be considered seriously. -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 11:37:42 am »

Have you noticed the number of concussions players are getting this season as compared to many in the past?  I don't see many of them coming on kickoffs, though.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:35 am »

How would it affect onside kicks??
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

File under the heading "When sarcasim becomes reality."

Belichick proposed something very similiar when the NFL moved kick off location, on the basis that there really is no point in even running the kickoff play if a touchback is almost automatic.  I believe at the time he wasn't actually proposing getting rid of kickoffs but pointing out the new rule made the kickoff pretty meaningless.     

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray