Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:34:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Stay in school or go pro?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Stay in school or go pro?  (Read 7587 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »

If I was Blake Bortles I would go pro. He made himself a millionaire last night.

University of Florida boosters have to be upset. They chose Jeff Driskel from little ole Oviedo when Blake Bortles was playing 5 miles down the road and not getting any media love. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Landshark
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 03:44:02 pm »

So then what, exactly, are you arguing for?  If you're a 6th-round player that comes out early, it's almost certainly because there were factors that were likely to prevent you from completing your degree (e.g. you can't afford to stay in college).  That isn't really much of a choice then, is it?

Even for the last pick in the 7th round, the signing bonus alone is more than enough to finish his degree.

How can you not afford to stay in college when you're on a scholarship?

If I was Blake Bortles I would go pro. He made himself a millionaire last night.

University of Florida boosters have to be upset. They chose Jeff Driskel from little ole Oviedo when Blake Bortles was playing 5 miles down the road and not getting any media love. 

That win did a lot for UCF as well.  Recruits around the country have taken notice as a win like that will put UCF football on the map.  And if Bortles does go pro, UCF has its pick of the best quarterback recruits in the country as they will see an opportunity to play as a freshman.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »

There are two answers.  1) Everything isn't free in college and you still have certain expenses with no income.  2) opportunity cost.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 05:13:35 pm »

UCF has its pick of the best quarterback recruits in the country as they will see an opportunity to play as a freshman.

Most of the top QBs for the 2014 class have committed already. If I were guessing who would replace Bortles, it would be their top QB recruit from last year, Tyler Harris. Justin Holman, who's a year ahead of Harris. was officially Bortles backup this year, and saw a tiny bit of mop-up duty late in a couple of games, but I think Harris will be the replacement if Bortles jumps to the NFL this offseason. Size and mobility-wise, Harris is very similar to Bortles.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »

If someone offered you a "job" where you didn't get paid (but your room and board is taken care of), that certainly wouldn't mean you are financially set.  Any sort of outside costs (e.g. family expenses) mean you are in financial trouble.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray