Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 05:40:46 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Manti Te'o and His Imaginary Girlfriend
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Manti Te'o and His Imaginary Girlfriend  (Read 29282 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 03:40:05 pm »

so it's not a lie if the person doesn't know you are lying? That's still a lie to me.

I have no idea where that statement came from, as I said nothing of the sort. When someone twists another person's words around to create new meaning, that's a very special sort of lie.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 03:40:32 pm »

He claimed that he shook her hand.  How does one do that online?

The entire idea that he met her "online" at a Stanford away game is ridiculous.  He met her "online" when he happened to be visiting the school she goes to?

You are reaching incredibly hard.
Perhaps. Perhaps the story took on a life of it's own through the media and Te'o didn't do much to really stop it until he realized it was all a hoax.

I can't find the article now, but I'm pretty sure that I read it on Yahoo yesterday. It was one of the articles where the ND athletic director was relaying what Te'o had told him. ND has been investigating this since around Dec 26th.

Update: Here is the link

That obviously ran counter to public comments Te'o had made, including a South Bend Tribune story that ran earlier in the season. Te'o's father, Brian, also was quoted several times in the media about his son meeting Lennay.

"That's pretty much Brian Te'o," a source said. "He's a great guy, but he loves to add color."

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:17:17 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

I have no idea where that statement came from, as I said nothing of the sort.
I'm sorry, that's what I thought you were saying when you said this...

"I learned a long time ago that if you master the English language, you can pretty much say anything you want to say without fear of offending someone (if you don't want to offend) or without resorting to lying"

I must have misconstrued what you meant. Sorry, no harm intended.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:48:18 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

New news:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8857057/friend-says-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

Apparently, there is now some story that Tuiasosopo has confessed to a third party regarding what he did. It's not much, but it's something.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 03:57:06 pm »

He Skyped with his parents all the time but never with his own girlfriend? If he was duped, how did he call his girlfriend in the hospital for 8 hours just to hear her breath?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone can think he wasn't in on this and just made it up. If he was duped, his intelligence is so low he would not have completed high school, let alone college.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 05:55:38 pm »

Update: Here is the link

That obviously ran counter to public comments Te'o had made, including a South Bend Tribune story that ran earlier in the season. Te'o's father, Brian, also was quoted several times in the media about his son meeting Lennay.

"That's pretty much Brian Te'o," a source said. "He's a great guy, but he loves to add color."
An anonymous source is not "ND officials."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:57:21 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »

He Skyped with his parents all the time but never with his own girlfriend? If he was duped, how did he call his girlfriend in the hospital for 8 hours just to hear her breath?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone can think he wasn't in on this and just made it up. If he was duped, his intelligence is so low he would not have completed high school, let alone college.

That, or he was truly in love. Sometimes love will blind someone. Not an excuse, just another possibility.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

But he Skyped with his parents, why not his girlfriend?

All I know is, he lied about meeting her and everything else points to him being a liar, so he loses the benefit of the doubt. I hear from a few places that he is gay and this was just a cover. If so, I feel sorry for him not being able to come out due to religious and social stigmas, but fake break up with her. Don't fake kill her with cancer AFTER a car accident just as your Grandmother dies. That's just begging for pity and Heisman votes.

I don't know what will hurt his draft stock more: being mentally disturbed or being gay? Nothing wrong with the second, but the NFL isn't the most tolerant of places.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 08:57:26 am »

But he Skyped with his parents, why not his girlfriend?

All I know is, he lied about meeting her and everything else points to him being a liar, so he loses the benefit of the doubt. I hear from a few places that he is gay and this was just a cover. If so, I feel sorry for him not being able to come out due to religious and social stigmas, but fake break up with her. Don't fake kill her with cancer AFTER a car accident just as your Grandmother dies. That's just begging for pity and Heisman votes.

I don't know what will hurt his draft stock more: being mentally disturbed or being gay? Nothing wrong with the second, but the NFL isn't the most tolerant of places.

Where have you heard he's gay?
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:06 am »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--manti-te-o-speaks-for-first-time-since-revelation-of-girlfriend-hoax---043012320.html

Jeremy Schaap's interview w/ Manti is starting to confirm what I've come around to believe: yeah, he lied about meeting her because he realized how weird it would be to say that to reporters. But, as it was, he really cared about her, and was just too naive to realize what was happening to him.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 12:09:42 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--manti-te-o-speaks-for-first-time-since-revelation-of-girlfriend-hoax---043012320.html

Jeremy Schaap's interview w/ Manti is starting to confirm what I've come around to believe: yeah, he lied about meeting her because he realized how weird it would be to say that to reporters. But, as it was, he really cared about her, and was just too naive to realize what was happening to him.

He was asked why he didn't visit her in the hospital as she was dying. He said, and I paraphrase "I don't know, it never dawned on me. I was in school". So, scumbag at worst, liar at best.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

He was asked why he didn't visit her in the hospital as she was dying. He said, and I paraphrase "I don't know, it never dawned on me. I was in school". So, scumbag at worst, liar at best.

Damn, you hate the kid.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2013, 03:36:00 pm »

He got duped.  Rather than admit he got duped, he lied so he wouldn't look stupid.  It backfired. 

I don't think he really set out to deceive anyone, or get unjustified sympothy.  He just didn't want to admit he got duped so he killed her off so people would stop asking questions.

If he was in a position of high responsiblity or running for political office this would concern me.  Being his primary skill involves knocking people carrying an inflated pigskin to the ground, I don't see this as an issue. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »

Character is always an issue for a leader in pretty much anything ... isn't it?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »

Character is always an issue for a leader in pretty much anything ... isn't it?

Yeah.  But this guys key skill is knocking people to the ground. 

If "character" was the always the key issue for football players, Tim Tebow would be a better QB than Micheal Vick. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray