Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 06:08:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  49ers Draft Wish List
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 49ers Draft Wish List  (Read 3579 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:16:55 pm »

Late lunch boredom...figured I'd create a thread for my 49ers draft wish list. At this point, our main needs appear to be:

FS ...almost as critical to SF as Miami's LT need.
NT ...pocket penetration not as important as beefy run-stuffer
TE ...less a need than most publications make out, I see SF waiting until rd 4 or later to address
DE/OLB ...a little relief for Justin Smith and McDonald, someone who can be groomed to take McDonald's spot within a year or two
CB ...Need some depth and competition for Culliver
OC ...Goodwin is getting up in years, and represents the only "somewhat weak" link on this line
WR ...Getting Boldin, and getting Manningham back takes a little urgency out of this spot, but they'll want to get one at some point, in case Jenkins turns out to be a total bust, rather than just a slow developer

Rd 1, #31 - Trade to any team willing to give up their first rounder in 2014, preferably a team that is likely to suck this year.

Rd 2, #34 - FS Eric Reid

Rd 2, #61 - Whichever of the "too many" quality NTs slide to this spot...Jesse Williams (currently mocked here at walterfootball), Jonathan Hankins or John Jenkins

Rd 3, #74 - The best of the remaining cover corners, Hayden, Wreh-Wilson, Hawthorne

Rd 3, #93 - OC/OG David Quessenberry (he can cover either OG spot if needed between now and taking over for Goodwin)

Rd 4-7 - (9 selections) Trade for future assets wherever possible, add DT/DE depth, TE and WR with untraded picks.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »

Hopefully they draft a vial of T-Virus in Round 7 and are all turned into the undead.

A man can hope.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:15:30 pm »

You can hope for zombification all you want...the 49ers will still shamble their undead asses to the Super Bowl.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:24:44 pm »

Did the Niners pick up a back-up QB yet??
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 05:49:05 pm »

^^^ Not that he'll see the field, but we signed Colt McCoy to compete with Scott Tolzien for the back-up job.

~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »

That's a long list of needs for a team that nearly won the super bowl last year.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »

Don't look at any of them except the FS position as actual need...the rest is just a long-term grocery shopping list.

Every team has needs, all the time. They may not be pressing needs, but general "for the good of the roster" needs. Drafting a DB so you can have some cornerback depth can be a need, even if you're already starting a pair of pro bowl corners.

~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »

You can hope for zombification all you want...the 49ers will still shamble their undead asses to the Super Bowl.

Not if Seattle, Atlanta, or New Orleans have anything to say about it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:54:00 pm »

I've been pretty happy with the Baalke-Harbaugh draft brain-trust, and their 4th round picks today have me even happier.  First, we get WR Quinton Patton, who I talked about early in the draft process as someone I'd love to see Miami or SF end up with. I expected him to go off the board in rds 2-3, so getting him near the end of round 4 feels great.  Then, 3 picks later, the 49ers grab Marcus Lattimore, as a long-term developmental prospect. Give that knee even more time to heal, and get ready for 2014 and beyond. 

Our RB corps is now Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon and Marcus Lattimore. That's an embarrassment of rushing riches...
Our WR corps is now Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Quinton Patton and AJ Jenkins. Add Vernon Davis and our Delanie Walker replacement, Vance McDonald, and I think we have enough quality targets for Kaepernick.

~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:15:51 am »

I've been pretty happy with the Baalke-Harbaugh draft brain-trust, and their 4th round picks today have me even happier.  First, we get WR Quinton Patton, who I talked about early in the draft process as someone I'd love to see Miami or SF end up with. I expected him to go off the board in rds 2-3, so getting him near the end of round 4 feels great.  Then, 3 picks later, the 49ers grab Marcus Lattimore, as a long-term developmental prospect. Give that knee even more time to heal, and get ready for 2014 and beyond. 

Our RB corps is now Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon and Marcus Lattimore. That's an embarrassment of rushing riches...
Our WR corps is now Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Quinton Patton and AJ Jenkins. Add Vernon Davis and our Delanie Walker replacement, Vance McDonald, and I think we have enough quality targets for Kaepernick.

They also went crazy with edge rushers
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:06 pm »

I've been pretty happy with the Baalke-Harbaugh draft brain-trust, and their 4th round picks today have me even happier.  First, we get WR Quinton Patton, who I talked about early in the draft process as someone I'd love to see Miami or SF end up with. I expected him to go off the board in rds 2-3, so getting him near the end of round 4 feels great. 

Bump...

Since coming back from the broken finger early in camp, Patton has looked absolutely outstanding. I know he'll likely start the season as the #3 WR, but I'll bet he takes over the #2 spot within the first 3 weeks of the season.

Also, while not endorsing the mentally unstable Lavelle Hawkins, formerly of the Patriots, he's definitely showed off some skills this preseason. He's made some great catches, and even returned a kickoff 105 yards. Of course, he got called for two taunting penalties on that kickoff return (see the aforementioned "mentally unstable" descriptor), but the athleticism is pretty ridiculous.

The play he made in last night's game against the Bolts was pretty damned impressive. Tipped a high pass across the middle in the air, caught it, hurdled a guy going for his ankles, got slammed by another guy in the chest as he came down from the hurdle, pinballed off the chest thumper, scrambled to the outside and dashed down the sideline for the score.

Pretty sweet:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1755789-lavelle-hawkins-is-a-human-pinball-bounces-through-chargers-entire-secondary

~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:19 pm »

What gets me is what Marlon Moore is doing on that team.  This is a guy the Fins dumped.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »

^^ Don't you know that the Dolphins camp-fodder cast-off WR's always excel elsewhere?  Its like we're a WR powerhouse.

Anthony Armstrong with Washington
Derek Hagan with the Giants
Devin Aromashodu with Chicago
Marlon Moore with San Fran

I'm sure there are others.
Landshark
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:59:03 pm »

^^ Don't you know that the Dolphins camp-fodder cast-off WR's always excel elsewhere?  Its like we're a WR powerhouse.

Anthony Armstrong with Washington
Derek Hagan with the Giants
Devin Aromashodu with Chicago
Marlon Moore with San Fran

I'm sure there are others.

Funny how the Dolphins brought back Armstrong after he excelled with Washington and he sucked again.  Same deal with Tony Martin years ago. 

And it's not just the receivers.  Look at Samson Satele, Wade Smith, Erik Walden, and Rob Ninkovich.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray