Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 08, 2024, 12:18:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?  (Read 32428 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

The reason I bring that up, is that if you recover an onside kick the clock stops. At the same time the clock wouldn't start on an onside kick until the opposing team touches the ball. In this hypothetical 4& 15, the clock should also stop on a conversion. Otherwise, the offense would be penalized for converting what would have been an onside kick.

Pretty minor detail, which I doubt has been decided yet.

If it was up to me.  Clock starts when the ball is snapped, stops when the ball becomes a dead ball. Just like in a punt. And if you convert and stay inbounds, the clock keeps running.   

Yes, it does mean you lose time that you wouldn't in an onside kick, but I don't see that as a huge deal.

I would go so far as to say, if you got a good tail wind and a kicker with a strong leg....you can even try for a miracle field goal.

It is 4th and 15 on your own 30.  Do what ever the heck you want --  Punt, throw, run.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
el diablo
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

Would be gutsy but I could see it.

Down by a TD or less.  2:15 seconds left on the clock all three time outs.  Lineup like you are going to punt and then try to stop the other team and force them to punt.  Instead covert on 4th and keep your drive alive. 
[qoute]

From my understanding, it was an either or situation with the punt/4th & 15 situation. In that it wouldn't be an automatic 4th & 15. Its not about keeping a drive alive, you already scored. There's a reason why the proposal was for 4th & 15, as opposed to 4th & 5.
el diablo
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »

Pretty minor detail, which I doubt has been decided yet.

If it was up to me.  Clock starts when the ball is snapped, stops when the ball becomes a dead ball. Just like in a punt. And if you convert and stay inbounds, the clock keeps running.   

Yes, it does mean you lose time that you wouldn't in an onside kick, but I don't see that as a huge deal.

I would go so far as to say, if you got a good tail wind and a kicker with a strong leg....you can even try for a miracle field goal.

It is 4th and 15 on your own 30.  Do what ever the heck you want --  Punt, throw, run.   

Its a minor detail with huge ramifications. You have to look at what the play is replacing. The onside kick. Its essentially the same thing with a change in possession. You're already taking a risk by going for the 4th & 15. Why be penalized for success?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:02 pm »

The play that is being replaced is 4th and 15 from your 30 instead of  a free kick from your 35.  The onside kick per se is not being replaced.  The onside kick is on option of a free kick.  Going for it is one option of 4th and 15.  The most common option today is kick it away deep, the most common option if this changes will be a punt.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »

Because the kicking team would already have the option to "go for it" with the 4th & 15 option. Nobody would run a fake punt on 4th & 15 from their own 30.
Why not? They do onsides kicks from their own 35. I think the odds of making it would be about the same.

Regular punts aren't penalized for going out of bounds. These punts shouldn't be either.
This isn't exactly a regular punt is it? I want the play to be more exciting than the kickoff is now. Anything that takes away from that excitement should be eliminated, like being able to kick it out of bounds. You can of course, but it should have a severe negative component just like kickoffs do.

From the 30, you're already giving up field position with a punt.
I'm not so sure about that, but you can always move it up to the 35 if the 30 doesn't turn out to be a good spot of the ball. However you do it, the whole purpose for me is to make it a more exciting play than the kickoff is.

So why shouldn't the kicking team have the option to kick out of bounds?
Because I want to give the kick returner as much chance as possible to return it.

Especially if the two teams are lined up normally. The would be facing a potential block or snap mishap. Again, that's if the are lined up normally, with the receiving team on the line of scrimmage. If its a free kick, then fuck it.
I'm not looking to make it fair, I'm looking to make it exciting. Kickoffs are boring. Punts from about your own 30 are usually pretty fun to watch. If you are going to change the rules, then do it right. Go ALL out. Don't just make it as close to a kickoff as you can without being a kickoff, that's stupid. Make it a whole new play. A whole new set of rules to go with it. It's not a punt and it's not a kickoff, it's a new way to start the game, start the half and start a new possession after a score. Think outside the box. That's what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:24:15 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »

Imagine a team like the '01 Rams or '07 Patriots in this system.  You keep the ball after you score.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »

Imagine a team like the '01 Rams or '07 Patriots in this system.  You keep the ball after you score.

Or draft Austin Rehkow and just keeping FG after FG. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray