Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:29:34 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fins Preseason Schedule
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Fins Preseason Schedule  (Read 7000 times)
miamid45
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:24 am »

Preseason football isn't real "game time". It's a joke. It's on par with the pro bowl. At least in a practice you got guys in somewhat of a controlled environment and while yes there is still risk (as we saw this week) the risk is greatly reduced!

Philbin said yesterday at his press conference that he and the staff are going to sit down this week and see who actually dresses this week for the Cowboys game. Hopefully he has a little common sense and doesn't dress anyone of any significance on this team.

Especially with all the big injuries that have occurred this week...I mean Maclin, Pitta, Harvin and denver's starting center are supposedly all done for the season.  Preseason is a showcase for the few open spots, the starters hopefully have worked hard enough in practice, that come Week 1 are ready to go.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

Especially with all the big injuries that have occurred this week...I mean Maclin, Pitta, Harvin and denver's starting center are supposedly all done for the season.  Preseason is a showcase for the few open spots, the starters hopefully have worked hard enough in practice, that come Week 1 are ready to go.
All of those injuries were in PRACTICE, not a pre-season game. I think some of you think the games are more dangerous then practice is. I don't think that's true. You have so many more reps in practice that a pre-season game in comparison is relatively safe. The difference is that in practice you are going up against the same players over and over and over. You know them so well that you know what they are going to do before they do it. A game situation is completely different. It's a chance to see how you perform against an opponent. It's a chance to see you perform when the lights and the camera's are on and the fans (the few that are there) are there. It's a chance to see things at full speed, when you are taking guys to the ground and all that. It's a chance to see something different and that is EXTREMELY important especially now that contact has been limited in practices.

Haven't any of you played a sport? You honestly believe that a game, even a pre-season game isn't any different than practice? I'm shocked because I've played a lot of sports and games are ALWAYS different even if it doesn't count. You heard Mike Wallace talk about how in the scrimmage that the offense is Miami and the defense is just the competition. You don't think that's even more pronounced in a pre-season game where the competition is really just the competition? In practice a win for the offense is a loss for the defense. You don't really know what you have till you go up against an opponent. Don't be fooled by MikeO. Preseason games ARE important and they are MUCH more valuable than the STUPID pro-bowl game ESPECIALLY for guys trying to make the team. I don't mean whether you win them or not, I'm talking about you perform. For many of the players, what they do in the pre-season games may be the difference between them making the team and not making the team. It's not important for the returning veterans to play or to play well, but for just about everybody else it is important. Not more important than practice, but certainly on par with practice. If you don't think it would be HUGE for Sturgis to get into a preseason game and nail a 50 yarder, well then I don't know what to tell you because until he does it in a game, even a pre-season game it's doesn't mean squat.

I know most of you only really care about the starters, but the fact of the matter is that the starters make up less than 1/2 the team. The OTHER half the team is JUST as important when the real games start.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:24:18 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:12 am »

I agree with pappy preseason sucks for fans because starters usually are not playing for their job.  However if you are trying to make the team it is very important to the player. Philbin said he welcomed the fifth game because it gave him a chance to evaluate players in an extra game. And its kinda football well better than nothing.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »

As a fan, I like watching 3rd string guys fight for their jobs.  I like seeing guys like Chris Hogan and Jarrell Root fight to get their roster spot, and try to understand the GM's and coaches' decisions to keep or cut a guy.

I don't look at preseason to watch good football.  I watch it to see who is quality players and who might pop up on another squad somewhere later.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray