Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:50:38 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2014 MLB Hall of Fame ballot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 2014 MLB Hall of Fame ballot  (Read 9308 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »

^ Yeah....but I think it's dumb.  If you played, were super famous and super good, and never got caught, you should be in.

I drink your milkshake!
el diablo
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »

I actually agree with that. Baseball failed to test. Not the players' fault.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »

I think they should let all the roid-heads get in.  And Pete Rose.

I'm coming around on this.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »

Baseball drug use dates back to the 70's where there was basically candy jars of speed for guys to get juiced up on. Might as well let the PED guys in as well. I also agree Rose should be voted in. The HOF has allowed him to be represented in their establishment, they might as well induct him also. All or none it should be.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »

I would just rather put it behind you and let the guys in than sports writers trying to be retroactive sleuths to figure out who was and wasn't using.  Baseball had an era where a blind eye was turned to drugs.  Deal with it and move on.  I think it's actually worse to constantly debate it ad nauseum forever.  Or I suppose you can just shut down the hall for the next 20 years and let nobody in, but that's even worse.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:44:57 pm »

OOOOR you can say who cares to the baseball HoF .. or any HoF for that matter .. big old .. who gives a rats ass. No thank you i say .. no reason to spend any money visiting them at all.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »

16 people didn't vote for Greg Maddux. 16 people should not have votes.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

16 people didn't vote for Greg Maddux. 16 people should not have votes.
This made me laugh and then I paused because you are absolutely right.

As a Braves fan I couldn't be happier for Maddux and Glavine.  They gave us a lot of good fantastic years!! Someone said something about longevity for Glavine but if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

I only saw Thomas play in person once. He would have made a great football player.  Funny thing was it was Spring training and Michael Jordon was playing with them. Outside of about 70lbs they were built very similar. Big guys and long arms.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 07:26:18 pm »

The Hall voters, mainly the old ones have this belief that because Babe Ruth did not get 100% of the vote, NOBODY should get 100% of the vote. Now, it's possible that some of these votes were blank as a form of protest towards steroids or whatever, but very unlikely all 16 of them were this way.

This is why I am glad Dan LeBatard gave his vote to the Deadspin readers. The whole system is a sham and his ballot was one of the better ones.
Landshark
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

^ Yeah....but I think it's dumband.  If you played, were super famous and super good, and never got caught, you should be in.

If you were a good husband at home and treated your wife like utmost royalty but kept a mistress on the side and your wife found out about it 15 years later after if happened, should she bust you for cheating on her despite the fact that it happened in the past?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »

^^^ Maybe, but I'm betting she doesn't vote you into the Husband Hall of Fame...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »

^^^ Maybe, but I'm betting she doesn't vote you into the Husband Hall of Fame...

Exactly my point.  These guys were caught after the fact, so they suffer the consequences after the fact.  You can't convict these guys in a court of law, but you can do it in a court of public opinion, which is what the Hall of Fame is.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 09:27:21 pm »

I'm not on the side that's advocating letting the 'Roid Rangers into the Hall. Just the opposite.

I am all for Pete Rose getting in, just because betting on baseball didn't do anything to pad his stats. It was just a character flaw, an addiction, and I have no problem letting a human being with an addiction into the Hall.

Cheaters who juiced so they could hit 70 HRs in a season...no place for them in my Hall.

Flip side of the drug coin..., If a player had no-doubt Hall of Fame numbers, but had a problem with alcohol or smoking pot...I'd still let them in, because pot and alcohol aren't performance enhancers.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:27 pm »

I'm not on the side that's advocating letting the 'Roid Rangers into the Hall. Just the opposite.

I am all for Pete Rose getting in, just because betting on baseball didn't do anything to pad his stats. It was just a character flaw, an addiction, and I have no problem letting a human being with an addiction into the Hall.

Cheaters who juiced so they could hit 70 HRs in a season...no place for them in my Hall.

Flip side of the drug coin..., If a player had no-doubt Hall of Fame numbers, but had a problem with alcohol or smoking pot...I'd still let them in, because pot and alcohol aren't performance enhancers.

Pete Rose I would allow in because Pete Rose the player accomplished what he did fair and square.  It was Pete Rose the manager who made those bets.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:16 am »

I am placed firmly in this camp as well.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray