Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 12:55:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ten thoughts on Saints 38, Dolphins 17
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ten thoughts on Saints 38, Dolphins 17  (Read 8520 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:51 am »

We could probably do a different thread for each of these but I won't do that.  See something that intrigues you then address it.

Eighteen sacks (in four games), that’s 4 1/2 a game. Too many.” Dan Marino wasn’t sacked 18 times in his first eight seasons.

It amazes me how much we accept our QB getting hit. I guess it amazes me even more that Tannehill doesn't ever seem to be affected by it for the most part.

Dave Hyde
10:35 a.m. EDT, October 1, 2013

Ten Thoughts on the Dolphins loss in New Orleans:

1. It’s never a good thing when you use the word, “onslaught,” to describe what happened to you. And that was Joe Philbin’s word about the manner Ryan Tannehill was hit in Monday night’s loss. Tannehill was sacked 4 ½ times, upping his total to 18 on the second. Some of that was the Saints knowing the Dolphins had to throw the ball. “In the first half they really hadn’t hit Ryan at all,’’ Joe Philbin said. “We had a very good running game, we were protecting the quarterback, we were throwing the ball relatively well, we had good balance. Then when we got down 35-10, that’s when the onslaught began. Eighteen sacks (in four games), that’s 4 1/2 a game. Too many.” Dan Marino wasn’t sacked 18 times in his first eight seasons. Tannehill is on pace for a franchise-record 72 sacks. Then again, if he approaches that number, he probably won’t be healthy for all the games.

2. The disappointment of Monday went beyond the score. As I've said, this was the toughest game on the schedule because of the opponent and locale. But the revealing part was how easily Drew Brees shredded the Dolphins defense, completing 76.9 percent of his passes for four touchdowns and 413 yards. Brees is one of the top five quarterbacks in the league. But the Saints don’t even pretend they’re going to beat you running the ball. You expected the Dolphins defense, even without Cameron Wake, to put up a fight. They didn’t. Speaking of which …

3. What’s happened to safety Reshad Jones? On the first play of the game, he took a bad coverage angle against Darren Sproles and the Saints had their first big play of the game. This kind of thing is happening too much to Jones, who last year took a big stride forward and was rewarded with a healthy contract. That goes for the entire safety play. Chris Clemons was beat for a touchdown last night. Drew Brees has his way with a lot of good defenses. But sometimes it was just too easy for him.

4. The easy second guess of a call was third-and-1 from the Saints 9-yard line on the Dolphins first drive. It wasn’t one yard to go. It was an inch, really. You could see a surprise end-zone pass. You could see a quarterback sneak. It was a play open for options. Instead, a slow-developing sweep with slow-moving Daniel Thomas was called. Thomas was thrown for a 2-yard loss. A field goal was kicked. Still …

5. Perhaps the lone bright spot of the night was the Dolphins showed an ability to run the ball. They averaged 70 yards rushing a game this year. They had 57 on the game-opening drive. Lamar Miller had 11 carries for 62 yards before the score had the Dolphins abandon the run. On his 5-yard touchdown run, Miller was untouched running behind Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito. The running game had little bearing on this game. It was a good sign regardless considering the running game hadn’t been seen much this year.

6. The Dolphins have won the coin flip all four times to start the game and deferred each time to end up kicking off. Joe Philbin isn’t the only coach doing this. Lots do. Tony Sparano did for the Dolphins, too. So I understand it’s a given idea. But maybe this should be thought a little more on a night like this. The Saints took the opening drive for a touchdown on six plays and 82 yards. The Dolphins were playing catch-up the rest of the night. My question: Do you want to give the best player on the field, Drew Brees, a chance to set the tempo for the night right from the start?

7. Mike Wallace, three catches for 24 yards against New Orleans. Two catches for 22 yards against Atlanta. One catch for 15 yards against Cleveland. That’s just not enough. On Monday, he should have had a long catch, possibly for a touchdown, after getting a step behind the defense. Tannehill underthrew it a little and the pass went incomplete. But after Wallace threw a tantrum he got nine catches for 115 yards against Indianapolis and was used creatively. His speed and talent demand that kind of use and it’s not happening too often.

8. Tannehill has fumbled an NFL-high six times this year. That’s just too much and it comes down to just being smarter in protecting the ball. On Monday night, things began to go south for the Dolphins when his 8-yard scramble ended with him getting hit and fumbling. “He’s got to go down quicker,’’ Philbin said. Sometimes it’s as easy as that.

9. All these issues from Monday, and the 3-1 start is the big picture. Any Dolphins fan would have taken that for September, no matter how it came. And now ...

10. Next game: Baltimore in Sun Life Stadium. This game is bigger in the big scheme than Monday night’s loss. It’s a conference game against another team that will be in the playoff picture. Win, and the Dolphins go  to 4-1 while sending Baltimore to 2-3. Lose, and both teams are 3-2 and Baltimore gets a tiebreaker edge against the Dolphins.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-hyde10-ten-thoughts-on-saints-38-dolphins-17-20131001,0,5894951.story?track=rss

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:01:21 am »

We could probably do a different thread for each of these but I won't do that.  See something that intrigues you then address it.

Eighteen sacks (in four games), that’s 4 1/2 a game. Too many.” Dan Marino wasn’t sacked 18 times in his first eight seasons.

False.  He was sacked 18 times in 1985 (3rd season).

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:35 pm »

Of all the things he said I think #10 is the most important. Win a winnable game next week and you can forget this debacle ever occurred. It really is as simple as that.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

That problem there is that two of the next three opponents (Buffalo and Baltimore next week) are particularly good at what is Miami's most glaring weakness- the sack problem. -EK
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »

The 1st two TO's by Tannehill, while it changed the momentum of the game, happens sometime to a young QB so I can forgive him for now.  It was big game on MNF and against a solid team.

The 1st mistake was that 3rd & short (2 fockin inches!) and the call to the sweep to the short side of the field.  I told my boy why we're watching the game "He's going with either a QB sneak or a fake run/pass to the EZ", he did neither and we settled for 3 pts

The 2nd mistake was allowing NO to convert on some long 3rd downs and kept their OFF on the field and score points shortly thereafter. 

I really thought at the end of the half, if we could get a chance for a FG or go in at 14-10, I would be happy with that.  The INT before the half killed any mo' right there for MIA.

Finally, we can officially say that Phillip Wheeler sucks?!?!?  Seriously, can anyone name something positive that he has done this year?  I recall one play against IND where he knocked a pass down at the line of scrimmage on a blitz.  That's it.

I saw him whiff on many tackles last nite, beat on pass routes and always chasing the ball carrier.  Am I wrong here?

Ellerbe is the real deal.  He has taken over for Dansby and made some nice tackles and defended in coverage.  The same cannot be said for Wheeler.  I'm wishing Burnett was back in MIA and that's bad!

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »

Of all the things he said I think #10 is the most important. Win a winnable game next week and you can forget this debacle ever occurred. It really is as simple as that.

I would agree. If they lose to Baltimore they are in bad shape for the wildcard race, if they win they are in good shape.  

Lose to Baltimore and both NE games become must win for the Dolphins.  

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »

I would agree. If they lose to Baltimore they are in bad shape for the wildcard race, if they win they are in good shape.  

Lose to Baltimore and both NE games become must win for the Dolphins.  

Miami is a .500 team that got off to a good start, caught a few breaks. They have a realistic chance of parleying that start (3-1 now) to 10 wins, given the weakness of the AFC East this year.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »

Miami is a .500 team that got off to a good start, caught a few breaks. They have a realistic chance of parleying that start (3-1 now) to 10 wins, given the weakness of the AFC East this year.

I think you need more than 10 wins the make the playoffs this year. 

Ten wins won't win the division, nor a wild card.  The loser of KC/Denver (most likely KC) will be the 5 seed, and there is a crowd in the hunt for #6.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »

Miami is a .500 team that got off to a good start, caught a few breaks.

What breaks did Miami catch? I don't see how they caught any breaks. They won the first 3 games because they played better than their opponents and 2 of those opponents were better teams on paper
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »

What breaks did Miami catch? I don't see how they caught any breaks. They won the first 3 games because they played better than their opponents and 2 of those opponents were better teams on paper

The Atlanta win was lucky in my book.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39:44 pm »

Is it a lucky break that Indy picked up Richardson after Miami played them? The way Sproles ran all over Miami last night, I wonder what Trent might have done if he were in Indy for that game, which, let's not forget, Miami squeaked by in as well. -EK
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »

Is it a lucky break that Indy picked up Richardson after Miami played them? The way Sproles ran all over Miami last night, I wonder what Trent might have done if he were in Indy for that game, which, let's not forget, Miami squeaked by in as well. -EK

Sproles only rushed for 26 yards. It was his receiving that killed us. I wouldn't worry about a guy who averages 3.5 yards in Richardson.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »

Is it a lucky break that Indy picked up Richardson after Miami played them?

NEWSFLASH: Miami played Trent Richardson Week 1!!! And it was UNLUCKY that we played Cleveland when they had Trent Richardson. It all balances out!

The way Sproles ran all over Miami last night, I wonder what Trent might have done if he were in Indy for that game, which, let's not forget, Miami squeaked by in as well. -EK

So "squeaking by" in winning a game on the road vs a playoff team isn't good anymore?That might be the dumbest thing you have ever said and that is really saying something!  Man you really are here just to stir shit up as Spider said. For a guy who isn't a fan of the Dolphins and brags about not watching many if any of the games you sure are an "expert" on everything Dolphins. The day you show up on this site after a Dolphins win and say something "positive" about the team and the victory that's when you will be taken seriously. ...ah screw it we know it will never happen!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »

Finally, we can officially say that Phillip Wheeler sucks?!?!?  Seriously, can anyone name something positive that he has done this year?
game-clinching sack against IND

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »

Man, if only there were some way to know what Trent Richardson would have done if he played against the Dolphins this year.

I'm no psychic, but if Richardson had played against this year's Dolphins, I'd see him running about 13 times for 47 yards and 0 scores.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray