Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:28:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Goodall to look at eliminating kickoffs?  (Read 32635 times)
bsfins
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »

I think I see why he's coming out on this..

I think this is much like the tobacco companies,trying to say,smoking isn't bad for you.(with mountains of information saying otherwise).Then getting sued by everyone under the sun.I think the concussion repercussions,post football is getting a lot of bad publicity with former football players coming down with Lou Gehrig's disease, killing themselves,just coming out talking about post concussion problems..So I think this is partially to thwart huge lawsuits,in the coming years...

Also,He been pushing for 18 game schedules,less preseason,etc,etc...It gives the league an argument of,look we're trying to make the safer,We care about you guys...Safer game,Ok to play 18 game schedule..

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 01:03:25 pm »

Upon further thinking.  I actually like this idea.  And not because of injury but it would make the game more fun.

What is happening is replace a kickoff -- which is almost always a touchback or fair catch.  With punt, which more often gets returned or you have the kicking team trying to prevent from going into the endzone. 

Also I think watching the 4th and 15 attempt would be more exciting than an onside kick.  (My team has a QB for which this is not a mere impossible dream)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »

It's not going to happen. I think is all talk but with the amount of touchbacks now by moving the kickoff up 5 yards the risk has been reduced greatly I don't see them doing something drastic like this
Lets assume for a moment that the league is not going to move the kickoff spot back to the 30. Which would you rather see, a punt or a kickoff? I mean most kickoff's now sail into the endzone if not through the endzone and don't get returned at all, that's pretty boring. A punt from the 30 probably would be returned or perhaps fair caught, but returned more often than not. Personally I'd rather see a punt return than a touchback. Heck even a fair catch is more interesting than it going through the endzone, the returner doesn't even have to touch the ball, at least with a fair catch he has to field it cleanly.

Yes, it devalues the kicker and the kick returner, but it actually increases the value of the punter and punt returner and a lot of times the return person is the same for kickoffs and punts, so it's a wash in my humble opinion. The kicker would still be needed for FG's and extra points so it's not like that person would be going away. The same is true for the kick team, they would most just all move to the punt team which is probably true already.

I also think that being able to run a play in a 4th and 15 type of situation is MUCH better than the stupid onsides kick stuff that happens now.

Personally, I like the idea, but what do I know.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 01:14:36 pm »

Upon further thinking.  I actually like this idea.  And not because of injury but it would make the game more fun.

What is happening is replace a kickoff -- which is almost always a touchback or fair catch.  With punt, which more often gets returned or you have the kicking team trying to prevent from going into the endzone. 

Also I think watching the 4th and 15 attempt would be more exciting than an onside kick.  (My team has a QB for which this is not a mere impossible dream)
LOL. My thoughts almost exactly.

badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:32 pm »

Keep the kickoff but give the kicking team the option of the 4th and 15 to keep the ball. On an off note, I always kind of wondered why kickers didn't learn to punt. They could pull double duty and open up a spot. Unless there is a rule against that or something, it seems like the logical thing to consolidate those 2 positions.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »

Unless there is a rule against that or something, it seems like the logical thing to consolidate those 2 positions.

Two reason as I understand it:

1. The two kicks are so different that practicing one hurts the other.  Much the same way some people say that swinging a baseball bat screws up their golf swing.

2.  The punter is typically the back up kicker and the kicker is the back up punter.  If you had one guy who was both the punter and kicker you would still need a second guy to be the backup punter and kicker. 

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »

Keep the kickoff but give the kicking team the option of the 4th and 15 to keep the ball. On an off note, I always kind of wondered why kickers didn't learn to punt. They could pull double duty and open up a spot. Unless there is a rule against that or something, it seems like the logical thing to consolidate those 2 positions.

There have been a few who've pulled double duty... but it seems like the punter handles kickoffs and maybe long field goals, whereas (short) field goals are handled by an experience (old) kicker. Michael Koenen (formerly of the Falcons, now with the Bucs) and Matt Bosher (Falcons) spring to mind. Odd that they would both be with the Falcons, a team who's games I almost never see.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »

I was not a fan of moving the kickoffs up and I am even less of a fan of this idea. I enjoy the kickoffs and it is part of the game. Most of the guys stepping forward with health issues from the game aren't special teamers anyways. You are more likely to get hurt during the normal flow of the game.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:14 am »

I was not a fan of moving the kickoffs up and I am even less of a fan of this idea. I enjoy the kickoffs and it is part of the game. Most of the guys stepping forward with health issues from the game aren't special teamers anyways. You are more likely to get hurt during the normal flow of the game.

Not true. While the difference isn't that high, stats show injuries are MORE likely to happen on kickoffs than on FGs, passing plays, punts, or runs.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2011/09/will-new-kickoff-rules-really-reduce.html

-EK
el diablo
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 10:06:21 am »

Here's a question. During this "punt off", are the teams going to be lined up for a normal punt or in a free punt formation? If they are lined up normal, this adds a brand new dynamic to the game. The opportunity for a blocked punt.

Another question. Lets say you go for the 4th & 15. Does the clock start at the snap? Does it stop after the conclusion of the play as if it was a change in possession?

Another question. Would it be legal to angle a kick out of bounds? Because it is not for a kickoff.

If the teams line up normally for a punt(in which a fake, would be illegal in this situation), the 4th & 15 play was clock neutral, and you could angle a punt off out of bounds, then I would be in favor of this proposal.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:26:53 am by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 10:27:53 am »

Here's a question. During this "punt off", are the teams going to be lined up for a normal punt or in a free punt formation? If they are lined up normal, this adds a brand new dynamic to the game. The opportunity for a blocked punt.

Another question. Lets say you go for the 4th & 15. Does the clock start at the snap? Does it stop after the conclusion of the play as if it was a change in possession?

Another question. Would it be legal to angle a kick out of bounds? Because it is not for a kickoff.

If the teams line up normally for a punt(in which a fake, would be illegal in this situation), the 4th & 15 play was clock neutral, and you could angle a punt off out of bounds, then I would be in favor of this proposal.
Why would you want a fake punt to be illegal? I would think a fake punt would be totally possible. I would also want out of bounds to be a penalty just like kickoffs. I WANT the team to have to field it. The way you are setting it up it would even be more pointless than the kickoff is now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:29:39 am by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:02 am »

My understanding is that after a team scores a TD or FG or at the start of the game/half the team is in 4th and & 15th on their own 30, with the exact same rules that would apply if the team had on the prior play had been 3rd and 15 and threw an incomplete pass.

el diablo
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 12:46:53 pm »

Why would you want a fake punt to be illegal? I would think a fake punt would be totally possible. I would also want out of bounds to be a penalty just like kickoffs. I WANT the team to have to field it. The way you are setting it up it would even be more pointless than the kickoff is now.

Because the kicking team would already have the option to "go for it" with the 4th & 15 option. Nobody would run a fake punt on 4th & 15 from their own 30. And the only option for a 1st down would be a touchdown. Regular punts aren't penalized for going out of bounds. These punts shouldn't be either. From the 30, you're already giving up field position with a punt. So why shouldn't the kicking team have the option to kick out of bounds? Especially if the two teams are lined up normally. The would be facing a potential block or snap mishap. Again, that's if the are lined up normally, with the receiving team on the line of scrimmage. If its a free kick, then fuck it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

Because the kicking team would already have the option to "go for it" with the 4th & 15 option. Nobody would run a fake punt on 4th & 15 from their own 30.

Would be gutsy but I could see it.

Down by a TD or less.  2:15 seconds left on the clock all three time outs.  Lineup like you are going to punt and then try to stop the other team and force them to punt.  Instead covert on 4th and keep your drive alive. 
[qoute]
And the only option for a 1st down would be a touchdown.
[/quote]

Nope if you can get the ball via run or throw to the 45 you got a first down.
Regular punts aren't penalized for going out of bounds. These punts shouldn't be either. From the 30, you're already giving up field position with a punt. So why shouldn't the kicking team have the option to kick out of bounds? Especially if the two teams are lined up normally. The would be facing a potential block or snap mishap.

agreed.

el diablo
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »

My understanding is that after a team scores a TD or FG or at the start of the game/half the team is in 4th and & 15th on their own 30, with the exact same rules that would apply if the team had on the prior play had been 3rd and 15 and threw an incomplete pass.

The reason I bring that up, is that if you recover an onside kick the clock stops. At the same time the clock wouldn't start on an onside kick until the opposing team touches the ball. In this hypothetical 4& 15, the clock should also stop on a conversion. Otherwise, the offense would be penalized for converting what would have been an onside kick.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray