Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:27:58 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Away Game Experiences
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Away Game Experiences  (Read 3950 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:37:22 pm »

What other stadiums have you visited besides your home team?  What was the environment?  Did you feel safe?  Were fans friendly?  And did you win/lose?  How did you treat other fans?

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:11:14 pm »

I went to MIA@OAK (win) in 2010 and MIA@SF (loss) in 2012.

The first game was with Phinvaders, so I was one of about 30 Dolphins fans in a section.  There was really only one obnoxious guy in front of us, but that became a lot easier to deal with in a blowout win.  Other than that, I enjoyed myself.  A buddy of mine is a Raiders season ticket holder, and I did a bit of tailgating with him; everyone was friendly.  (On a side note, OAK returned the opening kickoff for a TD... that was the loudest I've heard anything in my life.)

I went to the second game with my dad and uncle.  Another friend of mine happened to be going to that game with his family, so we tailgated with them for a bit and had a good time.  I had no problems whatsoever from 49er fans, even though MIA lost that game.

I went to both games in full Dolphins gear.  While walking around the stadium, I don't remember anyone saying anything to me at SF, and at OAK it was all good-natured.  I had heard all the horror stories about the fans in Oakland, and so my general response to anyone that started talking was something along the lines of "I just hope we get through the game without any major injuries."  Everyone smiled and wished me a good game.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:33:57 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:45:30 am »

I've been I almost every jets/Miami game for the past 25 years.....Jets fans are BRUTAL.  I grew up a mile from the stadium and fear for my life every time I go.  There hasn't been a year when I haven't almost gotten into a fight.

Ive been to 2 fins/giants games in the same stadium and It's a world of difference. ...they pretty much ignored me. 

Went to an Eagles/fins game with Philly and they didn't even look at us.  I was disappointed; I expected more.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:59 am »

I've been I almost every jets/Miami game for the past 25 years.....Jets fans are BRUTAL.  I grew up a mile from the stadium and fear for my life every time I go.  There hasn't been a year when I haven't almost gotten into a fight.

Ive been to 2 fins/giants games in the same stadium and It's a world of difference. ...they pretty much ignored me. 

Went to an Eagles/fins game with Philly and they didn't even look at us.  I was disappointed; I expected more.

That difference may be do to the rivalries.

E.g. If you showed up to a Giants and Jets games wearing Cowboys or Eagles jersey you might have had the opposite experience with the fan bases. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:03 am »

I have been to Jacksonville (during the Run Ricky Run era) and it was rather tame. I did not have a word said to me by their fanbase, not even a good natured ribbing.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:11:00 am »

As well ... I've only been to Tampa.  That's almost a 50/50 game at anytime so it's always good natured ribbing at best.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:42:34 pm »

Giants - Miami, last year was pretty mellow.  Everyone was cool, however the Giants expected to walk all over Miami.

Patriots - Miami, several times back in the Marino years when the Pats weren't that good, never had a problem.  Had plans to go this weekend for the first time in probably ten years, but plans got cancelled just yesterday.

Eagles - Miami, a couple times back in the Marino years, including Shula's record breaking winning game.  Always seem to be one or two real assholes in the stands that give you grief for half the game.

Buffalo - Miami, too many times to count.  It used to be pretty brutal back in the Marino/Kelly days, last couple years not bad at all.  Although after last years Thursday night loss I caught a lot of grief in the parking lot after the game.  Not unusual when some people have had all day to drink before the game, and Miami losing doesn't help.

Surprisingly I've never made it to a Jets-Miami game even though I only live about 3 1/2 hours away, I guess it's because I don't know any Jets fans that want to go to games.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:11:58 pm »

I've been to:

Tampa, Jacksonville - Both fine.  Lots of Dolphins fans, not rivalries, so it was without issue.

Dallas (twice) - Once where we won big, the other where we were beat big.  Dallas fans, to their credit, were great.  They were passionate, gave you gentle friendly ribbing, but were congratulatory in defeat and humble in victory.  Never did I feel threatened.  Great experience both times.

Jets (twice) - A little surreal, since I hate the Jets and they hate us.  Once was in the old stadium, then in the new.  In the old stadium, I felt a little out of my element.  There were no incidents, but I was kinda obnoxious.  We had about 20 of us together.  The 2nd time, we had 200 sitting together, so it didn't matter.  It might as well have been a home game.  I'm going back again this year, and (so far) we have 560 (you read that right) sitting together.

Houston - Neat stadium.  Kinda indoor and outdoor at the same time.  It was uneventful and we got beat.  Not quite as friendly as Dallas. 

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »

I have been to Jacksonville (during the Run Ricky Run era) and it was rather tame. I did not have a word said to me by their fanbase, not even a good natured ribbing.
Was this in 2003?  If so, Dave, Fau and I were there as well...

Jacksonville - Oct 12, 2003

Canton, OH (vs Bears) - Aug 12, 2005

Tampa Bay - Oct 16, 2005

NY Jets - Oct 28, 2012

NY Jets - Dec 1, 2013
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »

Was this in 2003?  If so, Dave, Fau and I were there as well...

Jacksonville - Oct 12, 2003

Yes it was. That was a fun game because we had taken so many on the chin from Jacksonville previously. The people I went with were Jags season ticket holders. We had wonderful seats and a very cool area for parking as well (They had a group that parked at some businesses right by the stadium).
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »

I've been I almost every jets/Miami game for the past 25 years.....
You going this year?
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »

I have only seen Miami play as the away team here in AZ. But as a long time Cardinals season ticket holder for those few games that I do show up in my Miami gear everyone knows me and it is all in good fun the amount of shit I receive.

I did travel with some friends a few years ago to watch the Cardinals play the Saints in what turned out to be Kurt Warner's last game. It was a playoff game and we were 1 out of only around 200 total Cardinals fans in a packed Superdome. The Saints won and the place was rocking. I had a fantastic time there and those people knew how to have a good time. We were treated extremely well by everyone. I think maybe 3 people if memory serves me correctly actually were douche bags. Most shook our hands ribbed us when the Saints scored and gave us high fives and told us good game afterwards. It was an all around great experience!!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:47:10 pm »

Denver - Back in the late 80's my dad took me to a preseason game against Miami. It was a very cool experience seeing that it was my first live NFL game. Sucks that it was preseason, but I got to see a little bit of Elway playing, and seeing Shula on the sidelines was cool. Unfortunately Marino didn't make it to that game (I think he was hurt or something). For it being a preseason game the place was loud. I sported my Duper jersey, and the fans were great to us; a couple of good natured "boos". 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:49:27 pm by Thundergod » Logged
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »

You going this year?

you know it
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 08:45:47 am »

Being a Fins fan stuck here in Dallas, I go to every game that the Dolphins play here.  Cowboys fans are always very gracious.  Some good natured ribbing and a lot of kindness.  Several times, guys in Cowboys jerseys have asked if they could pose for pictures with me in my Dolphins colors (usually with us jokingly raising our fists at each other or something).  Not knowing that we are "locals", folks often ask my wife and I like the stadium, offer up restaurant and bar recommendations, welcome us to Dallas, etc. Having moved here from South Florida 7 years ago, my wife and I are still caught off guard sometimes by now nice Texans are. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray