Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 05:25:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLS Expanding to Miami
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MLS Expanding to Miami  (Read 5589 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:32:03 am »

A source is claiming that David Beckham has chosen Miami to expand.  Any soccer fans out there?  Of those out there, do any of you care?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:47:06 am »

Will they be playing at Joe Robbie Stadium/Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium/Dolphin Stadium/Dolphins Stadium/Land Shark Stadium/Sun Life Stadium?

If so this could benefit the Dolphins.  The more tenants to spread out the cost of upgrade to, the easier it is to get said upgrades. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:00:23 am »

This is a bit misrepresented here. The MLS is in discussions with Beckham about creating an expansion team and Beck has said he would like it to be Miami. There are no timeframes and Miami has not been awarded a team. It is pretty much a done deal that Orlando is the next expansion city given statements from the league (though just short of confirmation) and the fact that the city, county, and a neighboring county have all approved funding for a new soccer specific stadium (land site already picked as well). Add to the fact we have an existing team and ownership that is looking to jump up rather than start from scratch.

MLS would not allow a team to play in Dolphins stadium. It is too large and that has been our holdup in Orlando since our team has been playing in the Citrus Bowl. The Miami area is going to have to pony up for a new stadium if they want a team I expect.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:02:54 am by Phishfan » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:04:26 am »

Miami and Beckham are getting a team. It's been in the works for at least two years that I know of. Orlando will be making their official announcement soon.

Miami will play the same card Orlando has been playing just to get as much community support as possible but they already know what's going on.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:22 am »

No doubt Miami is a desire, but I don't see MLS taking it seriously unless Miami builds a stadium and I don't see that happening. Also, Orlando getting a team helps with their desire for Florida in general.

I just see things working more against them for them at this point but I admit CF hears much more about it than I do.
Landshark
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:51 am »

They already tried it in Miami and it didn't work. I don't see it working this time either.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:25:40 am »

if they build a stadium in broward / palm beach i'll seriously consider season tickets for the family.

a - they can't be expensive .. it's MLS
b - i <3 soccer .. it's my #3 sport after football and basketball

they could play at the new FAU stadium .. that would rule actually.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:19:17 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:57 am »

^^^Any idea what the seating capacity is? Not a bad looking stadium.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:24 pm »

Don't know the capacity of FAU exactly, but I know that it's designed to be expandable in the endzones, should they want to increase capacity.  My favorite thing about this stadium is in the top left corner of this pic, there are palm trees and a sandy beach in the corner, near the endzone.  FAU would probably be a perfect fit, actually.

EDIT: In the failed Dolphins renovation plans, there was a Hurricanes configuration that would block off seats.  I'm assuming that you could block the entire upper bowl in an MLS configuration and still have it look nice.  But would the seats that came so close to the field make it impossible for soccer, I wonder?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »

Don't know the capacity of FAU exactly, but I know that it's designed to be expandable in the endzones, should they want to increase capacity. 

The stadium seats 30.000...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:37 pm »

I don't see a need to expand that stadium for a long time (ever) anyway. 

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 04:37:00 pm »

The stadium seats 30.000...

I think that would work actually. I know they've looked at it. The league wants soccer specific stadiums around 20,000 but I can't see how they couldn't make that stadium more intimate until they build something.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 05:20:13 pm »

It doesn't look like the field is wide enough for soccer.  Judging by what Sun Life looks like in soccer format, compared to this, it just seems too narrow by sight.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 12:18:50 am »

It doesn't look like the field is wide enough for soccer.  Judging by what Sun Life looks like in soccer format, compared to this, it just seems too narrow by sight.
A soccer field is anywhere from 10-20 yards wider and is about 110-120 yards long. not hard to find 15'-30' on either side of the actual football field.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:13 am »

They already play soccer at FAU.  My friend went to a Germany int'l friendly a few months ago.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray