Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 08, 2024, 12:47:39 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Classy move by Patriots: Jersey Exchange
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Classy move by Patriots: Jersey Exchange  (Read 15096 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 09:02:18 am »

Before you berate the Patriots for not doing it EXACTLY the way you think they should handle it, I challenge you to name a single instance where an NFL team handled it better.   

You act as though this is a common occurrence, active NFL star players being accused of murder.

OJ Simpson = long retired.

Ray Lewis = not accused of murder.

Sure, it happens.  Jovan Belcher murdered his girlfriend.  Did anyone know who he was before this happened?  People speak about Rae Carruth like he was a star.  The man had 62 career receptions in two seasons (under 1,000 yards).

Unless I'm completely out of school, this is the first star player to be charged with MURDER.  This isn't obstruction of justice.  It isn't manslaughter, which players have actually come back from and played (which is kind of staggering to me, actually).

Murder-1.

So, yeah.  I can't "name a single instance where an NFL team handled it better", Patriots fan, because it hasn't happened.

I believe it's better than doing nothing at all.  I also believe people thinking the Pats are doing this "for the fans" need to wipe their chins and understand why they are really doing it and understand (1) they could be doing a hell of a lot more (if you don't think they could easily ID a replica jersey, you're fooling yourself) and (2) doing it in a better way (making people drive to Foxboro on a holiday weekend when they know a lot of people WON'T BOTHER TO GO).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:04:50 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 12:31:18 pm »

I admit I thought it was much cooler before I saw all of the restrictions. Not sure why they wouldn't accept all "official" jerseys. To me it's one of those things that if you are going to do it then at least do it. don't half ass it.

The Patriots make zero money on a Brady Jersey sold by NFL.com.  The only jersey they make money on are the ones sold at their own pro-shop.

Your complaint is basically like saying if Target was truly concerned about consumer service they won't just take returns on products they sold but also return for product purchased at Walmart. 

The Patriots pro-shop is allowing returns of Hernandez jerseys purchased at the Patriots pro-shop.  If you have any real beef it should be why isn't the NFL.com pro-shop doing the same. 

I find this to be a good act by the Pats, and if I was to buy an official jersey I now would without question buy it from the Patriots, before it would be of no consequence if I got it from the Pats or the NFL. So yes, this is a good business decision. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:39 pm »

The Patriots make zero money on a Brady Jersey sold by NFL.com.  The only jersey they make money on are the ones sold at their own pro-shop.

Your complaint is basically like saying if Target was truly concerned about consumer service they won't just take returns on products they sold but also return for product purchased at Walmart. 

The Patriots pro-shop is allowing returns of Hernandez jerseys purchased at the Patriots pro-shop.  If you have any real beef it should be why isn't the NFL.com pro-shop doing the same. 

I find this to be a good act by the Pats, and if I was to buy an official jersey I now would without question buy it from the Patriots, before it would be of no consequence if I got it from the Pats or the NFL. So yes, this is a good business decision. 

Finally a sensible statement.  I don't know if the Patsies came up with this on their own (or perhaps a recent purchase by a fan requesting a return prompted the offer), but it is good business sense.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:09 pm »

^^^ Agree completely, and since I'm not a Pats fan, there isn't anything on my chin.

It's like my Dad used to say...some folks can find a way to complain about a rainbow.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »

The only thing I can think of that's similar in recent memory is Michael Vick.  I think it was pretty hard to see kids wearing a Vick jersey after he got caught killing dogs.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 05:26:34 pm »

Did the Eagles offer their fans a Michael Vick jersey buy-back program? I don't seem to recall that happening.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »

Did the Eagles offer their fans a Michael Vick jersey buy-back program? I don't seem to recall that happening.

I would've if I was the Falcons owner
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:51 pm »

I did a "shallow" search for any Michael Vick jersey buy-back program (shallow = 3 pages deep in Google results) and found nothing, so unless someone has some hidden info, I'll assume that it didn't happen.

I would've if I was the Falcons owner 

Perhaps in your next incarnation, you can be Arthur Blank... (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more.)

~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:59 pm »

Perhaps in your next incarnation, you can be Arthur Blank... (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more.)

Considering Michael Vick wasn't an Eagle when he was busted for dog fighting, the comment below is just as moronic as the one above.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 08:59:40 am »

Signed Hernandez jersey went for over $1200 on Ebay. I think New England is stockpiling them just to make some money!!  Wink Grin

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »

Signed Hernandez jersey went for over $1200 on Ebay. I think New England is stockpiling them just to make some money!!  Wink Grin

Some people are insane.  Granted, Hernandez jerseys will be less common because of this, I don't think they will have much value as a collectors item once he is out of the news.  He was a good player not a great player.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 06:07:59 pm »

It's only for those who have purchased a jersey from the shop at Gillette or its website, and you have to still be able to prove the purchase.

NOT TRUE.  No receipt necessary.  It's on your honor that you didn't buy it from NFL.com.  But cheap counterfeits won't work.   

It's not like they are accepting every jersey that comes in.

http://library.kraftsportsgroup.com/20130703_81JerseySwap_Details.pdf

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

I read the other day that this ended up costing the Pats about $250K.  Probably well worth it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 02:43:56 pm »

I read the other day that this ended up costing the Pats about $250K.  Probably well worth it.

I am willing to bet that they made much of that back from people buying other stuff.  I am sure some folks just exchanged the shirt, but some exchanged the shirt and bought an armful of other stuff. 

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:32 am »

^^^$250k is chump change in the billions o' dollars world of the NFL and the Franchises.  But I'm sure the money they lost was more than worth it in terms of PR.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray