Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 03:24:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Stan The Man
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Stan The Man  (Read 2281 times)
el diablo
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:01 am »

Dark weekend in baseball. First, the passing of Earl Weaver. Then, the passing of Stan Musial. A career hitter of. 331. Finished with 3,630 hits. Coincidentally finished with 1,815 hits on the road and at home. I find that to be a fascinating statistic. More importantly to me, he was a lefty. As a Braves fan, I wasn't too involved with his career highlights as a kid growing up. But, I knew the name. I have to tip my cap to him.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:07 am »

Stan was a true legend of baseball, plus a class act all around. I still remember watching an interview that Stan did with my favorite ballplayer, Tony Gwynn, after Tony tied his mark of seven batting titles. What a wealth of jedi hitting wisdom those two had...

RIP, Stan...you were definitely The Man.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:55 am »

It's always sad when a legend passes.  But especially sad to lose a guy like Musial.  A feared hitter on the diamond and a class act off it.  R.I.P. Stan the Man.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »

It's a shame he didn't play for the Yankees, because he never seems to get the credit that he deserved because he was a Cardinal. One of the greatest hitters ever.
bsfins
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:22 am »

I learned about the greatness of Stan Musial,in an odd sort of way.I'd heard his name before this, but knew little about him,etc.

One of my neighbors when I was in my early 20's,I became pretty good friends with his grandson,Musial was his favorite ball player.Anytime you said Baseball,he'd go into his Stan Musial stories...I used to love to listen  to him talk about local history,(he was a retired truck driver,and I was driving as my job at the time) and driving trucks.(This was what he claimed) He used talk about watching Stan hit home runs out of the city park here in town when we had minor league team  (We now have the AA team for the Cardinals,We didn't have a real team at that time when he was telling me these stories.).

RIP Stan...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:48:45 am by Lil B » Logged
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:14 pm »

May his soul and the souls of all of the faithful departed, rest in peace. Amen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray