Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:53:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB Hot Stove 2013 - Trades,and trade rumors...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2013 - Trades,and trade rumors...  (Read 10169 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 09:32:50 am »

Damn Yankees strike again. Brian McCann just signed a 5yr/$85 mil deal with them. He will be sorely missed among my fellow Braves fans.
Not really. His replacement is already there and Brian's more interested in starting fights than winning games any longer. He seems to have lost his mind in recent years

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 07:50:51 pm »

Then what the hell was the point of 2013? They tanked the season by signing "name" players who suck just for attendance, just so they could get under $189 Million in 2014. A whole year was wasted for what reason? They just gave Jeter a raise for playing poorly in 19 games, gave McCann big money and will now sign Beltran which will put them over $189 Million.

Even if Cano walks and A-Rod is suspended the whole year, they will still be over.

I don't even know what to say. Has a franchise ever thrown in the towel on a season before for no reason? Even tanking is a reason if there is a point to it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 09:07:09 pm »

$153 Million.

When he is healthy, he is a very good player who makes up for his lack of power with defense and SB skills. Still, this is a TON of money for a guy who has 33 Career HR in 511 games not counting that ridiculous, probably steroid aided season in which he hit 31 HR.

I like adding Ellsbury, but not with this superstar contract.
el diablo
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 08:34:11 am »

That Ellsbury contract surprised me. I guess this means Cano is on his way out.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:39 am »

Ellsbury contract is shocking.  I can't believe the Yankees did that.  Give the man his money, NOT THOSE YEARS.

His game is based on speed.  Amazing defense, BASED ON SPEED.  Base running - speed.  Doubles and triples?  Say it with me - speed.

A lot of people don't know this, because he doesn't look it, but Ellsbury turns 31 during the season next year.  He will be 38 when the contract ends.  38! Time flies when you're having fun and Ells has been in Boston's system for the last seven years. 

What happens to a man's legs as he ages? 

Ellsbury has a lower range arm.  Even with his speed, he hits under .300 - which has driven fans in Boston nuts.  It's crazy he hasn't been able to get past .300.  Almost no power, minus that one eye brow raising year.

The other issue is the guy can't stay on the field.  Over the last five years or so he has averaged 96 games a year.  Lots of questions about his toughness, before this big payday.

But, let me say this:  When this kid is right, the Yankees struck gold.  For the years he is good, he is really, really good.  He sets the table at the top of the order.  Speed kills.  Ellsbury and Gardner, 1-2.  Ouch.  They will be a nightmare on the bases.  At Yankee Stadium?  I am willing to wager he will pop 18-20 home runs.  He has a good swing for that shallow porch.  He'll hit a crap load of doubles.  Defensively?  You won't have to worry about anything hit anywhere in his general direction.  One of the best.

New York will get three or four REALLY good years out of him.  The back end of this deal will bite them, but they never worry about that.  One thing no one is talking about?  This is actually an eight year deal, it has a PLAYER option at the end (21.8 million).  You don't think Ellsbury, at 39 years old, won't exercise that?  Of course he will. 

But those initial years?  Those will be good years.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:54:10 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »

Speed is the last skill to go, even Ichiro is still faster than most, so I am not worried too much about that. Both injuries were fluky, but they happened nonetheless. Some players come back in 10 days after those, he took a lot longer.

This was market value for him unfortunately, salaries are almost at a bubble right now. All it takes is one stupid GM(Ned Coletti) or one stupid Steinbrenner(take your pick) to ruin everything for everyone else.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 11:55:21 am »

Speed is the last skill to go, even Ichiro is still faster than most

Edge...what sports are you watching?  The first step, and speed, is usually one of the first skills to decline.  Ichiro is a shell of what he used to be.  He was just so freakishly faster than everyone else, he still is.

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

Well, not really.  But he has inked with Seattle.  10 / $240 million.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/12/06/mariners-reel-in-robinson-cano-with-reported-10-year-240-million-contract/?eref=sihp

The Mets are supposed to be close on Grandy for 4 / 60 million.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 06:05:55 pm »

Bat speed goes first, but leg speed takes time to decline.

As far as the Cano deal goes, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA. You gave Cano a contract until he was 41 years old on a last placed team with no motivation for him to ever try again? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am glad the Yankees let him walk. This definitely makes them worse in the short run, but hopefully this means they are learning their lesson about signing infielders into their late 30's and early 40's.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 09:21:12 am »

What do you do when you have no farm system? SIGN EVERY OLD FREE AGENT!

At least it's on 3 years, but his defense makes him a DH at this point. To be honest, I am more excited about the Kelly Johnson signing. That was a very good, stealth move.

This offseason will define the team for 5 years, I hope they limit the years on these contracts.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »

Cano to the Mariners for 10 years and$240 Million. I understand they need to make a splash and drastically overpay for anyone to sign with them, but when the Yankees are showing financial restraint, maybe take a closer look as to why.

Cano has all the talent in the world and the Yankees are worse off for not having him, but he has always been a moody prick and his press conference further illustrated that. Let's see how he handles last placed finishes without a financial motivation. We all know he won't make it to 41, but I would be surprised if he is still elite at 36.

The M's also signed Corey Hart which was a fantastic move, one I wished the Yankees would've done instead of Beltran. Their numbers are very similar, but Hart came much cheaper due to injury.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray